• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NetFlix's DareDevil - Your thoughts?

I liked it. It was a super-hero drama without all the super-hero. Vincent D'Onofrio's Wilson Fisk was simply superb; at times showing a vulnerability that made you sympathize with him, and then turning around and showing incredible and terrifying rage [SBLOCK] Beheading by car door, anyone? [/SBLOCK]

Charlie Cox did a more than adequate job as Murdock (he certainly helped cleanse my mind of the horrid Affleck), but I felt that they could have potentially cast a different actor. Not that I'm complaining...he did a good job. He could have been *better* though. The choreography for the fight scenes was magnificent, however.

Overall, I really liked it. It's a great origin story, and the lead up to the final episode is well paced and extremely well done.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm only a little way into it and it's going great. Lots of Marvel name-dropping, too. It's almost like a scavenger hunt of links to Marvel history.

And lots of nice, relatively subtle touches too to bring characters to life. One that I noticed was in a flashback - a young Matt winced at the sound of the bell while his old man was training. Nice touch.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Being someone who was never a big comic fan (I read some Vampirella, Cousin Eerie and Uncle Creepy, but not a lot, and no other kind of comic attracted me), so I don't have a canon understanding of Daredevil, the comic. Still, I liked the show, and also, not really being a super hero comic fan, I really like how many superhero shows in the last few years are presented, leaving the super hero spandex out of the story line.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Surprisingly well done. It surpassed Agent of Shield, Arrow and Gotham (not too hard to do). It doesn't innovate. A hero is there to restore the status quo, not change it, but the cinematography, the acting and more importantly the writting are great. Having less episodes (13 instead of 23) makes more less filler. At 10 episodes it would have been thighter and better paced.

Is it grimdark like DC's movies? No. It is dark, but there is space for lighter notes and the hero isn't too depressed. His moral dilemma is not about him being a hero, it is about how far he should go.

Not really an origines story in the traditional way. We get a 30 seconds origine scene at the begining of the first episode and some flashbacks during the show, but DD is in action right from the start. Refreshing.

The only negative note is the baddy. A bit too campy for my taste.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It is on my to-watch-soon list.

One note I'd like to make of it - shortly after its release, it was noted that, ironically, for a show that has a blind main character, Netflix had not included the action-descriptive audio track that is usually used to make shows accessible to blind audience members.

Not only has Netflix corrected this fact (within mere days, which is impressive), but they're putting in effort to correct the omission for their other shows. While it would have been awesome for them to have done this for the start, I give them some significant kudos for dealing with the situation properly and promptly.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I liked the show. I liked how the good guy and the bad guy were technically ultimately after the same thing... but their way of going about it is in two very different ways.

A part of me didn't like the bad guy. Something about him bugged me, though I could never figure out what exactly. It wasn't the acting. I thought the actor did a superb job. Just something about the character.

As for someone who never really read the comics, the one thing I wish they would have mentioned a LITTLE earlier was how a blind guy was able to do what he did. Like when he jumps off a building how does he know there's another building that he's jumping onto and not to the streets three stories below? I suppose people that knew about Daredevil already knew the answer, but I did not and that was bugging me until they explained A) How he could sort of actually see, his "World on Fire" and B) How the chemicals affected him, super enhancing his senses, which essentially allowed A). So I am glad they finally explained this, but I wish they would have made some sort of mention of it in like the first episode, just to give you a slightly better understanding of how he was able to do what he did.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
It's the best superhero TV series I've ever seen, and I hope this influences more shows to go with a shorter format, and that we get many more Marvel street-level stories told through this kind of medium. It's long enough to round out all of the characters, but not so long that it drags. Some episodes had little fighting, but was mostly character development that menacingly led up to a climax of short violence. Loved the pacing and I also thought Vincent D'Onofrio did a great job as Kingpin, but he was also frighteningly disturbing in Full Metal Jacket and the Cell, so I suppose this was to be expected of him.

Remove ads