D&D 5E Need fun cursed sword ideas!

Gerard Holder

First Post
Make it an intelligent sword with a cowardly conscious. So whenever he attacks, the sword calls out "DUCK!" and "LOOK OUT!"
At first he hears it in his head but eventually everyone hears it. It is why he misses so much.
After the battle, it sobs or pouts, or makes up excuses why it did what it did.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Sword of the Wet Noodle
If the wielder ever rolls a '1' to-hit, the sword immediately goes limp, like a wet noodle. It performs as if it were a makeshift weapon thereafter. When the wielder takes a short rest, the sword "gets its mojo back", straightens up, and returns to being a sword.

Throwing Sword of Boomerang
The sword gains the property Thrown (range as a javelin). It automatically returns to your hand after it hits a target. If it misses the intended target, it attacks the wielder using his own attack bonuses.

Sword of Warlording
(Because this sword is supposed to be forged in a time of desperation)
1 / encounter, the wielder can strike a target and invoke the sword's power. All allies within 60 feet of the wielder must immediately use a reaction to attack that target. The allies do not get a Save vs. this effect.

Sword of the Pincushion
The wielder may choose to receive a damage bonus in melee combat, but until the beginning of his next turn any ranged projectile whose flight path passes within 10 feet of him diverts; the wielder suffers the attack instead of the intended target. Measure flight path as a straight line.

Grognerd

Explorer
I guess it depends on how silly you want your fun to be. The big fluffy rabbit ears above are fun in a silly sort of way. But does that fit your campaign? Are you looking for a sillly-fun curse, or a thematic-fun curse? That would help us know what kind of suggestions to give.

I tend towards thematic-fun in my games. And the best curses are those that you don't initially even see as a curse. It's more insidious that way. I also like the subtle transformations of otherwise beneficial properties into something dangerous. For example, say the sword had the minor property "gleaming" so it is never dirty. Now let's turn it into a curse: the sword is gleaming because magic makes the blood flow away from the blade. In this case, the blood flows downward, so it drips from the blade onto the hands of whoever is holding the sword. Now you have two options. One option is that the magically repelled blood causes a loss of grip, so the character risks losing his grip on the sword with every swing or parry. A second option might be that the blood - repelled magically - then has a "magical recoil" that causes it to go from being non-sticky to being exceptionally sticky, so your paladin finds himself with permanently bloodied hands, which for a CHA based face character might be a bit... disconcerting ... in social situations.

I said all that just to say this: do whatever you want, but remember not to isolate your fun to the silly type. Unless that is the theme of your game, in which case it's a win-win! :)

If the paladin ever scores a critical hit with the sword, he/she turns into an ogre, with an ogre's base statistics (including int and cha) modified with any stat boosts/stat adjusting feat that the paladin has gotten at this. The paladin still has the same personality and alignment, but a really bad temper.....

Draegn

Explorer
I have found that a weapon with a benefit the players want to use that comes with a cost is a fun way to go. Some ideas you might use:

The sword has a damage bonus, however, those struck by it can only be reincarnated as drow.

Over time the shadow cast by the wielder becomes a living being that is the polar opposite.

If used against a drow the wielder has to make a save or be shape changed into a drow.

lonelynoose

First Post
A sensitive sword that cries out in fake pain everytime you hit something with it. Oh, and makes sure everyone hears about it after it happens.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
"Unreliable"
This sword is 'blessed' with healing magic. On every attack, the DM makes a secret roll 50/50. On a pass, the sword functions as a normal +1 magic sword. On a fail, the blade turns briefly into curative light, HEALING the target for the damage rolled instead of hurting them.

Blackburn
This +2 sword is enchanted with a stronger than normal Flaming Burst effect. On a hit it deals +2d6 fire damage, and on a Crit it deals an ADDITIONAL +2d10 fire damage. The wielder ALSO take all this fire damage (apply resistance and weakness as normal).
Similar effects for any element type (FrostBite, Bone-Shaker (thunder), Tingler (Elec))

the classic Back-Biter
A +1 weapon, on an attack roll of natural 1, the weapon warps, wraps around, and stabs the wielder in the back. This deals the weapons normal damage +1d6 precision(backstab) damage.

Wheatly the Sword
This is a sentient sword. It can talk. It's got a standard +1 enchantment, and two variable enchantments. The first is that it can change shape, between a Sword (Slashing), Spear (Piercing), and Club (Bashing). The second is that it manifests an energy aura, Fire, Cold, Electric, Acid, Thunder, Necrotic, or Radiant. This deals an extra 1d6 of that type of damage.
The problem is Wheatly is very stupid, will not listen to you, and automatically picks the WORST combination of form and element for fighting any enemy.
"Clearly we need Flaming to fight this Fire elemental! Haven't you ever heard fight Fire with Fire?"
"Slashing is BEST for fighting Slimes!"
"What do you mean 'Turn into a Club we're fighting skeletons?' I think I know a little bit more about skeletons than you" Turns into a spear.

EDIT: I forgot one of my all time favorites that actually saw use in a game.

The Sword of Reincarnation
This was a +5 Longsword, enchanted at great cost with the effect of the Druid Spell Reincarnation. Any creature slain with this sword is IMMEDIATELY effected by Reincarnation.

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

I know a good curse: "the first time you draw this weapon you turn into a Lawful Good Paladin."

Edit: Oops, just read the OP. It seems like the character in question is already an LG Paladin. And you want to give him a curse on top of all that? Mean DM.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
I think your luck drain is a good one. In general, try to balance combat advantages with combat disadvantages and RP advantages with RP disadvantages.

It is one of my biggest beefs with Curse of Stradh. In the Amber Temple a character can accumulate a ton of combat powers at the expense of a ton of role-playing disadvantages. But most players just find a way to RP around them and just like the extra power.

The luck stealing is a good idea as the rest of the party becomes invested in getting rid of the sword.

Remove ads