Need help fleshing out an idea - Left 4 Ape

This is a concept I've been kicking around and trying to see if there is a way to flesh it out.

Left 4 Ape
After rise of the planet of the apes, there is an airborne virus that is spread across the globe is actually an infection virus that kills and reanimates humans.
the infected rise and destroy entire civilizations.
however, it does not animate apes, but rather evolves them.
a large tribe now exists on southern california and there are bunkering down to survive both the humans and the zombies as they try to figure out what to do with their newly created civilization.

So my idea is the party is a set of sentient apes in a fairly low tech post apocalyptic environment.

1. what system would be good to use?
2. what locations would be useful?

any other ideas would be most helpful.

Nytmare

David Jose
What do you feel as though the focus of the game might be? What theme are you trying to capture? What genre are you imagining?

Savage World or Fate are the first things that jump to mind, but that's probably because of the name of one and the fact that the other has a Kung Fu gorilla on the cover.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Not to be a stick in the mud...but, honestly, what's the difference between an "intelligent, evolved ape" and an "intelligent, evolved ape"? (and by the latter...or former...I mean Human ;) ). I just don't see the draw or difference, when we get down to brass tacks.

Now, you wanna make things interesting...have the PC's all be small 'intelligent' animals like domestic cats, a chihuahua, a rat and a chameleon. NOW you have something to work with! :) Trying to play small animals trying to survive in a world with no humans to look after them, infested with zombies, and now "intelligent, evolved apes"...? Ok. I'd be down for that! :)

(Oh, and Bunnies & Burrows, obviously! Or maybe Mouse Guard? Never played either though...fyi...).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

innerdude

Legend
This concept absolutely SCREAMS to be played in Savage Worlds.

Could easily be done with core rules plus a few fan-made equipment lists. If you wanted to get into some of the more fun post-apoc stuff with mutations, cyborgs, etc., pick up Interface Zero campaign setting and just ignore all of the "techie"/hacking/cyber stuff. It has fantastic rules, edges, equipment, and skills to work with that type of setting.

aramis erak

Legend
This is a concept I've been kicking around and trying to see if there is a way to flesh it out.

Left 4 Ape
After rise of the planet of the apes, there is an airborne virus that is spread across the globe is actually an infection virus that kills and reanimates humans.
the infected rise and destroy entire civilizations.
however, it does not animate apes, but rather evolves them.
a large tribe now exists on southern california and there are bunkering down to survive both the humans and the zombies as they try to figure out what to do with their newly created civilization.

So my idea is the party is a set of sentient apes in a fairly low tech post apocalyptic environment.

any other ideas would be most helpful.
Terra Primate (using Unisystem) is already set up for it. Unisystem's pretty good. The Zombies are able to be taken direct from another Unisystem game: All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos

1. Cypher system. Let the PCs worry about rolling dice, so the GM can walk around doing ape impersonations.
2. After "civilizations" have died, your PCs are probably walking around on foot. And wrists. So your locations in SoCal will be: the gas station, the power plant, the gated community, and the skate park.

Not to be a stick in the mud...but, honestly, what's the difference between an "intelligent, evolved ape" and an "intelligent, evolved ape"? (and by the latter...or former...I mean Human ;) )
Humans are the evolved chimpanzees. Intelligent is subjective. Evolved apes could include orangutans and gorillas as well 🤓

Remove ads