New Class idea: Demigod class

Rottle

First Post
1st Ed had rules for greyhawk child of Kord, they would be demigods as Kord was the Suel God of strength and fitness. Also in greyhawk there are many minor dieties who once were mortal, some who did become demi or even lesser gods others were heroes with power just below Demi gods.

Now I am no fan of the leveling speed in 3 and beyond as you level at a frantic pace and to me miss some of the most fun when you are at what I think of as the sweet spot. Enough power to be a force but not so much as to be able to be careless with it. I made it through those sweet levels only a few times and frankly only once did the campaigne seem to manage it. Often the game broke down as there were no threats that really were threats. That once was run by a great dm who had planned for this.

But 100 levels....either that will be a grind of epic proportions or you will move through levels at such a ludicrous speed as to negate the meaning of those levels. Is there a reason why so many levels will this campaigne last literally a decade or more, I had one that lasted so long still we only just broke 20 levels barely, 1st Ed. If that's your goal you do aim high and more power to you, I hope it goes well.

Celebrim

Legend
In my opinion, all of the classes are just paths to being a full fledged Demigod. A demigod is little more than a high level member of some class, with high ability scores and so forth. All of that is obtainable through the normal rules. Even acquiring true deity status has even back in the days of 1e been treated as something an epic level character could aspire to or towards.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Really? My group never played anything after 3.5. We only played 3.5 and Advanced.
Yep, really. Other things along those lines too, "Legendary Monarch" for an Arthurian type, for instance. Lots of cool stuff if you were up for higher-level play.
You missed out. ;) Too late now.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
You can try this one. It's a 20 Level breakdown of Divine Rank 0 for 3rd Edition.

Friend and I came up with it due to a campaign we were playing and the characters were eventually replacing the dying deities of the campaign.

The 20 Levels represent the 20 Outsider Hit Dice the majority of deities all have. By the 20th level of it, it is the Full Divine Rank 0.

Attachments

• divine progression-final.xls
    27 KB · Views: 129

Igwilly

First Post
I’m quite late to the party here, but let me express my opinion:

Dealing with this label in D&D is hard because, in pre-4e editions, Demigods are full gods, which were pretty weak compared to others, but still “full-gods” instead of “half-gods”. I know the latter is more common to modern fiction but apparently the former was more-or-less the original usage.
But, who cares?
I read some Percy Jackson books and it was a blast! Half-gods should have unique powers right from the first level, and it fits the modern usage well. So, there’s no reason to not create it. Just choose an edition and you go.

Remove ads