• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New D&D WotC survey asks if you read ENWORLD!

Wildemount started as a homebrew setting, so maybe co-publishing other current popular settings like that.

Aren't most published worlds originally someone's homebrew? I feel like the difference is whether you're making an Eberron book with a bunch of lore or a more setting agnostic book like Xanathar's. I'd rather have more options and tools for my homebrew than a big book of Wildemount lore that I won't ever reference.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
They’re clearly trying to form a picture of who among their enormous fan base is actually buying stuff, and what they’re buying. As I tend to be judicious with my D&D spending, I imagine what they’re likely to get from me is just that I’m not the sort of player worth catering too. Which is unfortunate, but understandable.

One thing I found very interesting was how they differentiated between homebrew made from scratch and homebrew adapted from published material. At a guess, I’d say they’re trying to figure out if home brewers are a viable market - are they likely to buy setting books and/or books of mechanical options to mine for ideas, or will they ignore such products because they’re set with what they’ve made themselves?

One thing I found very interesting was how they differentiated between homebrew made from scratch and homebrew adapted from published material. At a guess, I’d say they’re trying to figure out if home brewers are a viable market - are they likely to buy setting books and/or books of mechanical options to mine for ideas, or will they ignore such products because they’re set with what they’ve made themselves?
Yes. I wondered about that. Thing is I'm not likely to convert setting material for a homebrew setting (which seemed to be what they are gesturing at) - I'm much more likely to loot adventure material (although they'd have to do something much different than the adventure paths they put out for me to use it).

But that depends on what setting material they put out. As long as most of it is critical role stuff or adaptations of Magic stuff, I'm not likely to bother. I'd also want a much higher quantity of actually usable stuff - (most WOTC material seems to be just piles and piles of words to skim over with little usable content).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yes. I wondered about that. Thing is I'm not likely to convert setting material for a homebrew setting (which seemed to be what they are gesturing at) - I'm much more likely to loot adventure material (although they'd have to do something much different than the adventure paths they put out for me to use it).

But that depends on what setting material they put out. As long as most of it is critical role stuff or adaptations of Magic stuff, I'm not likely to bother. I'd also want a much higher quantity of actually usable stuff - (most WOTC material seems to be just piles and piles of words to skim over with little usable content).
Well, they did ask for each of the APs if I had run it it as-written and if I had run a modified or homebrew version of it. So they’re at least thinking about homebrewers adapting their APs.

It would depend on how they did it. General advice, such as what is in the DMG, I don't find very useful. Something with modular plug in hard rules I might consider.

Although, I tend to take an existing setting and mod it to be more to my taste, rather than create a setting from scratch.
The Galactic Campaign Guide from Star Wars D20 was a fantastic little sourcebook which just listed basic locations: night clubs, hospitals, hangar bays, with rules, maps and plot hooks. You also had 100 adventure ideas and over a dozen campaign ideas, and a list of pregenerated generic supporting characters. It was basically full of building blocks that GMs could play with and build their universe.

Remove ads