New Cleric Cantrip: Punish

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I didn't think sacred flame fit all clerics. I wrote up this cantrip for clerics of a more vicious, controlling, or war-like nature. What do you think? Seem balanced?

Punish
Necromancy Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Component: V.S
Duration: Instantaneous

You cause a creature great mental anguish that causes its mind to weaken with fear. The target must succeed at a Wisdom Saving throw or take 1d8 psychic damage. You have advantage on Intimidate checks against the target until the end of its next turn. The second part of this effect has no effect on creatures immune to the frightened condition.
This spell’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8) and 17th level (4d8).

Last edited:

It sounds about right, to me. The range seems a little high, but I'm not sure how that compares with the alternatives. The only thing I would really change is the name, because "Chastise" or "Censure" sound more appropriate.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
It sounds about right, to me. The range seems a little high, but I'm not sure how that compares with the alternatives. The only thing I would really change is the name, because "Chastise" or "Censure" sound more appropriate.

Chastise or censure would be more alignment neutral. Or maybe Rebuke. I might add that someone of your faith has disadvantage on the save.

You should probably change this to something like an Attack roll that shoots a beam of psychic energy that harms the target, then they make a saving throw to resist the effects. It justifies the damage and makes it easier to expedite the rules text. After all, this kind of steps on the toes of the Vicious Mockery Cantrip that Bards get.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Not worried about bards as their ability gives Disadvantage to an attack roll, which is more generally useful.

I am planning to lower the damage to 1d6 as it was pointed out that it makes sacred flame unattractive.

As I stated before, you can keep the damage as it is, but make it an attack cantrip requiring a roll that, when it hits, the target makes a saving throw to resist the extra effect. It makes it smoother and could even make for some interesting flavor. You invoke words of such disdain and torment that a burst of foul, lamentous energy surges forth from your lips, striking a target. Make a Ranged Spell Attack roll against a target you see within 60 feet. On a hit, you deal 1d8 Psychic Damage to the target and they must make a Wisdom Saving Throw or suffer Disadvantage on their next saving throw made to resist the Frightened condition.
This spell's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
The above is the final version I'm going with. I don't need the cantrip to do more than sacred flame. I want it to have a minor effect that fits with an evil or neutral priest of a domineering god or a god of justice. Something that allows them to punish and control their slaves and minions.

Remove ads