• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Negative Energy Plane damage

Corbert

Explorer
OK, at some point in the future, when the PCs think they are strong enough thay are going to go to the Negative Energy Plane, to retrieve a gem containing a celestials stolen ability to forgive. However, I can't find how much damage the Plane itself does to unprotected PCs.

The SRD helps with general things like magic and encounters (very rare), but actuall damage? Nada. OK, maybe its "assumed" noone is stupid enough to go there without protective magic, but i know my players, and at times they completely miss the obvious, so I haveto try planning accordingly.

javcs

First Post
It's in the SRD, just not under the description of the plane itself where one would expect to find it.

In the plane description it says it's major negative dominant, so we scroll up and find:
SRD said:
Major negative-dominant planes are even more severe. Each round, those within must make a DC 25 Fortitude save or gain a negative level. A creature whose negative levels equal its current levels or Hit Dice is slain, becoming a wraith. The death ward spell protects a traveler from the damage and energy drain of a negative-dominant plane.

Not a pleasant place.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The SRD pretty clearly lists the Negative Energy Plane as having the major negative-dominant planar trait.

Negative-Dominant

Planes with this trait are vast, empty reaches that suck the life out of travelers who cross them. They tend to be lonely, haunted planes, drained of color and filled with winds bearing the soft moans of those who died within them. As with positive-dominant planes, negative-dominant planes can be either minor or major. On minor negative-dominant planes, living creatures take 1d6 points of damage per round. At 0 hit points or lower, they crumble into ash.

Major negative-dominant planes are even more severe. Each round, those within must make a DC 25 Fortitude save or gain a negative level. A creature whose negative levels equal its current levels or Hit Dice is slain, becoming a wraith. The death ward spell protects a traveler from the damage and energy drain of a negative-dominant plane.

So they'd be subject to negative levels if they went there unprotected.

Last edited:

javcs

First Post
Alzrius said:
So they'd be subject to both the damage and the negative levels if they went there unprotected.
Not necessarily. The major negative dominant trait overlaps the minor negative dominant trait.

So, in the vast majority of places, they only need the save against the negative levels, when they're in the few areas that are minor negative dominant, they don't need to save against the negative levels, but do take the damage.

Artoomis

First Post
javcs said:
Not necessarily. The major negative dominant trait overlaps the minor negative dominant trait.

So, in the vast majority of places, they only need the save against the negative levels, when they're in the few areas that are minor negative dominant, they don't need to save against the negative levels, but do take the damage.

Either way, if you go to a Negative Energy plane, you die - if unprotected. That's the bottom line. You may live for a short time, but you will most certainly die, and that will be within a five or ten minutes at the most.

The best protection would be a Death Ward item of some sort (not so easy to get), but the spell would work (though it is subject to a Dispel Magic, of course). The spell only lasts a minute per level, so they'd better know exactly where they are going and have the means to get there or this will be a very short adventure.

Last edited:

Corbert

Explorer
Artoomis said:
Either way, if you go to a Negative Energy plane, you die - if unprotected.

... so they'd better know exactly where they are going and have the means to get there or this will be a very short adventure.

Exactly my thoughts, which is why I asked for help ;) I just neede the specific details.

Thanks everyone for weighing in.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads