• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help with Sorcerer Spells

Cyclops

First Post
I'm Starting an 8 level Human Scorcerer who joins our party in Ravenloft. He is too be a bookish sort, with knowledge skills in Planes, and Portals (the DM's plot device here).
So I have a sorcerer with these stats:
Str 11, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 20
Feats: Spellcasting Prodigy, Extend spell, Spell focus: Evocation, and Education (all knowledge skills are class skills).

I get only so many spells: 8,5,3,2,1
Some are obvious Shield, and Magic Missile
Invisibility and Fly

But what other spells are usefull to a sorcerer. You only get so many. Like I will never, ever get another 1st level spell, my compliment is done. So I have to choose wisely.
What would you take?

Last edited:

milo

First Post
If you haven't run him yet and can change the feats take draconic bloodline and enhanced draconic bloodline. They are in the Net Book of Feats.

ENHANCED DRACONIC BLOODLINE [Special]
COPYRIGHT 2001, Eric D. Harry
You have mastered your unique heritage, gaining an
extraordinary affinity for spell magic.
Prerequisite: Draconic Bloodline, ability to cast Arcane
spells without preparation (like a Bard or Sorcerer).
Benefit: If a Bard or Sorcerer, you gain bonus spells based
on your Charisma attribute (per Table 1-1, page 8 of the
3rd Edition Player’s Handbook). These spells are added to
your number of spells known; this feat does not increase
the number of spells that you can cast per day.
Normal: Bards and Sorcerers are normally fixed in their
number of spells known per level.

Cyclops

First Post
Haven't run this guy yet. But I'm limited to the PH, the FR Magic Book, and the Manual of the Planes. I can't even use the Tome and Blood.
But there is enough to work with here.

Arcanus

First Post
I would say Prot. from evil, Mage Armor, and lots of Force spells for incorporeal critters.

Take some fire spells, most undead are not too hampered by cold or electricity stuff. Acid spells work also.

Alter self, blur, greater magic weapon, ROPE TRICK (at your level you and 7 others can sleep for 8 hours in a safe place anywhere and get all your spells back without posting a watch)

Take Darsons Potion (Magic of Faerun) as a 4th level spell. Look it up it is awesome. Your party will love you for it.

Michael Tree

First Post
Considering your character's skills and interests, I'd say that the Incantatrix prestige class in Magic of Faerun is probably perfect for your character.

I would definitely recommend a few spells that aren't on your list.
- Polymorph Other. This is the single most versatile spell in the game, usable as a great "save or die" offensive spell, as minor healing, self defense/offense (polymorphing yourself into a pixie, giant, hag, or troll, for example), and to buff your fellow party members.
- Haste. This is the single best spell a sorcerer can have. If you take the Chain Spell feat later on, you can duplicate Mass Haste with it too.
- Cat's Grace, Endurance, or Eagle's Splendour. Buffing spells are always nice. If you take the Incantatrix PrC and the Empower Spell feat, these become very nice, since at 8th level Incantatrix Empower only costs a single spell level.

Fly isn't a "must have". Polymorphing into a flying humanoid form can be almost as good, and doesn't cost a spell slot.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well I wish I could offer more help...but since you have Evocation as your spell focus (don't know WHY you choose Metamagic feats. Doesn't help with casting spells THAT much), probably wouldn't hurt to look at evocation spells in Magic of Faerun (wish your DM was willing to use Relics and Rituals...)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads