D&D 5E New D&D Next Playtest Packet Is Here!

Blackwarder

Adventurer
No. I can also come up with adventure flow and even with my own rules. But what does it have to do with playtest material?

If I look at painting and say 'I would put this into my bedroom, but artist really draws ugly faces' is your reaction 'what, cannot you repaint face on top of his painting?' ?

I'm saying that things presented in playtest adventure, are, in my opinion, huge step back from quality of combat encounters from 4th edition, which is a kind of disappointing giving promising developments in other areas.

Examples of proper answers:
-I don't like grid-based combat
-Too many monster types are too complicated to handle, so it is easier to manage combat and flavor descriptions of combat with single monster type
-Rules are too poor to make interesting monsters
-In podcast XYZ they said they are sorry about that and will update it with a lot more interesting encounters
etc
Answer like "fix it by yourself and if you don't want to it means you lack imagination" is not what I expected. Maybe I should, it is internet after all..

I was I was about to post a point by point answer your post but then I realized that most of your complaints would probably be addressed by future tactical, or narrative combat module.

As it is, use your own imagination, last playtest we didn't had any special terrain or things like that in the advanture and my players still managed to get extremely interesting fight, more interesting than what we had in our regular 4e games.

Warder

Mercutio01

First Post
No. I can also come up with adventure flow and even with my own rules. But what does it have to do with playtest material?

If I look at painting and say 'I would put this into my bedroom, but artist really draws ugly faces' is your reaction 'what, cannot you repaint face on top of his painting?' ?

I'm saying that things presented in playtest adventure, are, in my opinion, huge step back from quality of combat encounters from 4th edition, which is a kind of disappointing giving promising developments in other areas.

Examples of proper answers:
-I don't like grid-based combat
-Too many monster types are too complicated to handle, so it is easier to manage combat and flavor descriptions of combat with single monster type
-Rules are too poor to make interesting monsters
-In podcast XYZ they said they are sorry about that and will update it with a lot more interesting encounters
etc
Answer like "fix it by yourself and if you don't want to it means you lack imagination" is not what I expected. Maybe I should, it is internet after all..
Or, maybe, it could be, as other people have said in response to you directly, but you seem completely unwilling to accept, that the designers don't want feedback on adventure design just yet, and are instead focused on character creation?

You know, as in that's what the playtest material said?

Frankly, I don't care at all about the adventure (I didn't in the first one, either, since the playtest is not anywhere near the stage of beginning to work on adventure creation) as it's plainly clear that the designers first wanted to nail down the core system (they tweaked some based on that feedback and had some of that in the second iteration), and are now working on character creation. And, since the focus is not yet on monster or adventure creation, why in the heck would they put energy into that aspect of design when they're still working on the basics?

EDITED TO ADD: The whole process is expected to take 2 years, and adventure creation is surely a late-stage mechanic to develop, is it not? I would expect playtests to focus on that aspect sometime in the middle of next year.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases