Need input on Specialty Cleric PrC's IMC [long]

Torx

First Post
IMC, I'm trying to get back the flavor of the 2E Specialty Priests by doing PrC's. Using standard entrance req's, with the dominant mode of entry being cleric (requiring divine magic on each one) - I'm having trouble coming up with concepts or inspiration for a boatload of my 25 gods. Here's my pantheon's portfolio's and alignments really quick:

Air - N
Cold - NE
Courage - CG
Darkness - NE
Death - LE
Deception - CE
Earth - N
Fire - N
Forests - CG
Healing/Birth - LG
Knowledge - NG
Justice - LG
Light - NG
Love - CN
Magic - N
Plants - N
Profit - LE
Protection - LG
Speed - LN
Thieves - CE
Undeath - NE
Vengeance - CE
War - N
Water - N

Now this is of course over-simplified - but it gives each god's major area of focus. What I'm looking for from this board are just ideas or focuses (perhaps w/ examples) on anything that comes to mind - I've wracked my brain and figured out that rule creation isn't my bag :) But I still want these PrC's - so any ideas would be most appreciated

This is basically what I've come up with:

The elemental gods (discounting Cold) Focus primarily on summoning elementals...but this kinda sucks =) Any ideas on what I could to make this better, or a different spin?

Cold: All I can come up with is the various ice-producing arcane spells thrown in with a resistance and maybe some paraelemntal summoning?

Courage: Obviously big morale bonuses vs. fear - perhaps conveying them to allies - but worth a prestige class? I need a lil more...

Darkness: My first concept was way too powerful, combining sneak attack w/ creating tangible darkness (ie shadow) to choke or dmg good...i dunno, it created a really overpowered character w/o much flavor...any ideas?

Death: One of the places I'm really stuck - this class has nothing to do with undead, and all I can do is rip off the various death spells, but it gets rather monotonous...I've added a torture ability (kinda cool) but it's not enough to sustain the class - and these guys need to be fear-inspring

Deception: This one's all set w/ a combination of a shapeshifter and a diplomat - basically creates a minor doppleganger (sp?)

Forests: How do I make this class not a ranger, druid or ranger/druid?? Only thing I got is tree stride and treant creating/control - ideas?

Healing/Birth: I'm lost here - goddess' big focus is birth, so I'm tentative to just make a medic

Knowledge: This one's all set, all about divination

Justice: I know there are tons of classes capturing every angle on this one. I want to take an inquisition angle - any directions I could be pointed to?

Light: This one's tough - I was at first going to make it anti-undead, but it got a little out-of-hand, and stopped being about light. Any ideas?

Love: Tempter/Temptress - I like this idea, using natural and magic abilities to charm and control - anything to augment?

Magic - I can't really find a focus here - any ideas?

Plants - Another area that I just can't get started with

Profit - This is a newly created god - so I don't have any ideas stored in the bank besides becoming a profiteer or sheister

Protection - This one's all set, armed with resistance, a little DR and SR and the ability to absorb damage from an ally, I like this one

Speed - Bonus to movement, haste - anything else? Focus? =)

Thieves - Besides becoming a thief?? There are too many PrC's that just combine these two levels

Undeath - Should I take the creating or the controlling undead angle here? Perhaps channeling negative energy to some cool effects?

Vengeance - ??

War - This one's set to go - loosely based on the warpriest, by issuing commands he augments the abilities of others, while holding his own

Thanks for reading all of that (for those of you who made it through) - One more thing to ask you about:

These classes are not meant to be simply more powerful clerics, I don't want the clerics overrunning my world - what I've done on the few I've completed (I've actually completed 15, but only liked 5) was do the every-other spell level progression, and to make up for some good BAB progression or other nasty abilities, I'm also banning certain domains. Actually a lot of domains.

For example - Kilsad, the God of War, does not grant his Fray Friars any spells belonging to the Air, Animal, Chaos, Earth, Evil, Fire, Good, Knowledge, Law, Luck, Magic, Plant, Sun, Travel, Trickery, or Water domains. Even if the character could cast the spell before the prestige class, once he enters, it is forever barred from him.

What do you think about this as a balancing tool? Any way I could improve upon it?

Thanks in advance for all of your input - it'll really help me out.

Crothian

First Post
I've been doing something similiar. Prestige classes for each god does make sense. I think you can just focus on theat one area. weaken casting levels, by granting specific powers over their domain. I'd use lack of all cleric abilities gaining at equal rate and tough requirenments as the balancing issues.

