Need Help Finding an Old Sci-Fi Short

Retreater

Legend
This is something that's been perplexing me since middle school (so in the late 1980s). In science class we watched an old science fiction short film or episode - and it might've been based on a Ray Bradbury short story. I think the title was something like "The Day the Rains Came." It was about a science crew that was terraforming a planet or moon and accidentally killed all the life because they didn't recognize it was sentient.
Does this jog memories for anybody?

Mad_Jack

Legend
Hrm... nope. I got nothing.

(On the other hand, you did just remind me of another sci-fi thing I saw on tv where it only stopped raining once a year.)

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Here's a thread about a short called "Mind Slaughter" (1977), part of an educational series called "The Universe & I". A post in that thread includes a link to a youtube.
Could that be it?

edit: direct link to the video:

Retreater

Legend
Here's a thread about a short called "Mind Slaughter" (1977), part of an educational series called "The Universe & I". A post in that thread includes a link to a youtube.
Could that be it?
Yes! I remember the worms and the strange writing at the end of it.
Furthermore, I attended school in Kentucky, so we had ready access to KET programs.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Yes! I remember the worms and the strange writing at the end of it.
Furthermore, I attended school in Kentucky, so we had ready access to KET programs.
Yeah, I thought that ending was actually pretty well done, all things considered. (Also got a kick out of the punch card montage to show off the xtreme computing powerz.)
I'd never seen this film until just now, so it was a fun new-not-new thing to watch.

Retreater

Legend
Yeah, I thought that ending was actually pretty well done, all things considered. (Also got a kick out of the punch card montage to show off the xtreme computing powerz.)
I'd never seen this film until just now, so it was a fun new-not-new thing to watch.
Yeah the basics of the story stuck with me for over 30 years. Glad you were able to point me in the right direction.

Remove ads