• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General New Baldur's Gate III Teaser Trailer

Larian Studios posted a teaser trailer for Baldur's Gate III on Twitter, showing off both apparent cutscene and gameplay footage.

Larian Studios posted a teaser trailer for Baldur's Gate III on Twitter, showing off both apparent cutscene and gameplay footage.

The trailer ends with the statement "Join us on the road to Baldur's Gate Starting June 6" This date is the first date of the Guerrilla Collective Indie Game Showcase, taking place online from June 6-8. Larian Studios is a participant in the event and previously promised Baldur's Gate III news at the showcase. This statement lends further credence to industry speculation that the big announcement will be the date of early access, and it may hint that early access will start on June 6. But it looks like we still have another week before we know for sure.

bg3sizzle.png

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

POE2 went full yeet on the pirate setting. Which some people definitely liked, but more people found very jarring coming from PoE1. PoE1 was a successor to similar gameplay and theme of the older CRPGs. PoE2's whole thing about pirating around would have been restricted to a wacky optional side quest chain in any CRPG.
The vast majority of players who love the genre simply prefer swords and castles with dark dungeons over lush jungles, gunpowder and skullflags. Gameplay is arguably better than in PoE1 (as broken and imbalanced as the systems are), yet it's not more of the same since it's all of a sudden conquistadors instead of knights.

Yeah, I don't really buy any of that, and it's not been a major theme in criticisms of the game. Also, the gunpowder and conquistadors are literally in POE1, and they're no more minor/major here than they were there. Claiming they appeared in POE2 is bizarre in the extreme.

I've seen loads of criticisms of POE2, from the reasonable to the nonsensical, but the vast majority center on the plot being insufficiently compelling, or not liking the gameplay (even whilst acknowledging that it is better than POE1).

RTWP was more or less dead in fantasy RPGs till DOS. The old hallmarks of BG, Icewind Dale, NWN had all been RTWP so a successor was assumed to continue that tradition till one game could prove otherwise.

That's really weird historical revisionism. It's straightforwardly anti-factual. Pillars of Eternity kickstarted in 2012, DOS1 didn't until 2013. End of story. I assume you thought that because DOS came out sooner than Pillars, it started development first? it didn't.

Furthermore, DOS isn't a "successor" to those games. It doesn't play like them on any level. Literally nothing is the same - it's weird to even make the connection. DOS is somewhat similar to Ultima 6/7 and arguably to Fallout 1/2. You could argue it was a successor to those games. But to BG/IWD? No. DOS' big selling points were that it was turn-based, that it was ultra-interactive (i.e. objects can be moved, damaged, set on fire, etc.), and that it was designed from the ground up as a two-player experience. That was pretty exciting. But that wasn't all "It's the new Baldur's Gate!".

I'm honestly wondering if you actually played either POE game, or the BG or IWD games. Given you used the word "yeet" non-ironically, you're presumably under 30 or so? Have you actually played any of these games for more than like, an hour?

PF:KM is far superior to POE2.

There's opinions, and then there's just being ridiculous. Literally one of the criticisms you made of POE2 there is valid - the length of the story. Everything else is just laughable, given you're praising PF:KM. Gameplay particularly. PF:KM's gameplay is, on almost every level, absolutely terrible.

The sad thing is there are plenty of reasons to criticise POE2, and plenty of things to praise in PF:KM. You just only found one of them for POE2 (your "shifting rulesset" claim is particularly nonsensical), and none of them for PF:KM.

Last edited:

There's opinions, and then there's just being ridiculous. Literally one of the criticisms you made of POE2 there is valid - the length of the story. Everything else is just laughable, given you're praising PF:KM. Gameplay particularly. PF:KM's gameplay is, on almost every level, absolutely terrible.

The sad thing is there are plenty of reasons to criticise POE2, and plenty of things to praise in PF:KM. You just only found one of them for POE2 (your "shifting rulesset" claim is particularly nonsensical), and none of them for PF:KM.
This is literally the story of POE2:
You chase around after an arrogant self-righteous false god, just so you can stand by and watch whilst he condemns the human race to slow extinction by absurd metaphysics (or you can die trying to stop him).
There is no player agency whatsoever. Which might be realistic, but I play computer games so I can pretend that my actions can make a difference. It's literally the worst storytelling I have seen in any computer game ever (and that includes Space Invaders). PF:KM has lots of player agency, lots of opportunities to change the outcome of events. It also does something I haven't seen in any other CRPG: it rewards you for doing important tasks first!

And I didn't say anything about gameplay. Because if you leave POE2 for a couple of months when you come back you find you are playing by a completely different set of rules. If you get lucky it might even have changed into a turn based game.

PF: KM sticks obsessively close to the PnP rules. So at least you know how things are supposed to work. It's flaws it inherits from from 3e/Pathfinder.

I think the 789 hours I have spent on PF: KM compared to only 117 on POE2 speaks for itself.

This is literally the story of POE2:

There is no player agency whatsoever. Which might be realistic, but I play computer games so I can pretend that my actions can make a difference. It's literally the worst storytelling I have seen in any computer game ever (and that includes Space Invaders).

