D&D 5E New D&D Next Packet Is Available

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think that to much is given to the classes on 1 level .

Much of the stuff given out at Level 1 are optional things that you'll only get if you play a Standard game. Take out Backgrounds. Take out Specialties and feats. Take out most fighter maneuvers and change them instead to "+5 damage per round". Take out all the options for Channel Divinity and instead the Cleric gets Turn Undead "X times per day". Etc. etc. etc.

jhunton... you missed the packet from last May that pretty much had nothing but the classes from the "Basic" game in it. Trust us when we say that the "Basic" versions of the Core Four (the only classes that the Basic game will have) are very easy to grasp. And anything right now that seems complex because there are too many options available... gets made quite simpler when the Basic version just assigns only a few of those specific abilities and calls them "Class Features".

jhunton

First Post
defcon 1 no Ihave not missed any of the packets. it just seems not very basice to me. I don,t think you could get some one new to RPG,s in to it with out a teacher.now don,t get me wrong I am play testing DD next. and have been for some time . they are doing something big. but that being sed they need a very very basice beginers set to get new players.I mean new players. :cool:

Iosue

Legend
I'm honestly hard pressed to see meaningful difference between a Fighter, Wizard, Cleric and Rogue with all the options preset (Defender Soldier, Hedge Magician Sage, Mystical Healer Priest, and Guild Thief) and the Red Box classes. At least when it comes to ease of buy-in.

gyor

Legend
Just looking at backgrounds and realized there is no equiptment listing for mounts. So if you take Knight or Noble's equiptment you have to use the horse in the beastiary.

If you don't take either of those backgrounds you can't buy mount because there is no listed price

Still Knight is the best background for a Paladin anyways as it gives you a war horse and lance at level 1, plus it sits thematically.

gyor

Legend
Just a couple of builds for fun

Race:Human

Class: Paladin

Oath: Blackguard

Background: Knight

Specialty: Hedge Magician

Cantrips: Minor Illusion, Read Magic

Race: Elf

Subrace: Wild

Oath: Warden

Background: Scout

Specialty: Mystic Healer

Race Halfling

Subrace: Stoutheart

Oath: Cavalier

Background: Knight:

Specialty: Two weapon fighting (Lance or Long Sword in one hand, spiked shield in the other).

gyor

Legend
Just noticed that a Blackguard's rebuke undead is a nerfed verison of the clerics. In the Clerics verison the charm condition is permant if itsca mindless undead. This us not the case for Blackguards.

Dausuul

Legend
Just noticed that a Blackguard's rebuke undead is a nerfed verison of the clerics. In the Clerics verison the charm condition is permant if itsca mindless undead. This us not the case for Blackguards.

Speaking of Rebuke Undead... is anyone else wondering why it's called Rebuke Undead instead of Command Undead? In 3E it was Rebuke because the normal effect was to make the undead cower in awe, but this version is more like the old-school version where you actually gain control of the undead.

pemerton

Legend
Just noticed that a Blackguard's rebuke undead is a nerfed verison of the clerics. In the Clerics verison the charm condition is permant if itsca mindless undead.
Only at level 11+. I think those levels are still a work in progress (eg druids need forms above 9th level, if they're to keep up with Deadly Strike).

Also, blackguards are better at rebuking than clerics in one respect: 30 foot rather than 25 foot range.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I always thought the mental image associated with Rebuke Undead was kind of awesomely hilarious.

"NO! Bad skeleton! No! We do that on the GOBLINS, not on me." *whaps it with a newspaper* "GOB-LINS." *gestures emphatically* "Bad skeleton! The God of Death is VERY unhappy with you right now."

Remove ads