D&D 5E New D&D Next Packet Is Available

gyor

Legend
Looking at the Lance, they could explain better how the Mounted Keyword works. Honestly Lances seem useless to non Paladins, a Paladins Mount is tough enough to survive battle, has a okay attack when the Paladin can't charge an enemy, Lances are useless when one can't charge, good damage when they can and you can use a shield at the same time.

Actually in a basic attack, no deadly strike or powers or spells a Paladin with a Lance should deal what 1D12 +5 vs. Say a Bound Nightmare who does 2D6 +3 with a hoof attack and they get two hoof attacks or a 2d8 fire attack, with half damage on a miss. Summer Stag's even more brutal, with its gore multi attack and gore charge.

gyor

Legend
I noticed they made a mistake with the Paladin Dominion spells. At level 3 for both Cavaliers and Blackguards its dispel magic, but the Paladin already has Dispel Magic on its spell list and it doesn't say dominion spells are automatically prepared or anything so there is no benifit to it.

The Cavalier has it worse because he also has lesser restoration on his Domain Spell, which is already a Paladin Spell so he gains nothing. The Cavalier's domains spells suck except Commune.

Both the Warden and Blackguard has mostly good spell lists. At first level the Warden gets entangle which deals more damage when one sticks it in a higher level slot, and the Blackguard gets inflict wounds which is a swift action damage spell that can heal undead and does more damage or healing when stuck in a higher level slot. Blackguard also gets blight and dominate person which is cool. Blights better then inflict wounds when against plants or you can't make a normal attack for some reason. The Warden gets Bark Skin and Stone Skin which actually do different things. A Warden in Plate with Stone Skin cast in himself will be really tough against other warriors.

I think the Best Mount is the Summer Stag, followed by the Nightmare, and finally the Celestial Charger (although the charger has the best survive ability).

jhunton

First Post
WOW still don't see how this is going to bring in new players into the game. it,s not beginer frendly. and the power creep is at a galup.just say. :cool:

gyor

Legend
This isn't the basic verison they're doing its standard. And I don't see any power creep.

Truth be told it doesn't seem beginnar unfriendly at all. Its simplistic for the most part.

jhunton

First Post
This isn't the basic verison they're doing its standard. And I don't see any power creep.

Truth be told it doesn't seem beginnar unfriendly at all. Its simplistic for the most part.

yes it do,s seem to be simplistic if you have been playing for yaers. but if you never have played a RPG before then it,s a bit over welming I think. and it will not get new players involved in the hobby. and there has been a lost of players for year,s becouse there is no simple way to get into the game.other then some one you know who plays and is willing to teach you.a new player needs to pick it up like any other game and read the rules and play it in about 20 mins. :cool:

gyor

Legend
Its less complex then 3.x, 4e, Pathfinder, and possible 2e. When they've got the Standard verison done they'll do the basic verison.

Li Shenron

Legend

Its less complex then 3.x, 4e, Pathfinder, and possible 2e. When they've got the Standard verison done they'll do the basic verison.

It depends if you're looking at the in-game mechanics, at the character creation & advancement rules, or at the adventure design rules (including NPC and monsters creation or modification).

In terms of in-game mechanics (i.e. combat, exploration, task resolution...) it's definitely less complex than 3e. As a DM I really appreciate a simple game to run.

In terms of characters, it is more complex than 3e, tho not dramatically complex but just a bit. To the point that my former 3e co-gamers have given up 5e already during last summer, because they don't want to bother going back to studying a system in order to be able to play it well.

In terms of adventures, I don't know yet since I have run 5e only a few nights and haven't tried creating any original NPC/monsters or modify existing ones. But giving how much has been promised about keeping the DM's work simple at least as in 4e, I am positive about it.

jhunton

First Post

ok I will agree with 3e and 4e and pathfinder. but not 2e it was very to the point. and I for one would love to see the basic rules befor they go any ferther :cool:

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
I don't really see at first blush where they could simplify further without breaking stuff. Much better to make basic = standard, and then have an advanced come out a year later. Definitely will get tons of sales on that if the core rules are good. I like'm so far, I just rolled up a barbarian who dual wields a bastard sword and spiked shield, quite tough (ac 18 at level 1).

I think Weapon Mastery needs minimum level 9 and / or remove it entirely. Dual Wielding also kind of sucks. I need to take it to wield even one medium weapon with my light offhand weapon. That's even a feat tax over earlier editions, i.e. worse. I think not applying str mod to offhand attacks is enough, and re-instate the -2 / -2. That way, it's a real tradeoff, then maybe the level 9 feat could remove the offhand mod penalty, and another at level 11, to remove the -2 / -2, because at that point you're better off not dual wielding since you dpr will drop due to all your attacks being at -2. Having a flat -2 to all your attacks if you take the extra attack is worthwhile when you are, say, in my case, raging, since I have advantage on both. But I really dislike how the barbarian rage damage boost only applies to one attack, that doesn't scale elegantly with either dual wielding OR levelling up and getting extra attacks. I'd rather the bonus be less but apply to all your attacks, simpler math that way.

Also, the recommended specialty for barbarians is Reaper, which includes Combat Reflexes that adds an extra reaction, but since you get more and more rages per day, there's negative synergy there, since you can't use your reaction at all while raging. Same with lots of other feats that should work while raging. Or at least remove it from the recommended list for the barbarian, it's a trap choice that benefits you less and less. If I were a DM, I'd house rule that feat to allow the bonus reaction to be usable even while raging.

I really dislike that you can't dual wield two larger weapons. Since attack bonuses are very hard to come by, -2 / -2 is the simplest thing to implement. Then when I decide, do I dual wield or not, I really have to think long and hard about whether it's worth it. Right now it's quite good to use a handaxe + spiked shield. I mean, using standard 15 15 15 8 8 8 at level 1 I have 15 HP, 18 AC, and kick ass at a bunch of things. I just wish Weapon Mastery weren't in the mix for feat selection, because it IS OP, compared to all the other situational modifiers. I'd rather take Hide in Shadows at level 3, or maybe Track, than have to shrug and say, yeah, I need Weapon Mastery. It's actually better for my guy, mathematically speaking, to skip on using a bastard sword in his main hand via the Dual Wielding feat, to use a handaxe + shield and take weapon mastery instead. That sux. Every single combat focused specialty has Weapon Mastery. It's DDN version of Weapon Expertise or Dwarven Weapon Training or white lotus whatevers. I'm a power gamer who doesn't want these "I must...take...this...feat...or comparatively I will suck". Feats should allow you to do cool new stuff, not a flat out re-roll on all damage rolls. That one feat gives you more of a damage boost than ALL the rage damage boosts. And barbarians are supposed to be damage monsters, that to me is a design flaw.

Klaus

First Post
ok I will agree with 3e and 4e and pathfinder. but not 2e it was very to the point. and I for one would love to see the basic rules befor they go any ferther :cool:

I was just re-reading the 2e Player's Handbook, and damn, that thing was complex! The myriad modifiers and micro-systems made my head hurt!

Remove ads