Ahhh, the classic internet usage of the word "literally", meaning "not literally" (also "no... whatsoever" to mean "less than I'd like", impressive). You're claiming things are facts which are actually extremely subjective opinions or intentionally misleading summaries (using the word "literally" is claiming something as a fact). Across the entire game, there's significantly more "player agency" in POE2 than in most CRPGs (though arguably less than a couple), and much more than PF:KM. I liked a lot about PF:KM (after many months of patching, it was a trashfire before that), but it's a huge railroad even by CRPG standards (which is saying something!), and has more than one really bad bit where you are forced into a bad situation that there's no logical reason to go into, just so the game can basically go "gotcha lol" when the actual issue was that you can't progress the story unless you "get got".

I think the 789 hours I have spent on PF: KM compared to only 117 on POE2 speaks for itself.

They absolutely do, but perhaps not in the way you think :p

The prove my point that you are a gigantic fan of one of the games, and not coming from a remotely objective place, and also that despite giving the impression that you have fiery hate for the other one and the story is too short, you've apparently played 4-6x longer than it takes to finish that story if you go through it quickly, rather invalidating your own complaint. For reference, I've got about 120-odd on both.

Either way, I'll leave you to it. You're entitled to prefer one of the games, but if you're going to claim on is better, probably best not to claim areas where both have issues, and your preferred game has them worse, eh?

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
2:41 in the video, it looks like group initiative has been done away with and it's now individual. You see a monster's turn queued up in between what look like the characters in the party.

Obviously a very welcome change if that's true, as it was one of my actual concerns about BG3.
I'm betting it defaults to side by side initiative, but that individual initiative is an option.

Which for a game based on D&D would most certainly be individual initiative. Group initiative simply does not work in D&D.
What works in PnP doesn't necessarily work in a computer game. PF:KM's biggest fault was being too faithful to the PnP rules.

And even in PnP we see plenty of groups using alternative rules for initiative.

Var

Explorer
Yeah, I don't really buy any of that, and it's not been a major theme in criticisms of the game. Also, the gunpowder and conquistadors are literally in POE1, and they're no more minor/major here than they were there. Claiming they appeared in POE2 is bizarre in the extreme.

I've seen loads of criticisms of POE2, from the reasonable to the nonsensical, but the vast majority center on the plot being insufficiently compelling, or not liking the gameplay (even whilst acknowledging that it is better than POE1).

That's really weird historical revisionism. It's straightforwardly anti-factual. Pillars of Eternity kickstarted in 2012, DOS1 didn't until 2013. End of story. I assume you thought that because DOS came out sooner than Pillars, it started development first? it didn't.

Furthermore, DOS isn't a "successor" to those games. It doesn't play like them on any level. Literally nothing is the same - it's weird to even make the connection. DOS is somewhat similar to Ultima 6/7 and arguably to Fallout 1/2. You could argue it was a successor to those games. But to BG/IWD? No. DOS' big selling points were that it was turn-based, that it was ultra-interactive (i.e. objects can be moved, damaged, set on fire, etc.), and that it was designed from the ground up as a two-player experience. That was pretty exciting. But that wasn't all "It's the new Baldur's Gate!".

I'm honestly wondering if you actually played either POE game, or the BG or IWD games. Given you used the word "yeet" non-ironically, you're presumably under 30 or so? Have you actually played any of these games for more than like, an hour?

Hey if you don't want to see my point, you don't have to. If PoE1 is anywhere close to Pirates of the Carribean and Conquistador themed to you in comparison to PoE2, well okay, perception varies.

Read again, you seem to have missed he point.
"RTWP was more or less dead in fantasy RPGs till DOS. The old hallmarks of BG, Icewind Dale, NWN had all been RTWP so a successor was assumed to continue that tradition till one game could prove otherwise."

Doesn't have anything to do with what started development firust. I'm saying until PoE1 or even PoE2 was released and got critical acclaim as well as good sales numbers, anyone trying to make a CRPGs and playing it save would have made it RTWP.
If you want to make the claim that Multiplayer is the big driving force behind DOS and at the same time refuse to entertain the possibility that a pirate theme had negative impact on PoE2, I don't know what to tell you.

Use of 'yeet' is indeed ironic and stand in for a nono word I'm apparently not supposed to use on this joint. So my 30 year old bottom is merely trying to follow the rules with a bit of creative freedom, since sentence enhancement words of the F kind aren't possible.
The ad hominem poke is a bit bat taste, but okay I'll entertain you. Never played BG1 or DOS1, got like 100 hours in BG2, PoE1, PoE2, DOS2, 300ish in PF:KM (not because it's better, just because it drags, still haven't gotten beyond Act 4 or so in a playthrough). Also have like 500 hours in Battle Brothers and something approaching 3000 hours spend on XCOM1 Long War. My yes I do enjoy a good turn based combat simulator and acknowledge I might be pretty partial on the matter.