Torx

First Post
Thanks for the reply - and the equal advancement is a killer idea - but pulling it off with classes as different as God of War and God of Love? :)

Now when you say tough requirements, do you mean raising the level that this can be taken (from 6th to 9th or so on) or just force them to use every feat and skill point (heh)?

Thanks again for the reply...would you post an example of a class you've done along these lines?

bwgwl

First Post
here's some examples from my last campaign

i made up a handful of specialty priest prestige classes for my last campaign world. (i was going to do more, but the campaign folded early.)

here's one for a CE god of fire, lightning, and war.

Burning One of Unamash
Unamash of the Shining Spear is the god of war, fire, and lightning. He represents the chaotic destructiveness of both nature and mankind.

Some priests of Unamash focus on the fiery aspects of their god, and become burning ones. These special priests are greatly revered amongst Unamash's worshippers, as they are seen as living vessels of their god's sacred flame.

Burning ones are zealots. Since Unamash is also a war god, many burning ones take their preaching to the front line, engaging the enemies of their god with reckless abandon. All burning ones are active individuals, more prone to acting on events than thinking about them.

Burning ones most often start out as clerics of Unamash. Many have a few levels in fighter or barbarian to increase their fighting ability.

NPC burning ones rarely work together. Usually they can be found working with other worshippers of Unamash, leading by example.

Hit Die: d10.

Requirements
Alignment: Must be Chaotic Evil.
Base Fortitude Save: +6
Knowledge (religion): 8 ranks.
Concentration: 4 ranks.
Feats: Endurance and Power Attack.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 1st-level divine spells.
Special: The character must be a worshipper of Unamash.

Code:
[color=silver]
Class Base   Fort Ref  Will
Level Attack Save Save Save Spells Special
 1    +0     +2   +0   +2          additional domain, detect good, smite good 1/day
 2    +1     +3   +0   +3   +1 lvl fire resistance 3
 3    +2     +3   +1   +3          sacred firefan
 4    +3     +4   +1   +4   +1 lvl fire resistance 6
 5    +3     +4   +1   +4          burning aura, smite good 2/day
 6    +4     +5   +2   +5   +1 lvl fire resistance 9
 7    +5     +5   +2   +5          sacred flame strike
 8    +6     +6   +2   +6   +1 lvl fire resistance 12
 9    +6     +6   +3   +6          sacred firestorm, smite good 3/day
10    +7     +7   +3   +7   +1 lvl fire resistance 15
[/color]

Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (religion), Profession, Scry, and Spellcraft.
Skill Points: 2 + Int mod.

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Burning ones are proficient with all simple weapons. If the burning one is of at least Medium size, he is also proficient with the longspear. Burning ones are also proficient with light and medium armor, as well as shields.

Additional Domain: At 1st level, the burning one may choose a new domain from among those granted by Unamash. If the burning one does not already have the Fire domain, this must be chosen. If the burning one did not previously have access to domains (if he was not a cleric), then he gains the Fire domain's granted power, and gains one additional divine spell per spell level he is capable of casting. These additional spells must be the Fire domain's spells.

Detect Good: This ability is similar to the Detect Evil ability of Paladins (Player's Handbook, page 42), except that it detects Good alignments.

Smite Good: This ability is similar to the Smite Evil ability of Paladins (Player's Handbook, page 42), except that it works against foes of good alignment only. The burning one may attempt to smite good once per day at 1st level, twice per day at 5th level, and three times per day at 9th level. Use the total of the character's burning one levels and cleric of Unamash levels as the damage modifier.

Spells per Day: A burning one continues the divine spellcasting of his previous class, but more slowly. For every two burning one levels gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had gained one level of the spellcasting class he belonged to before he became a burning one. He does not gain any other benefit of the level that the character would have normally gained. This essentially means that he adds half his burning one level to the level of his other spellcasting class to determine spells per day and caster level. For example, an 8th level cleric / 4th level burning one has the spellcasting ability of a 10th level cleric.

Fire Resistance: Unamash protects his chosen. Starting at 2nd level, a burning one gains fire resistance. The burning one may ignore the first 3 points of fire damage taken from each attack at 2nd level. This rises to 6 points at 4th level, 9 points at 6th level, 12 points at 8th level, and finally 15 points at 10th level.

Sacred Firefan: This is identical to the Sacred Firefan ability of the Flame Steward (Dragon Magazine #283, page 85).

