D&D 3E/3.5 need some idea for level 100 3.5/pathfinder

paradox42

First Post
I'm guessing that you got here by short cuts. Since it has taken me 3 years and roughly 200 hours of gaming to go from 1st-6th level, I can't imagine what a campaign that legitimately got to level 100 looks like, but I can tell you that it would need to met more than once weekly for 8 hours at a stretch since the beginning of 3e 13 or so years ago. 6000+ hours of gaming? I just can't fathom it.

Incorrect. Different people use different XP charts, and additionally, different people use different amounts of combat, story awards, etc. to advance PCs. There's also the rule that limits XP gain beyond what it takes to advance a level, until you actually do advance, which was a hol;dover from 2nd Edition IIRC; if you have a level-training rule (which a lot of GMs do, to slow down PC advancement), then it becomes quite possible to lose XP to that rule because the PCs simply don't get back to town and trainers quickly enough.

I ran a game that started in 2001 under 3.0 rules, transitioned to 3.5 later, and had to use the Immortals Handbook when it came out (yes, it wasn't vaporware, though you could be forgiven for thinking that it was since it took forever to arrive and wasn't widely advertised or used) because the PCs actually were Just That Powerful by then. We essentially ended mortal-level gaming around 40th level, and transitioned the PCs to deities and kept going in Immortal territory; that happened back in and around 2008 (there was actually about a year of gaming where all we did was have PCs figure out how to ascend to divinity and Go For It). That game continued until 2010 and did involve "shortcuts" in terms of class levels and HD, since by then what really mattered was Divine Rank of course. During all this time, it was run as weekly sessions of 6 hours each, every Saturday, with occasional breaks for vacations and periods when I personally needed to recharge my batteries. Most of the gaming stretch was actually 2 different games (with different PCs in each, though often one or more players would have characters in both) run in the same world, so 12 hours of gaming each Saturday more or less.

But based on that experience, and particularly the experience of that initial game and the multiple side-games I ran during the same periods, I'd say that taking 3 years/200 hours to go from 1st-6th level is pretty slow. Each game where I had PCs start at 1 and go from there, they gained their first few levels quite quickly, and the two that didn't end in a TPK after a few levels got to Raise Dead territory after about 6 months. That'd translate to roughly 144 hours for 9 levels.

To the OP's question, I can say that level 100 PCs are pretty damn difficult to challenge, but it also sort of depends on what rules you're using for level 100- there are many ways to go with it. Nevertheless, it is possible- you just have to think big enough. Creatures like the Nexus Dragon, Neutronium Golem, and others can provide legitimately scary monsters, but the best opponents are NPCs built using the same rules the PCs are using- which means it takes a lot of work. Celebrim and other posters who have answered something besides "don't do it" are on the right track: think Cosmic. Think Infinity Gauntlet and Living Tribunal type stuff. Think direct alteration to the multiverse, or even travel to other multiverses (I used that one). Think as big as you can, and then try to stretch yourself to think bigger.

Epic games provide the best stories and most drama possible to obtain in this genre of gaming- don't let the naysayers fool you. But also don't fool yourself- it takes great attention to detail and a flair for large numbers and math to do it well. If you can, you'll have a gaming experience that you and your players will never forget, but most people don't have the patience and attention to detail necessary to pull it off successfully. That is the real reason why most games stop at low levels, assuming the players can stay together to keep it going- it's because running the game starts to become too much work for the GM, and he/she just can't handle it anymore. But it can be done.

GameOgre

Adventurer
Anyone running a real 50+ level D&D/Pathfinder campaign would know FAR FAR more about what level 100 looks like and the type of adventures than anyone with a more typical 1-20 campaign. We don't even have any way to base wild theory's on that level of play.

Did the Gods get passed by at 50th? Are the Gods 200th? No real scale to base any assumptions on other than the 1-20 with perhaps some epic play occurring up to 30th.

We need more data than just level 100 to make any sort of true contribution.

xander764

First Post
Anyone running a real 50+ level D&D/Pathfinder campaign would know FAR FAR more about what level 100 looks like and the type of adventures than anyone with a more typical 1-20 campaign. We don't even have any way to base wild theory's on that level of play.

Did the Gods get passed by at 50th? Are the Gods 200th? No real scale to base any assumptions on other than the 1-20 with perhaps some epic play occurring up to 30th.

We need more data than just level 100 to make any sort of true contribution.

i have them be around 100ish to 200 for god level

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
Perhaps Nobilis style gaming could work? That can get super abstract, and it's diceless. You could have players that are the embodiment of Pi...trying to round off the corners of the multiverse. At any rate, there should be a lot less dice rolling and more far flung planning and crazy role-playing.

Maybe something like the Big Rip is pending (in a billion or so years), and the player characters need to create, populate and evolve an entire new reality so that they can begin the process of evacuating the planes. You could deal with issues of selective vs open evacuation (do we allow the demodands, extant deities and other "badness" in our new multiverse or leave them to be torn asunder?, etc).

Maybe add something like the Inhibitors from Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space book series to oppose the PCs and up the ante. You see, while the PCs are talking evacuation, the Inhibitors are going the opposite direction. They are going to save the multiverse from the horror of the big rip...by puppy-coffining reality one plane at a time "sorry old yeller...bang...sniff sniff"...on to the next plane. What's more, the inhibitors are at least as high level as the PCs so direct confrontation could actually cause more problems than it would solve. SO, the PCs really have to work in a race type scenario to see how much they can save before it all goes rrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiippppp...and in the end...do they allow the inhibitors to evacuate?

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
You want a game designed for stabbing the concept of evil.
I don't know why, but this made me think of Megamind's argument with Minion about "what's good for bad"
[video=youtube;LOAB2Xa_XC8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LOAB2Xa_XC8#t=16 s[/video]

Remove ads