D&D 5E Need help building a good warrior

I see. Thank you for explaining. It just flew over my head.
Sorry. I was a bit snarky. Actually 14 con as fighter is also sufficient. With standard array you can take any feat you like as human and have only even stats. I do like uneven wisdom however because resilient wisdom is quite essential for a fighter.
Lucky achieves similar results however and is a bit more versatile if you didn't dump wisdom.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using EN World mobile app

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
I'm rather fond of a straight run barbarian as a tank. You can use a shield while still using barbarian's unarmored defense, though it does require you to decently pay attention to your Dexterity. Raging of course, giving you resistance to weapon damage types, and at 6 I tend to pick up Bear so that resistance applies to most magic damage types as well. If you go variant human, you can really change things up as well.

Dual Wielder letting you use Battle Axes gives you your rage bonus damage twice per round instead of once. Feel free to eventually dip a level of fighter for two-weapon fighting style to add strength to both.

Another feat choice would be Shield Master, so you can use your bonus action to 'shove'; raging gives you advantage on strength checks, so you'd nearly always knock people down. If you pay attention to Sage Advice from Mr. Crawford, you can also really take advantage of this to give yourself advantage on your attacks without sacrificing your defense (reckless attack). You only have to -declare- an action that generates a bonus action on your turn; the order in which you -take- those actions, is up to you. So as long as you say you're using the attack action on your turn, you can bonus action to knock prone first, then attack, giving yourself advantage on the attack. Sage Advice isn't the PHB so to speak, but is just rules clarification, not 'alternative rules', so check with your DM first. Secondly, combining the shield bonus to dex saves and barbarians advantage on dex saves they can see, is very powerful for magic user damage.

Ovarwa

Explorer
Hi,

You asked about basic pros and cons:

Barbarian hits hard and can have good endurance. Advantage + GWM is a party favorite. Not many tricks, but you only need one.

Fighters give you many different ways to go, even for melee. EK gives you a touch of spellcasting, for Shield and flexibility. Battlemaster lets you turn misses into hits (good for GWM), and do other tricks, which is nice. Heavy Armor, lots of feats to support any fighting style. Action Surge. You have the most reliable damage, but are not so great at bursting deliberately.

Paladins don't do quite as much reliable damage as the others, especially later, but are still a real threat. They can use spell slots to deliver great burst damage... or spell effects, which might be more important in the long run. They are also awesome tanks: Not only do they do good damage, but until you take down the paladin you have a harder time taking down anyone else due to their awesome party support. Cha to everyone's saves is huge.

Anyway,

Ken

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Sorry. I was a bit snarky. Actually 14 con as fighter is also sufficient. With standard array you can take any feat you like as human and have only even stats. I do like uneven wisdom however because resilient wisdom is quite essential for a fighter.
Lucky achieves similar results however and is a bit more versatile if you didn't dump wisdom.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using EN World mobile app

I didn’t get a snarky impression at all

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases