D&D 5E Neverwinter is the next setting! (Did we know this?)

caudor

Adventurer
I think the Neverwinter Campaign setting will be very fun, especially if Gauntglyrm is tied in.

The Forgotten Realms has always been my favorite setting. I didn't mind the reboot either. It was refreshing, interesting, and moved things along.

I'm hoping the second half of 2011 will have more products available than the first half, especially adventures.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Ruins of Zhentil Keep was a boxed set back in 2e, with more pages than 4e campagin settings.

And a pretty good one, too. Though it had far too much detail for me, a lot of it clutter ("this halfling tavernkeeper th12 once had a pony that..."). A more focused ruin adventure setting would be perfect.

Like Ruins of Adventure WITHOUT ZHENTS FIGHTING RED PLUMES WITH A LOAF OF BREAD ON THE COVER. :erm:

Sonny

Adventurer
And a pretty good one, too. Though it had far too much detail for me, a lot of it clutter ("this halfling tavernkeeper th12 once had a pony that..."). A more focused ruin adventure setting would be perfect.

Like Ruins of Adventure WITHOUT ZHENTS FIGHTING RED PLUMES WITH A LOAF OF BREAD ON THE COVER. :erm:

Ruins of Adventure didn't have a Zhent fighting a Red Plume with a loaf of bread on the cover either. That was The Moonsea.

Mirtek

Hero
Says who?
Counter-question: Find something from WotC saying that they are no longer canon. FR novels have been canon since Dark Walker on Moonshaes was published 1987 during 1st edition days. They were canon during 2e and 3/3.5e and there was never any announcement that this has changed.

All discussions I ever saw since 4e agreed that they are still canon (there's usually a passionate side hating that they're canon and the threads are just big arguments about how they shouldn't be, but you two guy are the first posters I ever saw claiming that they're no longer canon in 4e).

Since no new books are published for 4e it's more difficult to spot the impact of the canon novels, but I am pretty sure that novels have already impacted Dragon Magazine articles on FR lore and did definitely with LFR adventures (while LFR was still canon until just a few month ago when the revoked LFR canon status for the future thus freeing the FR team from having to check and authorize every LFR mod before it an be published)

Edit: Here is one of the most recent things I could quickly find about this topic. While Eric encourages the DM to ignore canon as much as he/she likes, the important sentence for this topic right here is "And since the novels are considered canonical". Not "were considered", still "are considered"

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
Far be it from me to defend it but....

Interesting is a pretty broad subject matter. If it has an essentialized version of the sword mage ala blade singer, that will be, for example, of interest to me.

Originality? Me'h? Seriously, the more I hear people talk about originality, the more I wonder why all of those 'unique' or 'twist' settings from 3rd party publishers tend to fall head first into the gutter despite their great hooks. Originality is highly overrated.

Even the OSR is split on that subject. Some want steampunk or some weird thing while others play OSR games in the first place because they pretty much know exactly what their getting into.

Jhaelen

First Post
Counter-question: Find something from WotC saying that they are no longer canon. FR novels have been canon since Dark Walker on Moonshaes was published 1987 during 1st edition days. They were canon during 2e and 3/3.5e and there was never any announcement that this has changed.
Well, I thought I remembered reading something to that effect around the time they announced the Abyssal Plague novel series.
Or maybe I heard it in one of the WotC podcasts?

However, since I cannot seem to find anything to the contrary I have to conclude that you are right. Yet another reason for me to hate the FR setting ;)

It's really a good thing the Eberron novels were never canon.

Remove ads