Need some good flavor text to describe a stunning beauty

dm4hire

Explorer
Surely the woman before you is a wayward sister to the goddess of beauty; the only distinction between them is that this one wears a foreboding spirit like a crown. You long to trust her, but you cannot shake that feeling, warning that a kiss from her would be death.

Daern

Explorer
Beauty Implacable

Clark Ashton Smith

White Beauty, bending from a throne sublime,
Hath claimed my lips with kisses keen as snow:
Now through my harp the tremors come and go
Of things not stirred with urgencies of time;
Now from the lunar mountains, old and lone,
In dream I watch the neighboring world remote;
Or on the dim Uranian waters float
After a star-like sun from zone to zone.
Lo! in her praise, the stern, the fearful one,
Whose love is as the light of snows afar,
Whose ways are difficult, what word shall be ?
I, desolate with Beauty, and undone,
Say Death is not so strong to change or mar,
And Love and Life not so desired as she.

from

Clark Ashton Smith - The Eldritch Dark

the woman walks into the room and time slows down. You note her delicate features that transend normal standards of beauty. If the gods were seeking the the beautiful woman in the world she may very well be it. Her beauty transends time and logic. None can not ignore her and stop in awe unconscienciously.

NewJeffCT

First Post
the woman walks into the room and time slows down. You note her delicate features that transend normal standards of beauty. If the gods were seeking the the beautiful woman in the world she may very well be it. Her beauty transends time and logic. None can not ignore her and stop in awe unconscienciously.

I like that one... thanks

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
I offer a suggestion:

Do not describe her initially (except *very* briefly.)
Describe indeed, in eloquent detail, the reaction of OTHER people (and even other beings) to her. Describe drastic changes in their behavior due to her presence, describe actions they take because of her presence.

In an extreme case of this:

The DM: You are walking down a forest road. A man, clearly blind, staggers towards you.
The party: We move to help the blind man.
The DM: The man cries incessantly. He is incoherent. All he can talk about is this wondrous beauty, this unearthly radiance.
The party: Of a woman?
The DM: He does refer to 'her' and 'she'. You now notice that he is wearing the clothing of an evil cleric, and his weapons and unholy symbol are missing.
The party: Perhaps he attacked her?
The DM: If he did, he does not mention it. But you do, now that you listen for it, hear self-recriminations amidst the admiration, for something he either did, or tried to do.

Some in the party: Hey, didn't we come here to burn and loot this forest?
Others in the party: Why, yes we did.
Everyone in the party: Uh-oh ...
The DM: What?
The party: We're in trouble, aren't we?
The DM: I never said you saw anything. There is nothing there, if you are looking, just trees.

What is up ahead?
Most would say nymph, and maybe they are right. Maybe not, too.
All this, because of a description and behavior given by an NPC. So far, the DM hasn't described what's out there at all.

The imagination does wonders, when it is left to wander freely. The party will work themselves into a fit, trying to figure out how to deal with the threat ahead, which they have not seen, and which might not even exist. (That evil cleric might have blundered into the forest long ago, blind back then.)

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
She stands before you, her gaze dark and cold like the bottom of a well. Her night-dark hair frames her face in the manner of a bride's veil, and she smiles in anticipation. She is confident of her power, and knows she draws strength not from the fickle will of her gods, but by their own weakness before her.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Words are unnecessary - Jim Carrey conveys the sentiment you're after without using any:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfjuZVG4wGM]YouTube - Cameron Diaz Dancing in "The Mask"[/ame]

-Hyp.

Remove ads