WotC New D&D survey from WotC

Dausuul

Legend
Looks like they are very interested in getting a handle on the overlap of their Magic and D&D audiences. Not surprising, what with the Magic setting books and the imminent Forgotten Realms Magic expansion.

It's also interesting that they want to know how we think the respective brands are doing: Do we feel that Magic is going up or headed down, and do we feel that D&D is going up or headed down? I presume WotC has plenty of data to tell them what is actually happening with their brands, so what they want to know is our perception of them. I'm... not sure what they would do with that information.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I have never played MtG, so all my questions quickly became all about D&D in general and D&D 5E specifically. Mostly questions about if I thought it was popular and why.

Jaeger

That someone better
Looks like they are very interested in getting a handle on the overlap of their Magic and D&D audiences. Not surprising, what with the Magic setting books and the imminent Forgotten Realms Magic expansion.

While there is overlap, IMHO there is not the level of fanboy overlap that they can bank on moving large numbers of players to either game. with setting* books or card editions. They are very different games with very different play experiences.

Like the overlap between MMORPG players and table top players. 4e showed that the overlap was not enough to change the nomenclature used in the table top game and not alienate a strong contingent of longtime players. Again, MMORPG's and traditional RPG's give very different play experiences.

I'm sure they would love to build "strong synergies" between the player bases of Magic and D&D. But they also need to take into account that the two games do two fundamentally very different things.

*Edit - I highly doubt any of the MTG settings published for 5e are being regularly played in anything resembling meaningful numbers.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is a werd question -- "Do you feel Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) is on its way up and growing in strength, holding its ground and pretty consistent, or on its way down and losing momentum?"

Does it mean like market share? I assume they know better than we do.

Remove ads