Burning Aura: Starting at 5th level, a burning one may call down the divine fire of Unamash. Once per day, the burning one may declare he is activating his burning aura. He is then wreathed in flickering red flames for a number of rounds equal to his burning one class level. While the burning aura is active, all melee attacks made by the burning one deal an additional +2d6 fire damage. Likewise, any successful melee attack made on the burning one while the aura is up deals the attacker 1d6 fire damage as he contacts the flames. The burning one and his possessions are completely unharmed by this magical fire.

Sacred Flame Strike: This is identical to the Sacred Flame Strike ability of the Flame Steward (Dragon Magazine #283, page 85).

Sacred Firestorm: This is identical to the Sacred Firestorm ability of the Flame Steward (Dragon Magazine #283, page 85).

for this next prestige class, i had originally wanted to do something Sufi-like for my LN Islamic-style religion. the class ended up being a mixture of divine and arcane magic, and could possibly serve as the specialty priest of a magic god.

Sateti Esoteric
The Esoterics are the smallest and most secretive of the factions of Satet. They believe in the Overgod as an ineffable and aloof deity. The other gods are seen as merely emanations of the true god, separate and yet a part of him. Because of this, Esoterics will sometimes pay homage to them, even if it vexes other Satetis.

Esoterics are also steeped in mystical and arcane traditions. Many Esoteric priests become wizards in an attempt to more fully understand the mysterious powers of the Overgod. Most Esoterics spend time as ascetic monks in Great Satara, to clear their minds of worldly thoughts, to better meditate on the Overgod. These monks are seeking to discover the secret connections between divine and arcane magic.

Most esoterics started out as clerics, and most have learned something of wizardry before joining the order. Much rarer are those who are natural spellcasters, i.e., sorcerers.

NPC esoterics are generally found alone, living as ascetic monks and hermits out in Great Satara. There are some esoteric monasteries dotted throughout Aldehan, Owalan, and even Bahet, but these generally will not accept applicants. They will be directed into the desert, to find the masters who live there.

Hit Die: d4.

Requirements
Alignment: Must be Lawful Neutral, True Neutral, or Lawful Good.
Knowledge (arcana): 8 ranks.
Knowledge (religion): 8 ranks.
Spellcraft: 6 ranks.
Feats: Endurance and Spell Penetration.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast both 1st-level arcane spells and 1st-level divine spells.
Special: The character must travel into Great Satara and seek out an Esoteric mentor. Also, the character must worship the Overgod exclusively, and belong to the Esoteric faction of Satet.

Code:
[color=silver]
Class Base   Fort Ref  Will Bonus
Level Attack Save Save Save Spells Special
 1    +0     +2   +0   +2   3      spontaneous domain casting
 2    +1     +3   +0   +3   2      asceticism
 3    +1     +3   +1   +3   3      arcane skill bonus +2
 4    +2     +4   +1   +4   2      divine arcane
 5    +2     +4   +1   +4   3      arcane skill bonus +4
 6    +3     +5   +2   +5   2      unrestricted spontaneous casting
 7    +3     +5   +2   +5   3      arcane skill bonus +6
 8    +4     +6   +2   +6   2      insight 1/day
 9    +4     +6   +3   +6   3      insight 2/day
10    +5     +7   +3   +7   2      transcendance, insight 3/day
[/color]

Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), Profession, Scry, and Spellcraft.

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An esoteric is proficient with all simple weapons, but no form of armor.

Bonus Spells: This ability is identical to the Bonus Spells ability of Mystics (Dragon Magazine #274, page 50).

Spontaneous Domain Casting: This ability is similar to the cleric's ability to spontaneously cast healing or harm spells. If the esoteric's divine spellcasting is not from the cleric class, they gain the ability to spontaneously cast healing spells as a cleric. If the esoteric's divine spellcasting is from the cleric class, he gains the additional ability to "lose" a prepared divine spell in order to cast a domain spell of the same level or lower.

Asceticism: By 2nd level, an esoteric has learned to temper his body with rigorous training and meditative exercises. He may go a number of days without food, water, or sleep equal to (2 + Wisdom modifier, minimum 1) x level. For example, a 4th level esoteric with a 15 Wisdom could go without food, water, or sleep for 16 days, or a little over two weeks. This is an extraordinary ability.

Arcane Skill Bonus: The esoteric spends much of his time immersed in study and contemplation of magic. At 3rd level, he gains a +2 competence bonus on all Knowledge (arcana), Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device checks. This bonus increases to +4 at 5th level and +6 at 7th level.

