Need help finding a feet or trait!

Tinner

First Post
Can anyone tell me if there is a feat or trait that allows a character to count their character level as their caster level?
I seem to recall there being something like this in PF, or maybe in D&D 3.5?
It was designed to "fix" multi-class character IIRC. My search-fu is failing me today.

SteelDraco

First Post
There was a feat in 3.5 called Practiced Spellcaster that increased your caster level in one class by +4, to a maximum of your character level. It was nice for multiclassed PCs, and is probably what you're thinking of.

I haven't seen a Pathfinder equivalent. I wouldn't be too adverse to the idea - caster level is only a portion of a caster's power, and other classes do progress in their abilities (BAB and skills) to a reduced degree when they take levels in other classes.

Rampant

First Post
There was also the magic rating variant where by each class had a magic rating progression similar to a BaB only it functioned as caster level, Wizards and clerics got full (each wizard level equals +1 magic rating), Pallies and rangers got half (2 pally levels equal +1 magic rating), and non-casters got 1/4th (four fighter levels equal +1 magic rating). You still learned spells and gained spell levels as normal for your class(es), but a wiz 10/Druid 10 would have a magic rating of 20 and thus a caster level of 20.

Additional options include splitting divine and arcane magic ratings.

Porting to pathfinder may cause some weirdness with the new caster level formula for pallies and such being class level -3.

Another thought might be to increase the fractionals to follow the BaB rules. So a Pally gets 3/4, and a fighter gets 1/2.

Dingo333

First Post
There was also the magic rating variant where by each class had a magic rating progression similar to a BaB only it functioned as caster level, Wizards and clerics got full (each wizard level equals +1 magic rating), Pallies and rangers got half (2 pally levels equal +1 magic rating), and non-casters got 1/4th (four fighter levels equal +1 magic rating). You still learned spells and gained spell levels as normal for your class(es), but a wiz 10/Druid 10 would have a magic rating of 20 and thus a caster level of 20.

Additional options include splitting divine and arcane magic ratings.

Porting to pathfinder may cause some weirdness with the new caster level formula for pallies and such being class level -3.

Another thought might be to increase the fractionals to follow the BaB rules. So a Pally gets 3/4, and a fighter gets 1/2.

What about those with 6 spell levels (summoner, inquisitor and bard)?

Also, how would your system handle mystic theurge?

Rampant

First Post
Bard = full

The magic rating was more tied to caster level than spell level.

The theurge depends on whether or not you split magic types. With split magic types wiz counts as 1/4th divine, and cleric as 1/4th arcane. Theurge would probably then count as full for both. However remember the spells known/per day and such are still based on the normal rules.

Without split magic ratings the theurge is only useful for advancing the spell slots, because the magic rating for all three classes are full.

Nebten

First Post
In Pathfinder, there is a trait called "Magical Knack" from APG or the trait list. It gives +2 to caster level up to max HD.

Remove ads