Your favorite magic system

Sacrosanct

Legend
The base resolution system (d12+Xd6 rank dice, success ladder) handles most of the rest of what you need, with player and GM moving the system forward by doing things.
So kinda like Earthdawn (if I'm remembering that system correctly)?

I have several different types of magic in my current project, but this is how I'm handling sorcery (the primary magic style). I've been tinkering with some ideas.

1683778320408.png

For context, the overall system is contested die pools. When you roll your dice pool, you count how many of your dice beat the highest # of the opposing dice. Each spell costs vigor (stamina). WD = weapon damage. Each class has it's own base weapon damage die type.

So I'm thinking of ways to both overcharge spells, and also give you extra benefits if you roll really well.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So kinda like Earthdawn (if I'm remembering that system correctly)?

I have several different types of magic in my current project, but this is how I'm handling sorcery (the primary magic style). I've been tinkering with some ideas.

View attachment 284479

For context, the overall system is contested die pools. When you roll your dice pool, you count how many of your dice beat the highest # of the opposing dice. Each spell costs vigor (stamina). WD = weapon damage. Each class has it's own base weapon damage die type.

So I'm thinking of ways to both overcharge spells, and also give you extra benefits if you roll really well.
I like that. I do have spells in the system, but they're just uses of magic skills that have been perfected to be efficient and get the most out of the effect, so they have a reliable effect where all failures are mitigated failures (which means you can push by spending AP to partial success) and you have to have certain ranks in the relevant skill or skills to use them.

I'm also working on ritual magic. Right now you need a circle, a base element, a catalyst, and an anchor, and it usually involves multiple skill checks (which is rare in the system because dice pool with success ladder doesn't really need multiple checks often). Making magical stuff works basically the same.

But the basis is just "I wanna set it on fire, Pyromancy (Combustion)?"

"Yep."

"Okay I got a 23, Total Success."

"Nice. Being an object it can't roll defense so it just burns. Are you trying to control the flames to avoid it spreading?"

"Oh snap...um yes. Do I need to roll again?"

"No, Total Success can just do that, but if it turns into a bigger fire you might have to make a new check to tamp down the flames and contain them."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Don’t know that I actually have a favorite. Each kind I’ve used has had certain charms and limitations that create unique flavors and influence playstyles.

…which is one reason I like toolkit systems (esp. HERO): I can generally mix & match as I see fit. I can have Vancian casters mixed with those who shape raw magic on the fly with those whose powers come from a pact, their bloodline, their diet, or whatever.

And I can even have subvariations with limitations that distinguish them from their closest cousins.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I quite like the Conan d20 sorcery system, you generally don't have flashy spells, your MP are limited but you can perform rituals to increase them temporarily to cast mightier magic than you'd otherwise be able to. Some spells also have a chance to go out of control.

ICRPG has some cool ideas, different schools and, though it might be different in 2e, you can master schools of magic making them cost less health to cast.

Remove ads