• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NEW Anti-Paladin & Paladin! Please review!

Dr. Zoom

First Post
If your group requires a stronger paladin, you have certainly succeeded in providing one. :)

My main observation concerns the levels at which your paladins will receive their blessings. You do realize they get their blessings at the same levels at which they get their regular feats. I suggest changing the blessings to 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, and 19th level. That will give your paladin something to choose at almost every level.

For the Divine Champion blessing, you may want to look at the Remain Conscious feat from MotW and have your ability work like that (without the feat prerequisites, of course).

One more comment. Some of your blessings duplicate paladin spells or are like those spells but much better (divine immunity, for instance). I would either eliminate them (thus giving the paladin a reason to prepare the spell) or tone them down so they do not surpass the spell;s power, making the spell next to useless.

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Explorer
Kaptain:

I admire your attempt creativity in specifically designing a class template for the anti-paladin, and overall I like what you've done. My two criticisms, mirror items noted above. Namely, I think the anti-paladins should be Lawful Evil in alignment, and the Blessings need to be scaled down and/or awarded at different levels.

As for the paladin changes, I thoroughly agree with S'mon that you should not make the mistake of finding ways for paladins to defeat fighters (of equal level) in straight combat. By and large, fighters and barbarians should be able to beat paladins head-to-head in individual, non-magical battles. Fighters are granted extra combat feats to enhance their battle prowess, while barbarians possess faster movement and the ability to dish out extra damage through their rage. They are better warriors for a reason -- that's their niche in game play. On the other hand, paladins are provided with numerous special abilities NOT designed to improve their combat skills, but rather to augment their ability to face evil.

If your game requires a tweaked paladin, the one you've laid out looks good. I would just suggest keeping those 'Blessings' a bit less powerful and infrequent.

Shinsetsu

First Post
I'm not going to split hairs about the blessings (not trying to say that others are splitting hairs). I think it's a great class, and it gives a player an incentive to progress further than the first 4-5 levels of the Paladin core class. Have you considered making true seeing available after taking any 3 blessings? It's powerful, but appropriate, I think.

drowdude

First Post
Remove Gather Information from the class skill list. I doesnt fit the class well IMO.

Have the Divine Fury/Heroic Surge ability cap out at 3 uses/day max. Also, as written now, they receive 2 uses per day right off the bat. Might want to edit that a bit ;)

The other blessing seem relatively balanced unto themselves. In fact I really like the idea overall.

Like several of the other posters above, I too feel that the Paladin should be limited to LG, and that the Anti-Paladin should be limited to LE.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Thanks for the comments; will look them over and revise accordingly. Will post the new version in a bit... hopefully, the @#$#! boards won't slow down in the meantime and prevent me from posting for several hours, LOL!

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Okay, the original post has been edited!

Changes:
Lawful Evil or Lawful Good alignments required.

Gather Information removed as a class skill.

Blessings switched to levels 7, 10, 13, 16 and 19.

Changed Divine Champion blessing slightly.

drowdude

First Post
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
Okay, the original post has been edited!

Changes:
Lawful Evil or Lawful Good alignments required.

Gather Information removed as a class skill.

Blessings switched to levels 7, 10, 13, 16 and 19.

Changed Divine Champion blessing slightly.

Looks good dude.

I reccomend changing Divine Fury as follows...

Divine Fury. (Heroic Surge) May take an extra partial action in a round, either before or after regular actions. Use this ability a number of times per day, depending on class level, but never more than once per round. 7th-12th level: 1/day, 13th-17th level: 2/day, 18th+:3/day.

Do that and change the Will saves to "bad" and I would even consider using this class IMC ;) :D

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
LOL. We keep going over the Heroic Surge feat. It is a standard feat in d20 games, so why should it be unbalanced as a feat in 3e? They could just pick it at 1st level as a regular feat if they wanted to, so why restrict it as a special ability? That seems to defeat the purpose. I have it listed as a blessing because it does not currently appear as a 3e feat.

I did change the saves to Fighter (Fort good, Reflex/Will poor).

drowdude

First Post
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
LOL. We keep going over the Heroic Surge feat. It is a standard feat in d20 games, so why should it be unbalanced as a feat in 3e? They could just pick it at 1st level as a regular feat if they wanted to, so why restrict it as a special ability? That seems to defeat the purpose. I have it listed as a blessing because it does not currently appear as a 3e feat.

I did change the saves to Fighter (Fort good, Reflex/Will poor).

Well, it is a standard in D20 games, but not necessarily D&D ;)

But yeah, if you are allowing it as a feat that fighters have the option of taking it's not so bad. I was under the impression for some reason that you were just giving to paladins to give them an edge.

You might want to let paladin's choose Divine Feats from Defender's of the Faith as Blessings as well.

Remove ads