D&D 5E Need fun cursed sword ideas!

randrak

First Post
So I'm running an underdark adventure right now (as you might know if you've seen some of my other threads). One of the party members is an Aasimar Paladin of the Crown who has been playing it up as the honorable and good knight of JUSTICE! He came into possession of a cursed greatsword (which he immediately attuned to). For now, the sword only has a +1 bonus and the curse has only had a strong "My precious" like effect. He even had the curse removed, however the madness he gained at the same time made him want to keep the sword.

While the "My Precious" type curse has been fun so far, leading to some nasty results (like him not giving up the sword when threatened by Duergar guards in the middle of their city or thinking that everyone else wants to steal the sword), I feel that the sword needs something else to it.

Any cool ideas? I want a fun curse, rather than just make him really love the sword.
Thank you!

PS: They are a level 6 party btw

PPS: Also, funny enough...ever since he got that sword, the paladin has been unable to hit anything with it yet. It's been three sessions and every time he fights, he just misses every time.

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Give the sword a speaking voice, based on Iago the parrot from the Disney Aladdin movie. Sarcastic, won't shut up, and sounds like Gilbert Gottfried. Mechanics-wise you could just give a penalty to Stealth or something if you wanted to, but that voice would be its own punishment.

morrit17

First Post
I personally live giving the cute fluffy bunny ear curse. You get a boost to any skills/checks that require listening. And there is nothing like a big bad tough character running around with these large fluffy bunny ears.

Shiroiken

Legend
The sword can cast "Detect Lawbreaker." At first it will reveal only heinous crimes, and you can reveal this with an adventure find a murderer. This will be awesome, and let them succeed easily at an adventure. Then the sword starts revealing lesser crimes (without revealing what the crimes actually are), until EVERYONE shows up as a lawbreaker!

Alternate idea: the sword voluntarily shows him criminals and their crime, but he has no way to prove any of it.

So I'm running an underdark adventure right now (as you might know if you've seen some of my other threads). One of the party members is an Aasimar Paladin of the Crown who has been playing it up as the honorable and good knight of JUSTICE! He came into possession of a cursed greatsword (which he immediately attuned to).

Well where did the sword come from and who might have created it this might gives clues to what the weapon might do.

randrak

First Post
Well where did the sword come from and who might have created it this might gives clues to what the weapon might do.
The sword was part of a collection by a drow blacksmith said to have been aided by a devil. It was made as a last desperate act of a dying kingdom during a long forgotten war. The party found the sword in an massive abandoned duergar forge and before the forge was forced to be abandoned, the duergar were trying to replicate the sword's powers without the additional curse.

The players have encountered another sword that was part of the same collection in a previous campaign. At the time I made it a Sword of Wounding with a ghost that possessed it and attacked the wielder every 24 hours. I want something more interesting this time around.

BoldItalic

First Post
He doesn't know it yet (because he hasn't hit anything yet) but the sword is magnetic and if it hits a creature wearing metal armour it will stick to it with a loud clang. While stuck, he cannot use the sword to make any further attacks and he cannot separate from the metal-clad target unless he lets go of the sword, which of course he can do with a free action on his turn.

If he doesn't want to let go of the sword, he can try to wrench it free using his action to make a Strength(Athletics) check with a suitable DC. He gains advantage on the roll if the target is prone and he is still standing (he can plant his feet and pull harder).

seebs

Adventurer
consider pinking shears. now make a pinking sword: it cuts zig-zag lines, even when you move it in a straight line. not sure it's a curse, but it's certainly confusing.

Remove ads