D&D 5E New D&D Next Packet Is Available

gyor

Legend
The Paladin's 5e CD is actually better then the 4e CD, except its daily resource instead of encounter. Actually making the 5e CD encounter based instead of so many times a day would be an improvement.

A Cavalier can use his CD to heal (Lay on hands), Smite, or turn undead, the Warden can do the same thing except he switches smite for Natures Wrath which deals damage and creates difficult terrain, and the Blackguard who can use his CD to Smite, Unlease his Dread Aspect, or Rebuke Undead.

All are useful, but the down side is you get 4 uses of CD max.

In practical terms the Paladin will get more use out of Deadly Strike as its at will, but almost everyone gets it and its flavourless, and thier Auras which are not a daily resource. Plus your mount at level 8.

Honestly I'd trade Deadly strike for something more flavourful and Paladinish, maybe something linked to your Oath.

Li Shenron

Legend
As for Channel Divinity and Spells the same, they're not. Spells comes from the universal nature of the Gods and are simular if more religious to wizard spells. Divine Spells aren't the raw essence of a God, its just tla gift from your God. Channel divinity is the raw essense of your God channeled through you, its a far more intimate experience. One does not cast Channel Divinity powers, and they do not suffer from the disadvantages of spells.

To me this difference in explanation is pointless. And the differences in mechanics are too small.

At least it would make more sense to keep them separate if channeling was at will, but would scale by level unlike cantrips so that it would not be minor effects.

Klaus

First Post
what do,s that mean. can you explain ?

Some nonweapon proficiencies handed out automatic success in tasks, because they weren't useful in adventures, while others altered your movement rate or the day, your healing rate or gave a chance to do something that didn't map to any other resolution system. Initiative was round-based, adding weapon speed, size modifiers, and other situational things, and you had to decide beforehand what you are going to do, without knowing who went before you.

I loved 2e back then, but I don't want to return to those days.

jhunton

First Post
Some nonweapon proficiencies handed out automatic success in tasks, because they weren't useful in adventures, while others altered your movement rate or the day, your healing rate or gave a chance to do something that didn't map to any other resolution system. Initiative was round-based, adding weapon speed, size modifiers, and other situational things, and you had to decide beforehand what you are going to do, without knowing who went before you.

I loved 2e back then, but I don't want to return to those days.

ok first nonweapon proficiencies where optional .and weapon speed and initiative optional .I still think they need a basic rules set thats as basic as BD&D red box just saying :cool:.

Cyberen

First Post
I LOVE most of the evolution found in the latest packet (provided it is an Expert/Advanced version of the rules) !
I think Mike&co have found the sweet spot concerning niche protection (aka class abilities) and generally available abilities. IMO, this use of feats is the most pertinent ever : opening new features for every character (in effect, you don't need a Thief to open locks ! you don't need a Cleric to heal !), without stealing the thunder of the classes (thanks to the class abilities and enhanced access to the appropriate feats, Fighters are the best at fighting, Thieves are the best at thievery, Healbots are the best at healing).
Fatigue based Expertise Dice for the fighter are thematically appropriate, fun to track (tokens to spend + dice as tokens), and quite simple (add a dice to a roll, under a thematically apropriate condition). It could be better IMHO : more fun (Riders ! Mechanics for spending more dice ! Recovery !) and more robust (+1d6 damage doesn't compare very well to +1 to-hit, especially under bouded accuracy). It's a VERY GOOD base for the fighter, and an iconic one too : ED have the flavour of 3.X Expertise and Power Attack feats (as you have to pick your enhancement, it is effectively a trade off), and of the Essentials stances.
I just hope WotC will come back to skills divorced from ability scores.

Remove ads