Need DM opinions about Gnome equipage...

Les Moore

Explorer
As a Gnome/ Druid, this character has access to many useful natural substances, as equipment /components for play.
This character lives in the woods, talks to animals, and has, IMO, unique free access to items not listed in the Player's
Manual. Items such as beeswax, honey, bee-glue(propolis), spider web, as a strong thin cord, spider venom, snake venom,
large thorns, for natural darts, etc.

As DM, what is your opinion of the acceptability of these items? Many mundane items would still be needed,
vials for poison, a jar for honey, and a satchel, to carry equipment, for example.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Great especially as collecting all those things requires effort (is threat of being stung and poisoned) and extra containers
None of the items listed are particularly special either

Les Moore

Explorer
Fullcaster, maybe you would care to elaborate on what you find so humorous. There is literally no mention of this issue
through any published edition of the PHB.

Last edited:

CydKnight

Explorer
I think it's fine but you may want to put limits on it such as the amount a small humanoid might be able to carry along with other starting equipment. However, you could also make it a proficiency allowing the gathering of such items as long as it is in a type of natural terrain familiar to the gnome (at the DM's discretion of course).

Personally, I'd allow basically any player to say they had items like this. If I had a druid who wanted to feel more special, I might restrict it to them, or say the others have to pay a gold every time they're in town to restock, but that's about all. If someone wants to have some quality-of-life stuff like beeswax or honey, I don't mind.

Stuff like spider and snake venom, on the other hand, wouldn't be handwaved, even for a druid. For the most part, I'd say they have a guaranteed time of getting those things, but it would require downtime and the use of Speak with Animals/Animal Friendship. But poison in the PHB has a considerable listed cost, so it'd need to either be a downtime thing or something the druid does as the opportunity arises during play by spending spell slots and spell preparation on those particular things - or by, say, killing/knocking a snake unconscious and milking it with a Nature check, as described in the DMG. DC 20, I think? That might be a bit high, but idk.

Remove ads