So while I'm definitely on the same side about PoE>PF:KM in mechanical terms, hard disagree on PoE being the better game(s). That's about statistically impossible. Looking at the terrible mess of a launch PF:KM had as well as the backing of their respective studios, PF:KM can't be a worse game in the public's eyes. Something like 20 points less metascore and a much smaller studio/publisher behind it, yet similar sales.
The Metascore is probably undeserved by now - Owlcat have fixed about all the bugs and performance issues they could find after launch. The whole team appears pretty dedicated, so I'd expect some fun to be had in their 2nd game when they're not busy with learning on the job.
While I personally reaaally don't like the combat mechanics of 3.5 with even less restrictions, I do think PoE generally has the better combat system, better graphics and better UI. Yet somehow PF:KM is able to keep up with less polish, smaller marketing budget and possibly smaller brand promoting it (Owlcat/Pathfinder vs Obsidian and established PoE Universe).
Looks to me that overall people think PF:KM is the better RPG and I'm inclined to agree it felt more immersive. You get to make a lot of choices in PF:KM, while they almost exclusively don't have much of a long term impact, they usually hit towards the end of each act and do a good job about making them a tough call in the moment. Painting the trolls in act 2 as sentient creatures in Act 2 comes up as an example where the RPG aspect shines. You can still go full murderhobo and exterminate them all or put in the extra work to spare as many as you can.
The alignment system and conversation options tied to it are straight up garbage and massively limit your choices though.

Anyway BG3 trailer looks neat. More demo gameplay in a bit and possibly Beta in August? Heck yeah.
Watching the announcement on Saturday made me fire up DOS2 again. Definitve Edition really is a noticeable upgrade over the basegame overall. Turns out it's pretty easy to manage things on Tactician the 2nd time around, took me forever to beat that Act 1 Dragon on the first run. Still not a fan of the armor system or how Teleportation breaks half the "puzzles", still more enjoyable than the first time around.

GreyLord

Legend
PF:KM is far superior to POE2. I'm certainly glad Obsidian aren't making BG3. The Outer Worlds was also a dull disapointment.

It was still better than the execrable trash that are the Bethesda Fallout games.

(But yeah, current Obsidian is missing some of the talent that made New Vegas so great.)

I'm playing outer worlds right now, and I am absolutely loving it. I didn't care for Fallout 3 (though I may have for FO:NV, but it was really buggy so never really went far, plus I really didn't like FO3, maybe I should give FO:NV another shot some day).

I tried Disco Elysium which everyone raved about, but found it not RPG enough for my tastes. It's like a JRPG adventure game, but without combat. There were times I'd have loved to have shot someone (for example, there's a boss who can kill you just by talking smugly to you, I'd have loved an option to simply put a bullet in his knee to show I'll hit back if he can take my life by killing by talking to stop him from doing that or open another way of doing things), but like many JRPG's, you cannot fight NPCs...and they are ALL NPC's in Disco Elysium...it's a lot of talking and point and click (think Quest for Glory, but once again, no combat...so more like King's Quest, but more stats).

Outer Worlds is like a breath of fresh air for me after Disco Elysium (critics raved about Disco Elysium, but for my style of RPG gaming, it really didn't do much for me. As a social commentary, Disco Elysium is actually rather deep and excellent and very artistic, but RPG wise, give me something else).

Var

Explorer
Which for a game based on D&D would most certainly be individual initiative. Group initiative simply does not work in D&D.
Swen mentioned they changed stuff about the Initiative system and we'll get a look at it in the upcoming Demo. I'd fully expect the game to ship with Squad based Initiative and individual Initiative of some sort. We're very likely to see at least 2 out of these 4 (if not all of them):
1. DOS style, highest goes first, then ping pong in between sides.
2. DnD5e, everything rolls for it fair and square.
3. DnD5e, but with "passive" Initiative (or just using a smaller die like a D6 rather than a D20).
4. BG3 Demo gameplay, squad based Initiative.
Gotta admit I do care way too much about whatever ends up the default option though. It's extremely likely I'll stick with whatever Larian ends ups making standard.
Option 1 is lame, devalues having multiple high Initiative characters in the party and honestly is the least interesting.
Option 2 is going to lead to swingy fights, but it's DnD, D20s are always going to be swingy and it makes for fun variation if you have to adjust your plan on the fly to match the dice, rather than execute the same battleplan every fight.
Option 3 is probably my favorite. Initiatve just matters, but save scumming for a better result won't exist. Rolling is fine in DnD, because there is no do over. For a PC game with D20 RNG, it might just be better to tune here a bit.
Option 4 is currently a wildcard to me. Even more than Option 2 This can be completely devastating or trivialize combat entirely depending on how group Initiative is handled. If only the highest result counts every player party gets an alpha strike most of the time. However the other side's damage output will be pretty bursty as well. Somewhat sure 5E mechanics don't deal well with it either way. I'm suspecting playtesting (on top of the obvious player feedback) showed this has massive problems and making individual Initiative matter is pretty important. This does speed up combat significantly and allows to set up combos very easily.
Willing to bet money that Option 2 and 3 make for the better tactical gameplay, 3 is the one I'd personally predict as the most fun option.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads