D&D General New Baldur's Gate III Teaser Trailer

Larian Studios posted a teaser trailer for Baldur's Gate III on Twitter, showing off both apparent cutscene and gameplay footage.

The trailer ends with the statement "Join us on the road to Baldur's Gate Starting June 6" This date is the first date of the Guerrilla Collective Indie Game Showcase, taking place online from June 6-8. Larian Studios is a participant in the event and previously promised Baldur's Gate III news at the showcase. This statement lends further credence to industry speculation that the big announcement will be the date of early access, and it may hint that early access will start on June 6. But it looks like we still have another week before we know for sure.

bg3sizzle.png

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That statue falling/not really falling in response to an arrow was cringeworthy. Excited otherwise, but yikes to that.

I had to go back and look - You're SO right. That looks terrible.

The past tense in the dialog options still annoys me, but otherwise it looks good.

I hate that sooooo much.

... Otherwise this game looks like a lot of fun to me.

Oofta

Legend
There are always going to be compromises on a game. If all objects can be manipulated, it means that you would have to spend an inordinate amount of effort to create animations for every possible manipulation. A lot of the stuff that looks cool in games are really just scripted events or it doesn't have the depth of gameplay and story that this will likely have.

This is also early alpha gameplay, not finished polished product. Even if it wasn't, I'm not sure I would care. How well I can interact with the environments, the story and NPC AI and so on all matter more to me than visuals.

That statue falling/not really falling in response to an arrow was cringeworthy. Excited otherwise, but yikes to that.

Yeah someone on reddit was like "that statue's physics will haunt my nightmares", and wow that was bad.

Also "But it's alpha!!!!" doesn't cut it here, because they chose to show us it. Someone senior at Larian thought that was so cool, they needed to put it in a really short trailer, where in fact it's dumb enough to be a major subject of mockery. That's a bit worrying.

Otherwise it all seems kinda "meh". I mean it might be good, it might not be. At least there's a little more vegetation and the colour green this time, though it's still weirdly un-Realms-y-looking (in every possible aesthetic element).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Having worked in situations where we have showed previews off to the public, it would not shock me if that statue had been the subject of internal debate prior to this point and someone "accidentally" made sure it got in the trailer so that now it for sure is getting fixed ASAP.

(Larian, please don't punish that person. They want the product to be the best it can be.)

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases