D&D 5E New character for level 7 game

dustfather

Explorer
So I am thinking of a new character. The party will be 3 PCs counting me.

Level 7, heroic point buy- 32 points (max 16 before racial mods).

PCs in party- dragon born glory paladin and tabaxi drunken master monk.

Now I do have a rune knight fighter, but I feel like I really should bring something else to the party instead.

Thoughts?

I would recommend a full caster: bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer or wizard.

Because the party is slightly on the small side, I would give serious consideration to the circle of the shepherd druid. Conjure animals and conjure woodland beings can be a bookkeeping pain, but your summoned creatures will be hugely useful and take a lot of pressure off the party. And in a small party it will not slow the game down as much as it would with a larger party. As a shepherd druid your summoned creatures will be stronger than normal. Be sure you get a concentration protection feat. I would also recommend pass without trace to give the entire party massive stealth when necessary. Also check out the summon beast spell in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I would recommend a full caster: bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer or wizard.

Because the party is slightly on the small side, I would give serious consideration to the circle of the shepherd druid. Conjure animals and conjure woodland beings can be a bookkeeping pain, but your summoned creatures will be hugely useful and take a lot of pressure off the party. And in a small party it will not slow the game down as much as it would with a larger party. As a shepherd druid your summoned creatures will be stronger than normal. Be sure you get a concentration protection feat. I would also recommend pass without trace to give the entire party massive stealth when necessary. Also check out the summon beast spell in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything.
I think in a 3 person party a shepherd druid is going to way overshadow your melee allies (and take forever to resolve turns). While it's a very strong option, it's one I would highly recommend against for this party.

I think his is severely lacking range. For your party I'd suggest a ranged EB warlock. Probably a celestial one so you can help provide some healing as well. Summon Fey is great at your level. Invocations primarily for EB lets you really customize it. Alternatively, you get good control spells like hypnotic pattern or banishment. Etc. Just avoid wasting slots on hex unless you can cast it early in the day and keep it up through your rest while you regain the slot (DM Dependent).

I really like a divine soul sorcerer for your party as well. With 2 melee allies, buffing both with haste/fly/polymorph is going to feel great. Alternatively being able to provide a well placed fireball or aoe control spell is very useful as well.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I'd look at Cleric: healing, area control (with Spirit guardians), and ranged attacks w/cantrips. Pic a subclass that boosts cantrip damage at level 8 (or use the TGTE option). You can do that with Lore Bard too (even take Spirit Guardians as your magical secrets?).

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Decent support ability and not a lot of things to keep track of. :)
If that's your criteria then pretty much anything works lol.

I personally look at what your party is lacking.
Ranged Capabilities
Control
Healing
AOE

I'd pick something that fills in those gaps.

Ranged attacks, spell support, AoE damage, or a pet class/summoner would pair well. A grave cleric also super charges those smites and mitigates crits against your team so that'd be fun.

That said, you have two mates who will be in constant melee range of your opponents. A protector like an armorer artificer, ancestral guardian, or cavalier will make you terrifying. I got to see a similar trio in action and it was fantastic.

Remove ads