• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Avenger

Dr_Sage

First Post
Hi I am helping someone in the creation of his first avenger.

The general concept is an elf that was raised in isolation in a sort of monastery (actually the elvish equivalent), an order of Corellon fanatics. He was raised to be a weapon of the Order against the hordes and the tyrany of the world.

Something will happen in his first solo adventure that will make him loose most of his memories (including his age and name), but he will retain his skills, powers and he will not be shure about who he is. He will them join the rest of the party.

Yes, I am shamessly stealing from Bourne (Movies and books) and Azrael (from Batman).:devil:

As I am not yet a pro in terms of builds, here what I am proposing to him for your critique and suggestions:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Dudu avenger, level 1
Elf, Avenger
Build: Pursuing Avenger
Avenger's Censure Option: Censure of Pursuit
Early Life - Isolated (+2 to Perception)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 11, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 18, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 11, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 10

AC: 16 Fort: 13 Ref: 14 Will: 15
HP: 25 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Athletics +8, Religion +6, Stealth +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +0, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +0, Heal +4, History +0, Insight +4, Intimidate +0, Nature +6, Perception +8, Streetwise +0, Thievery +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Elf Racial Power: Elven Accuracy
Avenger Feature: Abjure Undead
Avenger Feature: Divine Guidance
Avenger Feature: Oath of Enmity
Avenger Attack 1: Radiant Vengeance
Avenger Attack 1: Overwhelming Strike
Avenger Attack 1: Angelic Alacrity
Avenger Attack 1: Aspect of Might

FEATS
Level 1: Power of Skill

ITEMS
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) x1
Adventurer's Kit
Holy Symbol x1
Longbow
Falchion x1
====== End ======

I am still getting the hang of it, but the falchion, used as reflufled elven blade, seems interesting.

41891503_9613510.jpg

High+Elves+(SBG+500pts)+9.png

HighElvenSword09.jpg

Surprisingly he will rock with the longbow, considering is a secondary weapon, and I believe will fit his concept well.

My planning for the rest of the heroic will be something like this: Valenar Training (+2 damage scimitars/falchions), Unarmored Agility, Multiclass Rogue, Invigorationg Pursuit, Invigorating Pursuit, Improved Initiative and go for Power attack ASAP). Any Avenger feat shenanigans I can find will be welcome.

My main doubt is: will all of this work? Will this character funtion well and will be ok in combat and exploration? Or am I harming him by following scimitar/falchion way? Are there any superior "scimitar-like" blade around he could master later?:uhoh: Also I have no idea for PP.

Suggestions will be welcome.:)

Last edited:

Ferghis

First Post
Looks fine. You probably should look into taking improved defenses and an expertise feat before hitting paragon, but no hurry. It's pretty difficult to break 4e characters, unless you go hybrid.

One other suggestion: retrain your multiclass to monk instead of rogue at some point, when some memories start coming back.

Dr_Sage

First Post
nice pics.

Thank you!

Looks fine. You probably should look into taking improved defenses and an expertise feat before hitting paragon, but no hurry. It's pretty difficult to break 4e characters, unless you go hybrid.

One other suggestion: retrain your multiclass to monk instead of rogue at some point, when some memories start coming back.

Interesting... any particular reason for monk, or it would be just appropriate fluff?

The player will probably start with a regular greatsword, them we will see it evolving later.

Ferghis

First Post
Interesting... any particular reason for monk, or it would be just appropriate fluff?
The fluff too, but sliding the target one square is a small amount of control that can be very useful for avengers, since they rely a lot on position.

The player will probably start with a regular greatsword, them we will see it evolving later.
You may want to RP the weapon as his special elven sword even without the proficiency, and then play off the proficiency investment as the character's skill improving, instead of getting a new weapon.

Remove ads