New Campaign - But Which System?

Which System

• D&D 5e

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Warhammer Fantasy 4e

Votes: 17 94.4%

W4e. The starter box feeds directly into The Enemy Within as does Ubersreik Adventures.

My group of Pathfinder and Savage World players really took to WHFRP 4e. It’s a fun game. A little fidddly in places but really entertaining.

Two things. 1) random character creation totally rules. 2) anyone who wants to be a wizard needs to really read the spell casting and associated talents. It helps for wizards to start as wizards and not move into that career later.

If you are looking for a one-shot to give the system a try Night of Blood is a classic and is very good.

Last edited:

Retreater

Legend
are you running in person or online via vtt?
On VTT: Roll20.
I have the WH module for Foundry, but think learning a new rules system, a new UI, and testing all that business is too much for this group all at once.
It certainly was for me, and I had a vested interest in getting Foundry to work.

The WHFRP foundry modules are really well done. For the adventures as well as the base system. I ran over Foundry and the system automates a lot of the game. I’ve not tried it on Roll20 but have run other games via Roll20.

The good new is I’m fairly certain you’ll be able to find maps and battle maps if and when you need them.

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
On VTT: Roll20.
I have the WH module for Foundry, but think learning a new rules system, a new UI, and testing all that business is too much for this group all at once.
It certainly was for me, and I had a vested interest in getting Foundry to work.
You say that 2nd edition is not available on Roll20, but there's a great character sheet available with all the dice roll macros setup. You don't have a compendium, but do you really need one? It'll take a little longer to set up a character sheet, but it's not like players have loads of spells to set up.

For NPCs, you don't really need a character sheet, since you're always rolling d% or d10. Of course, character sheets can help speed things up, and I think setting them up without a compendium is actually an invaluable exercise if you're new to the system.

I say this because I'm just starting the same campaign on Roll20 for 2nd edition. I set up sheets for every NPC, which involved copying (or rather summarising) everyone's talents. The great thing about this is that doing so cements in your mind how everything works. I no longer write out any descriptions, since by the fifth time you try to summarise as succinctly as possible the procedure for using Strike to Stun or Disarm you have it memorised. It's excellent prep for running a new system without the need to reference your books constantly.

Retreater

Legend
Hey, the masses have spoken. You owe us 🤓
I think incremental is the way to proceed. Get them learning the system on Roll20 and then try to move to a different VTT at a later date.
But I'm letting the players make the choice of the campaign, system, etc. Just sharing everyone's thoughts with them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases