3PP Release New 3PP release: Manual of Adventurous Resources: Complete! AVAILABLE NOW!

Just curious, how similar will the Combat Engineer be to the Field Engineer you released a while back?

And if you can spoil a little, will Grinding Cog have a similar mechanic to Viper's Fangs of expending single or limited use items (such as alchemist's fire or healer's satchel) for a related effect? And/or will it involve the properties of equipment being requirement? (Like how some Adamant Mountain maneuvers requiring a weapon with Heavy property)

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
Just curious, how similar will the Combat Engineer be to the Field Engineer you released a while back?

And if you can spoil a little, will Grinding Cog have a similar mechanic to Viper's Fangs of expending single or limited use items (such as alchemist's fire or healer's satchel) for a related effect? And/or will it involve the properties of equipment being requirement? (Like how some Adamant Mountain maneuvers requiring a weapon with Heavy property)
The combat engineer, despite having the word "engineer" in the name, is pretty substantially different from not just the field engineer, but any other existing A5E artificer subclass. It's, well, combat oriented. The archetype gets a custom weapon, suit of armor, and mechanical companion. At various points, you can choose which to upgrade. You can focus on one piece of gear or spread your upgrades around as you see fit. it is very versatile.

Grinding Cog does work a bit like Viper's Fangs, yes. Maneuvers will require you to have specific pieces of equipment to use them. Sometimes the item is expended and other times it's just used in a unique way.

Last edited:

Selganor

Adventurer
So the combat engineer can be the (nonflying?) Iron Man? ;)

Does Grinding Cog only use "normal" equipment or would it be possible to increase use of wands etc.? Someone else was asking for a "wand wizard" type archetype in another thread.

Your Goblinoid Heritage in MoAR: Wilderness has led me to muse about making my own version of the Planetouched Heritage where the Aasimar, Tiefling and Genasi get to be their own lineages, and their gifts get to cover what kind of celestial, fiend or elemental sired their bloodline.

Timespike

So the combat engineer can be the (nonflying?) Iron Man? ;)

Does Grinding Cog only use "normal" equipment or would it be possible to increase use of wands etc.? Someone else was asking for a "wand wizard" type archetype in another thread.
Grinding Cog just uses non-magical gear. Ball bearings, manacles, caltrops, that sort of thing.

Timespike

Your Goblinoid Heritage in MoAR: Wilderness has led me to muse about making my own version of the Planetouched Heritage where the Aasimar, Tiefling and Genasi get to be their own lineages, and their gifts get to cover what kind of celestial, fiend or elemental sired their bloodline.
All of the MoAR Heritages are Josh Gentry's excellent work, by the way. I don't want to steal credit for the work he did!

In my take of the Planetouched heritage, you would have three lineages- Celestial, Fiendish and Elemental. The Celestial heritage would cover the Aasimar while the other two cover the Tieflings and the Genasi. The gifts would then cover what kind of Celestial, Fiend or Elemental sired the Planetouched's bloodline. The tricky part is figuring out what do all Aasimar, Tieflings or Genasi have in common. At the moment, I think all Genasi have the signature trait, Shape Element, which basically functions like Control Flames, Gust, Mold Earth and Shape Water. In their hands, these cantrips could cost a bonus action instead of an action. I am also wondering if the Genasi are more resistant to attacks involving their own element.

Remove ads