Divine Arcane: By 4th level, esoterics have meditated on the powers of magic to such an extent that they begin to see unity in the ways of divine and arcane magic. The esoteric may now increase his caster level with his divine spells by an amount equal to either his level in the esoteric class or his level in an arcane spellcaster class, whichever is lower. Conversely, he may also increase his caster level with arcane spells by an amount equal to either his level in the esoteric class or his level in a divine spellcaster class, whichever is lower. Note that this is only caster level: the esoteric does not receive more spells per day because of this ability, he merely increases the level-based effects of his spells. For example, a 6th level cleric / 2nd level wizard / 4th level esoteric has an effective cleric caster level of 8th level (6 + 2 from wizard, which is the lower of his wizard and esoteric classes), and an effective wizard caster level of 6th level (2 + 4 from esoteric, which is the lower of his cleric and esoteric classes).

Unrestricted Spontaneous Casting: At 6th level, an esoteric is so in touch with the Overgod that he need not prepare his divine spells ahead of time. All of his divine spellcasting is performed as a sorcerer. Note, however, that if the esoteric has domain spells available from the cleric class, these stay fixed. The slots from domain spells must only be used to cast domain spells.

Insight: At 8th level, an esoteric may commune with the Overgod to gain some insight into a problem at hand. The Insight ability may be used once per day starting at 8th level; this increases to twice a day at 9th level, and three times per day at 10th level. Gaining insight is a move-equivalent action and may be used in combat. When using this ability, the esoteric must state the problem that he wishes to gain Insight on. He then gains a +20 competence bonus to the one next skill check, saving throw, or attack roll that relates to the problem. This is a supernatural ability.

Transcendence: At 10th level, the esoteric has transcended the mundane and become a murshid: a master of the spiritual life. The esoteric is no longer wholly of this world, as a divine emanation of the Overgod has entered his being. The practical effect of this is that the esoteric gains damage reduction 15/+1.

and lastly, again for my Islam-style religion, i wanted to make an assassin prestige class that was less arcane than the DMG assassin, and more based on the way the real assassins behaved: i.e., they were fanatical religious zealots and disdained sneak attacks in favor of wide-open suicidal frontal assaults. this might be appropriate for a prestige class for a lawful murder, death, or vengeance god.

Sateti Holy Slayer
The Holy Slayers are a special order of warrior-priests of Satet, who have learned the ways of the assassin as a means of gaining power. These ruthless and fanatical killers believe that if they kill and die for the Overgod, they will be guaranteed Paradise.

Most holy slayers are either Moralists or Canonists. In either case, they must be willing to sacrifice their life for the order and for their beliefs.

Holy slayers are trained and organized in cells, and operate in secret, both from the outside world and from other cells. Although they have the tacit acceptance of most of the nations of Satet, they believe secrecy to be one more of their arsenal of weapons that gives them power over their enemies.

The victims of holy slayers are usually apostate Satetis, trouble-making polytheists, and the personal enemies of the various Moralist and Canonist priests who employ the slayers.

Most holy slayers started out as rogues or rangers. Fighters or bards are also somewhat common. Rare are the holy slayers who were spellcasters originally, although some of the Moralist priesthood will sometimes hear the call to slay for the Overgod.

NPC holy slayers are generally close-lipped and efficient killers. They are fanatically devoted to their cause, and almost nothing can sway them once they have embarked on a course of action. Holy slayers tend to work in small, discrete cells of about four. These cells are generally under the guidance of a particular priest. There are larger groups of holy slayers; these are usually the training grounds for new recruits.

Hit Die: d6.

Requirements
Alignment: Must be Lawful Evil or Lawful Neutral.
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Hide: 8 ranks.
Move Silently: 8 ranks.
Disguise: 5 ranks.
Knowledge (religion): 3 ranks.
Special: The character must worship the Overgod exclusively, and belong to either the Moralist or Canonist faction of Satet. In addition, he must kill someone at the behest of a Moralist or Canonist priest, for no other reason than to join the Holy Slayers.

