Need Violence! 24 Hour RPGs (Now available for download!)

arwink

Clockwork Golem
HellHound said:
How many pages is the vs Monsters deluxe edition?

And I agree its a great resolution system. I ran it at a Convention a couple of months ago, and it proved easier to give the rules speil for Vs. Monsters than it did Feng Shui.

This year, much to my delight, I got in on Game Chef and 24-Hour RPG. My first love is actual game design (as opposed to writing a full supplement with all its minutiae). So, I used each as an opportunity to explore ideas for new mechanics. In both cases, I was pleased with the results. I'm probably going to develop them further and release them in some capacity.

Your game looks very cool, Jason. I'd definitely develop it further. If you're still looking for a job, drop me a line at justin[at]bluedevilgames[dot]com; I may have a project that would be good for you.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Thanks for the offer, Justin. I was actually just reading your Game Chef entry. Some of the entries in that contest are truly astounding.

HellHound said:
Thanks for the offer, Justin. I was actually just reading your Game Chef entry. Some of the entries in that contest are truly astounding.
Keep in mind, Game Chef is a week, not 24 hours. As someone who did both, it makes a HUGE difference.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
You can spot osme of the 24 hour vets in the Game Chef because they have more time to work on layout and so on. There's a distinct advantage to doing a few 24 hour RPGs - really teaches you how to work on a major time budget. With 8-16 more hours, AssassinX would have a lot more material to stretch it out.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
HellHound said:
You can spot osme of the 24 hour vets in the Game Chef because they have more time to work on layout and so on. There's a distinct advantage to doing a few 24 hour RPGs - really teaches you how to work on a major time budget. With 8-16 more hours, AssassinX would have a lot more material to stretch it out.

What I really liked about the 24-hour project was the sense of urgency -- there's something coming and if you don't finish soon you'll suffer the consequences.

Kind of like life. :)

I enjoyed both Game Chef and 24HR for different reasons. The former, with its inherent restrictions, forced me to stretch my imagination and "think outside the box." The latter, for obvious reasons, forced me to stay focused and keep organized. They are both great exercises for game designers.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Justin D. Jacobson said:
They are both great exercises for game designers.

I still think a cool idea at a con would be to lock several designers in hotel rooms for 24 hours. The next day the designers would then run their games for con goers.

Remove ads