Need something nasty to do to a scryer

Barcode

First Post
What is to keep someone with enough time on their hands from just trying to scry over and over again until the target misses their will save and they win the caster level check vs. the Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location?

Specifically, what can the target of a scry do offensively to a detected scryer? What if they don't have some handy method of detecting the scry attempt? Is there some nastiness (a symbol or something) that affects a scryer?

Wrath of the Swarm

Banned
Banned
Do gaze attacks carry through scryings? Furthermore, do gaze attacks function in darkness? If a character enters a pitch-black cavern room in which there is a basilisk, does he run the risk of turning to stone? What if he has darkvision and can see the basilisk clearly? Lastly, does Scry permit the caster to see in the dark as Clairvoyance/Clairaudience does?

If the subject knows he's being scried upon regularly, he might try to capture a basilisk and keep in it a cage within a fully darkened room (while wearing a blindfold, perhaps). When someone tries to scry in, they run the risk of catching the basilisk's gaze.

StMalice

First Post
Great question I wanna know as well. We have a player in our group that the DM is fed up with. This player, a total min/maxer extremist, hates playing above 5th level. Now he's been sucked into our 15th level game and said word for word "I wanna show Jason (the DM) not to mess with me and how powerful I am, he will so under estimate me." Okay, he has issues....clearly. But, we needed a 4th so he's in. He's a cleric/divine oracle which means he can scry his butt off. Our DM is good, but never faced a scryer before, especially of this power. What IS the best way to mess with them?

mikebr99

Explorer
Ot

StMalice said:
Great question I wanna know as well. We have a player in our group that the DM is fed up with. This player, a total min/maxer extremist, hates playing above 5th level. Now he's been sucked into our 15th level game and said word for word "I wanna show Jason (the DM) not to mess with me and how powerful I am, he will so under estimate me." Okay, he has issues....clearly. But, we needed a 4th so he's in. He's a cleric/divine oracle which means he can scry his butt off. Our DM is good, but never faced a scryer before, especially of this power. What IS the best way to mess with them?
OT... but... you don't need a 4th THAT badly... If you have a good 3 & a DM, let the other guy go.

• Jason should create a character, and just have one of the others roll for him and stuff.
  • Gestalt rules are good for small groups
  • etc.
Question though... how can he be min/maxer if he hates higher level play?

Mike

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I imagine he'll change his tone on that if the scrying is followed by a teleportation attack. In 3.0, the foe won't even need to teleport in himself--he can just cast summon monster for some demons/devils/celestials with the usual teleport w/out error ability, buff them up (Mass Haste, etc), and tell them to teleport to and kill the guy they see in the mirror.

When I have the opportunity to make house rules myself, I generally rule that any [pattern] or purely visual effect (like color spray) works through a scrying sensor. So the guy being scried could cast hypnotism or rainbow pattern on the scryer.

Alternatively (and requiring no house rules), you could selectively use False Vision to give the scryer selective misinformation. (The BBEG is in cahoots with the leader of Divine Oracle's faith--or his right hand man if he is the leader himself, etc).

Barcode said:
Only if the scryer cares about his privacy. Which in my case, he doesn't.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Monte Cook's Complete Book of Eldritch Might has some interesting scrying and antiscrying spells - like one that lets you reverse a scry, or even better one which allows you to do damage to someone scrying you. Dmage rolled on large handfuls of dice is a good way of saying 'get off my back'.

J

Greybar

No Trouble at All
What if they don't have some handy method of detecting the scry attempt?

Remember that an Int check DC20 will spot the scrying effect.

I believe that Tome and Blood had an antiscrying spell or two...

john

Remove ads