Need help on Hexblade build !!!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
You're definitely right in that how the DMs do or no not follow the guidelines for encounters per day can favor long-rest recovery model classes.

I find it to have relatively little impact. We typically run 1-3 encounters per day with a short rest between most. Seems to keep things pretty balanced.

FrogReaver

If your goal is to tank then I recomend

Hexblade 1 / Life Cleric 3 -> Hexblade 1 / Life Cleric 5 -> Hexblade 2 / Life Cleric 5 -> Hexblade 2 / Life Cleric X

Stats would look something like:
15 Str
16 Dex
16 Con
13 Int
18 Wis
18 Cha

You will be using heavy armor in this variant.

Level 4-5 Playstyle would be to use booming blade for attack. Use shield as needed. Heal as needed. When you want to damage then use spiritual weapon.

Level 6+ Playsyle would be to use Spirit Guardians then Dodge. Shield and Heal as needed. Warcaster gives you deadly OA's with booming blade so you just dare them to try and move away.

It's definitely not as offensive as the Paladin/Warlock setups, but it seems like it would be more defensive and tanky.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I find it to have relatively little impact. We typically run 1-3 encounters per day with a short rest between most. Seems to keep things pretty balanced.

I'm sorry, how do you point out the differences and then claim there is little difference?

Let's try going back to what you originally agreed with.

If a barbarian had 3 rages per day, do they get to rage in every encounter when the DM regularly runs 6-8 encounters per day? Do they get to rage in every encounter when the DM regularly runs 1-3 encounters per day? Does rage have a big effect on them.

FrogReaver

I'm sorry, how do you point out the differences and then claim there is little difference?

Let's try going back to what you originally agreed with.

If a barbarian had 3 rages per day, do they get to rage in every encounter when the DM regularly runs 6-8 encounters per day? Do they get to rage in every encounter when the DM regularly runs 1-3 encounters per day? Does rage have a big effect on them.

As an example:

Suppose 6 identical enemies and fighting them one at at a time. Suppose 3 rages. Each enemy takes X rounds to kill on average. That means 3X + 3X/2 = 9X/2 will be the factor for the damage he takes in the day/

Now let's look at fighting the enemies 2 at a time. Each fight he will take (2X+X)/2 = 3X/2 Damage. That's a total of 9X/2 factor for damage in the day given 3 fights.

Finally let's say there's one fight with 4 enemies in the day. The Barbarian will take (4X+3X+2X+X)/2 = 10X/2 factor for damage.

As you can see the damage he will take is all very close no matter if the day is long or short - many encounters or few. Thus, there's a fairly minor level of difference in being able to rage in every fight and being able to rage in some fights.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
As an example:

Suppose 6 identical enemies and fighting them one at at a time. Suppose 3 rages. Each enemy takes X rounds to kill on average. That means 3X + 3X/2 = 9X/2 will be the factor for the damage he takes in the day/

Now let's look at fighting the enemies 2 at a time. Each fight he will take (2X+X)/2 = 3X/2 Damage. That's a total of 9X/2 factor for damage in the day given 3 fights.

Finally let's say there's one fight with 4 enemies in the day. The Barbarian will take (4X+3X+2X+X)/2 = 10X/2 factor for damage.

As you can see the damage he will take is all very close no matter if the day is long or short - many encounters or few. Thus, there's a fairly minor level of difference in being able to rage in every fight and being able to rage in some fights.

Raging does more than just reduce damage. Raging adds to melee damage. Raging offsets the dangers of using reckless attack. A number of class features only work when raging. There's a lot to it. We can go back and forth and probably not convince each other because there would be a lot of different points to quantify. I'm okay agreeing to disagree - not sure it's worth threadjacking this to get into it.

To get back to the original topic, one fun thing with a warlock/barbarian is using rage to extend the length of Armor of Agathys, since the tHPs will last longer which means so will the cold damage. AoA is not concentration, so it will stay as long as cast before the rage.

FrogReaver

Raging does more than just reduce damage.

Yes.

Counterpoint: Fighting more enemies or harder enemies in one encounter also tends to be much more dangerous. There's a bigger risk of getting hit more before raging. There's a bigger risk related to a streak of multiple hits since a lot more incoming damage will be coming at you in a shorter time period. There's also a much bigger risk in taking 9X/2 Damage in a single encounter than taking 9X/2 Damage over the entire day.

Raging adds to melee damage.

Yes.

Counterpoint: Rage bonus damage adds about 20% increased damage. Over a typical fight that's probably enough to save 1 round - maybe 2 in the hardest fight.

Raging offsets the dangers of using reckless attack.

This isn't true in general.

In terms of danger of reckless attacking: Raging and reckless attacking when fighting 2 enemies will be about the same danger as not raging and reckless attacking vs a single enemy.

A number of class features only work when raging.

Yes.

Counterpoint: In a 6-8 encounter day you are already using rage in the hardest fights and not using it in the easiest fights because encounters in a 6-8 encounter day aren't actually uniform. This actually plays into your favor when comparing with a barbarian that uses it every encounter of the day in significantly harder encounters.

There's a lot to it.

Yes.

I don't think most people that tout rage as being too strong in a 1-3 encounter adventuring day have actually thought it through. Instead it's based on the initial assumption that getting to use it all the time means you are getting a better deal - which is a fine as starting point as any before any actual analysis, but it shouldn't be the end all be all.

We can go back and forth and probably not convince each other because there would be a lot of different points to quantify. I'm okay agreeing to disagree - not sure it's worth threadjacking this to get into it.

My goal isn't to convince you. It's to make a case for others.

By all means start a thread on it instead of threadjacking though.

Remove ads