Code:
[color=silver]
Class Base   Fort Ref  Will
Level Attack Save Save Save Special
 1    +0     +0   +0   +2   fervor 1/day, fanaticism, poison use
 2    +1     +0   +0   +3   fast movement, uncanny dodge (Dex bonus to AC)
 3    +2     +1   +1   +3   fervor 2/day
 4    +3     +1   +1   +4   precise strike +1d6
 5    +3     +1   +1   +4   fervor 3/day, uncanny dodge (can't be flanked)
 6    +4     +2   +2   +5   death strike
 7    +5     +2   +2   +5   fervor 4/day
 8    +6     +2   +2   +6   precise strike +2d6
 9    +6     +3   +3   +6   fervor 5/day, no longer winded after fervor
10    +7     +3   +3   +7   uncanny dodge (+1 vs traps)
[/color]
Spells per Day
Code:
[color=silver]
Class
Level 1  2  3  4
 1    0  -  -  -
 2    1  -  -  -
 3    1  0  -  -
 4    1  1  -  -
 5    1  1  0  -
 6    1  1  1  -
 7    2  1  1  0
 8    2  1  1  1
 9    2  2  1  1
10    2  2  2  1
[/color]

Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Innuendo, Intimidate, Intuit Direction, Jump, Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Profession, Read Lips, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Tumble, and Use Rope.

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A holy slayer's weapon training focuses on weapons suitable for stealth and quick strikes. Holy slayers are proficient with the dagger, club, light crossbow, dart, sling, sap, short sword, rapier, scimitar, shortbow, kukri, hand crossbow, and the whip. Holy slayers are proficient with light armor, but not shields.

Fervor: At times, a holy slayer's devotion and zeal can overcome him. When he needs to, a holy slayer can work himself into a fanatic fury. While in the grip of fervor, a holy slayer gains phenomenal strength and durability but becomes reckless and less concerned with defending himself. This is similar in all respects to a Barbarian's Rage ability (Player's Handbook, page 25), except the bonues are +4 to Strength, +2 to Constitution, and a +4 morale bonus on Will saves, with a -2 penalty to AC. A holy slayer may enter fervor once per day at 1st level, twice at 3rd level, three times per day at 5th level, four times at 7th level, and five times per day at 9th level. At 9th level, the holy slayer is no longer winded after the bout of fervor has passed. This is an extraordinary ability.

Fanaticism: At 1st level, a holy slayer is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). In addition, he receives a +2 morale bonus against mind-affecting spells or spell-like abilities. This is an extraordinary ability.

Poison Use: This is identical to the Poison Use ability of Assassins (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 30).

Fast Movement: Starting at 2nd level, the holy slayer gains a speed faster than the norm for his race. This is identical to a Barbarian's Fast Movement ability (Player's Handbook, page 25).

Uncanny Dodge: Also starting at 2nd level, the holy slayer gains an extraordinary ability to react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to even be aware of it. This is identical to the Rogue ability of Uncanny Dodge (Player's Handbook, page 48). If the holy slayer receives this ability from another class, the levels stack for determining the bonus.

Precise Strike: At 4th level, the holy slayer gains the extraordinary ability to strike precisely with light piercing weapons. This is identical to the Precise Strike ability of Duelists (Sword and Fist, page 18). At 4th level, the damage bonus is +1d6; this increases to +2d6 at 8th level. Precise Strike cannot be used while under the effects of fervor.

Death Strike: At 6th level, a holy slayer can execute a death strike with a melee attack once per day. The holy slayer must announce his intention to use the Death Strike before he makes his attack roll. If the attack roll is successful, the victim must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + the holy slayer's class level + Strength modifier) or die immediately. If the saving throw succeeds, the attack still does damage as normal. Death Strike can be used while under the effects of fervor. This is a supernatural ability.

Spells: As early as 1st level, a holy slayer may gain the ability to cast a small number of divine spells. To cast a spell, the holy slayer must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the spell's level. Holy slayer bonus spells are based on Wisdom, and saving throws against these spells have a Difficulty Class of 10 + spell level + the holy slayer's Wisdom modifier. When the holy slayer gets 0 spells of a given level, such as 0 1st-level spells at 1st level, the holy slayer gets only bonus spells. A holy slayer has access to any spell on the list below and can freely choose which to prepare, just as a cleric can. A holy slayer prepares and casts spells just as a cleric does, excepting spontaneous casting.

Holy Slayer Spell List: Holy slayers choose their spells from the following list:
1st level - bane, detect magic, doom, guidance, inflict light wounds, shield of faith.
2nd level - darkness, death knell, endurance, spider climb, undetectable alignment.
3rd level - bestow curse, blur, deeper darkness, invisibility, silence.
4th level - freedom of movement, locate creature, nondetection, poison.

Last edited:

Remove ads