D&D Movie/TV New D&D movie details? Vecna?!

Maybe humanoids from the underdark have got ecolocallitation, like bats and dolphins.

Other trick to about controversy about darkskins is easy, the drows are totally covered, with hoods and masks. Then if we can't see the color of the skin, but maybe only the leader, a albine, only fans will notice they are drows.
If the leader is a draegloth then we wont even need to worry about skin color because i just wont look human. Too monstrous. Also way cooler than drow priestess. Its a drow demon hybrid. Also we could dodge the bullet of normies saying "hey why is it a meany pants matriarchy" because we can just point at that thing and say "wait wait wait. See not all the meenie pants leaders are female. That one is male. Stop screaming mysogyny. Goos fraba...thats it...the bad guys arent all evil matriarchs in this race." Meanwhile the d&d hobbyists can know the truth. That being that somewhere there is a high priestess this thing calls mommy dearest calling the shots (unless shes dead).

And your wrong. The moronic argument against putting evil black elves in a D&D movie is that ignorant people will say "OMG, they made the alien bad guy BLACK. That means that they're saying all black people here in the real world are evil!"

Read some reviews of The Phantom Menace. People have called racism on aliens that are far more clearly non-human than the Drow. People have claimed that Jar-Jar, Nute Gunray, and Watto were all racist caricatures just because they kind of have real world sounding accents.

Oofta

Legend
Precisely. Also unless something changed since 3rd edition that im unaware of, darkvision ceases to function in perfect darkness. Also, since you only see greyscale, the hue will be pressured less. So you could have all kinds of color randomly as the important part is mostly just how dark the skin is.
The definition of darkvision in 5E is simply "can see in the dark with a specific radius". That's all. The darkness spell specifically overrides it. There is no such thing as "perfect darkness" in the game.

Read some reviews of The Phantom Menace. People have called racism on aliens that are far more clearly non-human than the Drow. People have claimed that Jar-Jar, Nute Gunray, and Watto were all racist caricatures just because they kind of have real world sounding accents.
Of course some reviews of early D&D products said they promoted Satanism (with just as much justification, there were devils in D&D and someone felt that was enough). There is no reason the movie (and 6e) can't do what 2e did to deal with this, change something to make it less offensive. It will be a Hasbro movie, and if you have never watched a Hasbro movie, they change source fluff to fit what the director wants in the movie. No reason one of the changes can't be the Drow.

Oofta

Legend
Of course some reviews of early D&D products said they promoted Satanism (with just as much justification, there were devils in D&D and someone felt that was enough). There is no reason the movie (and 6e) can't do what 2e did to deal with this, change something to make it less offensive. It will be a Hasbro movie, and if you have never watched a Hasbro movie, they change source fluff to fit what the director wants in the movie. No reason one of the changes can't be the Drow.

Do you really think a studio would change the look of an entire race that arbitrarily? That never happens ... oh ... wait...
download (10).jpg

The definition of darkvision in 5E is simply "can see in the dark with a specific radius". That's all. The darkness spell specifically overrides it. There is no such thing as "perfect darkness" in the game.
in 3rd edition there were published benchmarks for lighting levels. They were not written in the same place as vision types (what a wonderful decision). I dont even think they were in the same book.

Oofta

Legend
in 3rd edition there were published benchmarks for lighting levels. They were not written in the same place as vision types (what a wonderful decision). I dont even think they were in the same book.

I haven't played 3.5 for a while now, I'll take your word for it.

Personally light in 5E is one of those things I dislike. Elves would have low light vision, only a few powerful/underdark monsters would be able to see in any environment (ultravision?) if I had my way. But, meh. Not something I care enough about to create a house rule.

I haven't played 3.5 for a while now, I'll take your word for it.

Personally light in 5E is one of those things I dislike. Elves would have low light vision, only a few powerful/underdark monsters would be able to see in any environment (ultravision?) if I had my way. But, meh. Not something I care enough about to create a house rule.
I feel that

Remove ads