D&D 5E New character, decisions, decisions

ccs

41st lv DM
My usual leading question....
What types of characters make sense based on the story, where you currently are, & what's currently going on?
Start by answering those questions, see if any of the answers appeal & go from there.

aco175

Legend
I was thinking another thief or a mage of some sort. A warlock might be fun if you are starting at level 9 with the rest. Try another race you might like. A bard could be a good combo of the two.

ECMO3

Hero
So my dwarf rogue (thief) has died in the campaign and the party unfortunately doesn't have the resources right now to get him back. So, time to roll up a new character. I rolled decent ability scores (16, 15, 15, 14, 13, 11). The average party level is 9.
The party consists of two druids 9 (yes two...one moon, the other stars). The other PCs are a once and a while monk 9, and an every other session or so fighter (champion) 3/barbarian (berserker) 6.

So, I am contemplating what I will bring in. Any suggestions from the community? Playing the rogue was fun. I am considering a swords bard to bring some Charisma, but still bring some fight and versatility... But not sold on any one idea yet.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

So first I am going to assume the other players you have are stereotypical "trope" builds. The Barbarian/fighter is a burly melee type. The Monk is a striker. The Druids are the all-around goodness that comes with Druids but don't accel at anything. There is nothing wrong with that, but if it is not the case it affects what I would say. Assuming this is the case and you do not have a "face" barbarian or a sniper monk, here is what I would recommend.

Single classes:

1. Rogue. This is always the best answer. You could go into a party of 4 Rogues and another Rogue would still be the best choice. :p
Arcane Trickster, Swashbuckler or Phantom would be my subclass choice.

For arcane trickster half-elf Fey touched feat (int) and ASI (dexterity)
D20, I16, Ch16, C14, W14, S11

For swashbuckler or Phantom (assumes race with +2/+1): D20, ch16, W16, C14, I13, S11. ASI (dexterity), skill expert (wisdom)

2. Wizard. This is usually the 2nd best choice after Rogue. You really could do anything. Enchanter, War Magic, diviner or Evoker would be my choices with this party.

Variant human is the best race here. +1Int/Ch
I20, Ch16, D15, C14, W13, S11
fey touched feat, ASI (intelligence), warcaster. Alternatively instead of warcaster you could go ASI(+1D/+1W) or resilient dex.

3. Sorcerer or Warlock. So if you don't have a high charisma guy in the party these guys are great options. I would say Paladin too, but with a Monk and a Barbarian in a 4-person part I think a sorcerer or warlock is a better choice. From a role play point of view this is not as good as a Charisma Rogue IMO.

I would look at tieflings and other races that get lots of free spells. If this is a "dark" campaign Drow, Snirfneblin and Duergar are on that list.

Ch20, D16, C15, W14, I13, S11

I would go fey touched and shadow touched here to boost Charisma to 20 while picking up 4 more spells. Other options are a charisma ASI and resilient constitution (which would give the same stats as above but with a 16 con).

12. Bard. Just kidding this is not really 12th. I personally do not like playing Bards so for me this would be 12th, but honestly this looks like a viable class for your party and with an entirely objective poster (which I am not) this may be near the top of the list. I have not played a bard so I am not going to list more than this.

My preferred multiclass options at level 9:

1. Goblin Rogue 1, Fey wanderer Ranger 8. D18, ch16, W16, I14, C14, S11

feats: shadow touched (invisibility and cause fear, +1 wisdom), skill expert (+1 charisma)

You start out as a Rogue, giving you 6 skills including background. Make 1 of them intimidation and another one either deception or persuasion. Take expertise in both of these charisma abilities. Then with Ranger you get another proficiency and another expertise. You can take the third expertise in anything. Pick Druidic warrior fighting style for guidance and another cantrip of your choice. At 4th level (Ranger 3) you get proficiency in either persuasion or deception (whichever you did not take earlier) and at 9th level with your second feat you get expertise in this charisma ability and a 9th proficiency.

At this point you have +12 in intimidation, deception and persuasion, you have a 4th skill with expertise and 5 more skills with proficiency and can use guidance to boost these another 1d4.

The reason you want goblin is for the BA disengage/hide. The reason you want shadow touched is to get cause fear to use with beguiling twist. Hit an enemy with cause fear and if he saves redirect to another enemy and no need for concentration any more.

Going forward you can keep going in Ranger or tripleclass to cleric, wizard or sorcerer. If you triple class focus on spells that charm or frighten. If you go wizard your relatively low intelligence can actually be a bonus because if the first enemy makes his save and you can redirect to a wisdom save against frightened and drop any concentration requirement.

2. Rogue 4, Fighter 5. I like Arcane Trickster/Arcane Archer for this build, but Arcane Trickster/Eldritch Knight is probably a better build. This character is a bowman with spells.

Variant human is the way to go here too.

D18, I18, ch16, c14, W13, S11

feats: fey touched (hex, misty step +1 charisma), ASI(+2D), shadow touched (illusion/necromancy spell, invisibility, +1I)

Start out Rogue go 4 levels. Then 5 levels of fighter. Take expertise in two charisma abilities.

If you go with Eldritch knight, at 9th level you should have: Mage hand, booming blade, friends, 2 more cantrips, hex, find familiar, shield, absorb elements, protection from evil and good, 3 1st level enchantment/illusions, 1 more spell from any school and 1 first level illusion/necromancy. You also have misty step and invisibility that you can use a 2nd level slot on even though you do not have enough levels for 2nd level spells as a fighter or Rogue yet.

You probably want to go to 6th in fighter for the ASI (I would take sharpshooter), then Rogue the rest of the way.

Last edited:

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Level 9?

Pure Warlock. Take the Criminal Background and the Hexblade subclass for that sweet and sexy 19-20x2 critical. Roleplay as a thief who found a sentient magic dagger that they pactbonded with. Make a Half-Elf for the +2 Charisma (18 at level 1) and put the other +1s onto a 16 dex and 16 con. Drop your level 4 ASI into Charisma and either put a level 8 ASI into Dex or nab yourself the Warcaster feat.

Now here's the tricky part...

Don't take the Blade boon. Go for the Tome. Get yourself some ritual casting put into your character and other cantrips, then trick out your Eldritch Blast and Skills with the Invocations.

Roleplay your Eldritch Blast as throwing your Sentient Dagger Patron at your enemies, use Rituals for arcane funsies, and throw Fireballs like you own the patent. Or play up the illusion/enchantment/rogueishness angle and go with shadows, charms, and the like.

dustfather

Explorer
Level 9?

Pure Warlock. Take the Criminal Background and the Hexblade subclass for that sweet and sexy 19-20x2 critical. Roleplay as a thief who found a sentient magic dagger that they pactbonded with. Make a Half-Elf for the +2 Charisma (18 at level 1) and put the other +1s onto a 16 dex and 16 con. Drop your level 4 ASI into Charisma and either put a level 8 ASI into Dex or nab yourself the Warcaster feat.

Now here's the tricky part...

Don't take the Blade boon. Go for the Tome. Get yourself some ritual casting put into your character and other cantrips, then trick out your Eldritch Blast and Skills with the Invocations.

Roleplay your Eldritch Blast as throwing your Sentient Dagger Patron at your enemies, use Rituals for arcane funsies, and throw Fireballs like you own the patent. Or play up the illusion/enchantment/rogueishness angle and go with shadows, charms, and the like.
That is a pretty cool idea.

Remove ads