Need Help With An Evil PC

akr71

Hero
The only time I allow evil PCs is when the entire party (or at least the majority) are all evil and have the same goal or objective. PvP may arise from personal goals and that is fine. These are usually short-lived campaigns or one-short for something different.

RedSiegfried

First Post
Turns out the PC who wanted to kill the party is a magical clone of the PC who is still evil, but is not actively working to destroy the party.

Present that as an option to the player. If the player is still intent on killing everyone else's characters and the other players are not good with that, he needs to leave the game.

In my games, the expectation is set from the beginning that regardless of the PCs' alignments or motivations, they must work with the rest of the party to achieve common goals and not against each other because the game just works better that way and it prevents hard feelings from those players who are attached to their characters.

(And yes, even the DM needs to makes sure that while it's a core assumption of the game that he's working AGAINST the PCs sometimes, he's working WITH the PLAYERS to make the game fun for everyone.)

Waterbizkit

Explorer
First and foremost how do your other players feel about the entire situation? I have no issues with having a mix of evil and otherwise aligned PCs all in the same group in my games, so that's not my issue here, but the point of the game is to have an enjoyable shared experience. If one player is consistently working against the rest of the group they had also better be okay with that or it'll wear thin rather quickly and you're going to have more problems on your hands.

Next, I want to make sure I understand this correctly: one PC was evil and working with the primary antagonist against the rest of the group, actively trying to kill them all. This PC made their move, completely botched it, and is now going to die for his betrayal. Now, and here's where I lose you a little bit, the player wants to make another evil PC to try and do the whole thing all over again? That is, make a new PC who is working with the primary antagonist for the purposes of killing the rest of the party? In short, he wants a do-over?

See, this is the sort of thing I'd have an issue with... assuming I'm interpreting the situation correctly. I'm fine with parties that are any mixture of alignments, I don't generally say no to that kind of thing until it becomes an issue that's causing my players to have less fun because of it. This strikes me as different though, because in this instance you have a player who is just consistently trying to work against the group. Doing it the once can add a lot of fun twists to the game and it's not a bad idea in the least. Doing it again and again? It just "feels" wrong. Your player had a good idea that hopefully added something meaningful to the game for everyone, but whether it was poor planning or the dice were against them the plan failed and his character got caught. Simply trying to repeat the process again cheapens the whole thing and simply starts to feel like this player has infinite chances to try and kill all the other characters in the game. That doesn't sound fun to me.

Again, I could be misinterpreting the whole situation, but that's how I read it. Do whatever will be the most fun for you and your players, as a whole, but I probably wouldn't allow this particular player to run another evil PC intent on acting against the party because he already had his chance and now it's maybe time to try something new.

manduck

Explorer
So I have a few questions before offering up any advice. Though from what you've described so far, it sounds like you may have a problem player in your group.

1. Why does he want to be an evil character?
2. Is anyone else in the party evil?
3. How do the other players feel about him playing an evil character?
4. What reason does the group have to believe the new evil character won't turn on them too?
5. Why are you catering to one player who disrupted the group rather than getting the group's feedback?

If the group is totally cool with this player and their evil characters, then fine. Though it sounds like you have a player who is trying to "win".

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So I have a few questions before offering up any advice. Though from what you've described so far, it sounds like you may have a problem player in your group.

1. Why does he want to be an evil character?
2. Is anyone else in the party evil?
3. How do the other players feel about him playing an evil character?
4. What reason does the group have to believe the new evil character won't turn on them too?
5. Why are you catering to one player who disrupted the group rather than getting the group's feedback?

If the group is totally cool with this player and their evil characters, then fine. Though it sounds like you have a player who is trying to "win".

I have a lot of advice to give on this sibject, but it would be a waste of time without knowing the answer to those questions. They are fundamental questions!

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

BeaniBum

Explorer
He wants to be evil for character and plot reasons
No but one person is bound into serving the evil pc
The pcs are fine
Oh not the characters no he will turn but don't technically know he is evil in game
The group is fine with the evil character because they feel it makes the story fun and interesting I'm not catering it's how the story played out and they understand that that is why I'm asking for advice on the question

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

BeaniBum

Explorer
First and foremost how do your other players feel about the entire situation? I have no issues with having a mix of evil and otherwise aligned PCs all in the same group in my games, so that's not my issue here, but the point of the game is to have an enjoyable shared experience. If one player is consistently working against the rest of the group they had also better be okay with that or it'll wear thin rather quickly and you're going to have more problems on your hands.

Next, I want to make sure I understand this correctly: one PC was evil and working with the primary antagonist against the rest of the group, actively trying to kill them all. This PC made their move, completely botched it, and is now going to die for his betrayal. Now, and here's where I lose you a little bit, the player wants to make another evil PC to try and do the whole thing all over again? That is, make a new PC who is working with the primary antagonist for the purposes of killing the rest of the party? In short, he wants a do-over?

See, this is the sort of thing I'd have an issue with... assuming I'm interpreting the situation correctly. I'm fine with parties that are any mixture of alignments, I don't generally say no to that kind of thing until it becomes an issue that's causing my players to have less fun because of it. This strikes me as different though, because in this instance you have a player who is just consistently trying to work against the group. Doing it the once can add a lot of fun twists to the game and it's not a bad idea in the least. Doing it again and again? It just "feels" wrong. Your player had a good idea that hopefully added something meaningful to the game for everyone, but whether it was poor planning or the dice were against them the plan failed and his character got caught. Simply trying to repeat the process again cheapens the whole thing and simply starts to feel like this player has infinite chances to try and kill all the other characters in the game. That doesn't sound fun to me.

Again, I could be misinterpreting the whole situation, but that's how I read it. Do whatever will be the most fun for you and your players, as a whole, but I probably wouldn't allow this particular player to run another evil PC intent on acting against the party because he already had his chance and now it's maybe time to try something new.

The antagonist is an extremely powerful entity capable of giving him one do over for the purpose of fulfilling his own goals I was wondering how I could achieve the do over in game? With I don't know a new character or possession of an NPC I don't know it's why I'm asking.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The antagonist is an extremely powerful entity capable of giving him one do over for the purpose of fulfilling his own goals I was wondering how I could achieve the do over in game? With I don't know a new character or possession of an NPC I don't know it's why I'm asking.

So are you looking for how to deal with it at the table, as in, keeping your players happy, or how to deal with it in your story, or what?

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads