Need Violence! 24 Hour RPGs (Now available for download!)

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
HellHound said:
I haven't seen an entry from you so far this year. I'm also curious if you ever did anything with last year's attempt, Rob Bot and his Robotic Buds. I really like the layout and the tone of the documentand think you were going the right way with this one, but obviously life got in the way of completion.

I haven't had time this year. Some disastrous freelance jobs in June have left me working to make up for lost income. What I want to do, when I get the time and energy, is attempt 24 short games -- along the lines of All Fall Down -- in 24 hours.

As to Rob Bot, I've actually toyed with the concept as either a comic or to pitch as a cartoon series. It's been developed beyond the initial idea but there's nothing completed that I could share with the world.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
HellHound said:
You can tell that my anger burned out about a third of the way through, and it goes from colloquially (and violently) describing scenes of carnage to typical RPG manual language.

My one project that was created in frustration/anger/disgust, Vigilante, turned out better than I had hoped. I guess you just weren't angry enough. :)

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I'd heard of Vigilante, but had never seen it. Still get any hate-mail for it?

Here's my comments on my first 24 hour RPG, culled from the end of the document in question:

Here are my thoughts, from the last page of the document:

I didn’t expect a 24 hour RPG to be easy, but I certainly learned a few points to make it easier next time.

1. Don’t decide on the formatting first. I sat down at the beginning of the process, decided I would do something intense and bloody, and built the page layout and cover graphics first, and then a few of the blood spatter graphics later. Then I typed the material for this ugly game into the layout I had prepared. This lead to some problems as I added material or shortened material to make it fit the page better. Suddenly, the game REALLY had to suit the format instead of just doing the formatting last. I like that the formatting came out so stark and strong, but it certainly but a serious crimp in my writing style. Plus, you can see that my formatting style evolved as the document did, with later chapters having somewhat more creative formatting than earlier ones.

2. Gloss over a lot of stuff. I wanted this game to have actual equipment rules initially - it was going to use the guns from the d20 system, and include full shopping lists of other cool stuff like in the original Top Secret game.. That had to go when I realized that it was either going to be 10 pages of equipment and rules for such, or the mission generation system. Since the mission generation system is basically the excuse for this game to exist... equipment had to go.

3. Don’t ever actually expect to have 24 hours to do your 24 hour RPG. Between family, summer time, 2 home businesses, car repairs, and a million other things (like sleeping and eating), actually plan to get something topping out around 12 hours into each 24 hour RPG. If you can get more time out of those 24 hours, more power to you. I honestly expected I would spend at least 12 hours just in the writing stage of this project. As if.

4. Maybe, just maybe, try to make something with some sort of redeeming value to gam-ing, to yourself, or to someone. Somewhere around this morning, I realized that the game I was writing may well go into the history books as a nice, light, modern version of FATAL or perhaps even have worse scorn thrown upon it. I’m no Rockstar Games, so I don’t know how I’ll take any of the abuse that may well ccome as a result of this mini RPG.

5. Do the work in an environment that supports spell-checking. I was a twit and set this all up in a layout software that does not include spell-checking or grammar checking, so getting that instant editing that is often required means copying the text into Word or another software and checking it there.

6. To me, character advancement is one of the hardest elements to balance properly for an RPG. This is doubly so when you won’t get the chance to actually playtest your creation. Consider how you are going to handle advancement from the first moment that you start laying out a game system and character generation system. Finding that balance between fast enough advancement to make it ex-citing to the players and slow enough to keep power levels under control is a heck of a job, especially if you leave it for last.

7. Balls to the wall. If it is worth 24 hours of insanity to put together, it must be worth publishing. Get it out there and tell people about it and the 24 hour RPG project. I’m setting this piece of trash up for printing at LuLu, and then I’m hoping to bring a few copies with me to GenCon if they get here in time. Yes, I’m actually going to run this mess of a ‘game’ and see if everyone else thinks it is as ugly as I do.

HellHound

What didn't make it in, due to time constraints (maybe a 24 hour RPG supplement challenge?):

Items in Italics I don't think I would add in now, even though I originally planned on them being there.

• Equipment & Payment system so the characters get paid after successfully completing jobs... but maybe that will just get in the way of the game the way it is written now.
  • Slightly more complex XP system
  • Point-buy character generation system instead of pure die rolling. (66 points spread between 6 stats probably)
  • Section on settings - what to change to make it medieval, or CyberPunk, or victorian, wild west... or Vampiric or somesuch.
  • More examples of play.
  • Explain how to adjudicate various difficulty opposed kill checks. Difficult opposed check for example (ie provide one side with a bonus).
  • Include examples of other skills being used in combat between two assassins trying to kill each other, besides shooting and stabbing. Convincing one another to come out from behind cover (Ease checks), or trying to slip away to get the advantage (Sneak checks).
  • Playtest the Blood system to see if combat is too deadly / not deadly enough for the genre.
  • More setting material in general about the three different campaign types, describing an agency, a freelance team, and a crazed psycho cult.
  • Fill out a few sample record sheets withthe three sample characters from the chargen chapter.
  • Vehicle rules.
  • Actually explain why there is no "smarts" / "brains" / "intelligence" stat in the game, that the players will have to provide the brains for the killers, and the killers just handle the messy parts for them.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
HellHound said:
I'd heard of Vigilante, but had never seen it. Still get any hate-mail for it?

Not since I quit SJGames. I suspect the people who were really angered were happy to see me leave the company.

HellHound said:
5. Do the work in an environment that supports spell-checking. I was a twit and set this all up in a layout software that does not include spell-checking or grammar checking, so getting that instant editing that is often required means copying the text into Word or another software and checking it there.

I wrote the original vs. Monsters (and for that matter Deluxe) in Quark. I think it greatly contributed to the game's final tone.

HellHound said:
7. Balls to the wall. If it is worth 24 hours of insanity to put together, it must be worth publishing. Get it out there and tell people about it and the 24 hour RPG project. I’m setting this piece of trash up for printing at LuLu, and then I’m hoping to bring a few copies with me to GenCon if they get here in time. Yes, I’m actually going to run this mess of a ‘game’ and see if everyone else thinks it is as ugly as I do.

It was over a year between the 24 hour version and the Deluxe version of vs. Monsters. I think that year helped me to refine the game into something I could really be proud of.

HellHound

I love the resolution mechanic you used in vs. Monsters. AssassinX uses a much simpler and old-school Stat + 2d10 vs DC 20 - showing my roots I guess.

I'm thinking I'll work on a 24hour RPG supplement (as detailed above) sometime around GenCon and get the whole thing compiled into one book for printing. How many pages is the vs Monsters deluxe edition?

Remove ads