• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need your thoughts on Monster Tokens.

johnsemlak

First Post
I certainly understand the preference not to have the names on the top theoretically, but in practice, how often does it really make a difference (at least for common monsters)? I mean, if I put an orc token down, but don't say it's an orc, I'm not really heightening the suspense.

I think the best solution perhaps is a separate guide showing what each monster looks like. I have trouble figuring out what monster is being portrayed sometimes (some people's image of what a Kobold looks like is different from mine).

Jeff Wilder

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
On the back, unless it's a double sided print.

And I'd actually like to see counters that are more like Steve Jackson Game's Cardboard heroes in that they have three dimensions.
Well, technically Cardboard Heroes still only have two dimensions ... they just stand upright and flat, rather than lie horizontal and flat. That's actually why I gave up using them (except in cases where portability is extremely important) ... they're just too hard to distinguish unless they're facing toward or away from the viewer.

JoeGKushner

First Post
JVisgaitis said:
Hmm, does that mess them up since they need to be sized for 3.5? Large 2" square, Huge 2" square, etc. . . You have a link? I didn't see them. I messed around with double siders, unfortunately you can see the name through them.

No, I'm afraid no link.

As far as the bases, I never really worried about that aspect of it as a GM but then again, since I paint so much, I rarely have monsters that fill out their proper space to begin with.

One of the few problems I have with the Fiery Dragon counters is that many of them, even the ones for larger creatures, are head shots. Putting it into a 3-D stance with a front and back, tends to alleviate some of that. Or at least it did for the SJG Cardboard Heroes.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
OK, standups are definitely something we will consider in the future. I don't want to have to commission additional art for this project. I did do headshots with races if they were just human-like and full body icons of monsters. I'll post a a link to the PDF token sheet here when I get home.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Since it's a PDF you could offer two versions -- one with names and one without. Then the individual customer can decide which he would like to use.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
philreed said:
Since it's a PDF you could offer two versions -- one with names and one without. Then the individual customer can decide which he would like to use.

Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks Phil, I'm stealing that idea!

Storminator

First Post
JVisgaitis said:
Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks Phil, I'm stealing that idea!

Why couldn't you just have both versions in the same product? Simply double the page count, half with names, half without. Then customers don't even have to decide.

PS

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Storminator said:
Why couldn't you just have both versions in the same product? Simply double the page count, half with names, half without. Then customers don't even have to decide.

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean put names and no names on one page?

Remove ads