• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New DM Help

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Difference is Mass cure wounds was clearly intended to work with this ability whereas goodberry was not. So yes, mass cure wounds adds the extra 2+spell level per creature cured and goodberry adds 2+level to each creature cured too, once not 10 times (that's still a pretty big boost from what I stated earlier but it does track with the reading of the ability). As for yuck, well if you start mixing different mechanics (as you are doing here) be prepared for a bit of ickiness.
Okay, how would you work it for Aura of Vitality, then? A multiclassed Cleric of Life/Paladin isn't a horrible theme, after all.

Point is, the use for goodberry is how that ability functions -- they are playing the game according to the rules. You not liking it (or even me not liking it) doesn't mean that it's not correctly used. Changing it at this point is intentionally nerfing an ability away from the RAW of how it works. That's something a DM should be careful about doing mid-game, if ever. And this usage can be worked around through pacing and encounter planning, so it's not something that needs immediate nerfing, just adjustment.

For the record, I nix this usage in my games and go with the 'extra berries made' option rather than the 'super berries' option. But I do that up front.

It's not out of combat healing though. Sure an action lost in combat is not worth it for 1HP a pop but for 4 (or more) a pop, it's absolutely worth it - especially at low level!

Next, assuming the group can heal to full HP with minimal resource loss without a full rest is a BIG departure and a radical change. Sure you can account for it, but why should a 1st level spell force the issue?
It is, because 4 hp mid combat for an action isn't something that's worrisome, even at low levels. And hp are just one, and in my opinion not the most important, resource PCs have. If they've found a way to get healed more often (or almost always) between fights, that's fine, hp are something I, as DM, are very good at depleting. Heck, a quick counter to this is to up all monster hp to 3/4 max instead of going with average -- the fights last an extra turn or two longer, I burn out more hp, and likely more non-hp resources.
[MENTION=6898235]DragonKnight88[/MENTION]
To me the main thing going on with this party is that they are well optimized as a party and as characters, and that breaks the default assumptions in encounter building. My group does this as well, and I usually offset it in two ways -- assume the party is 1-2 levels higher for all encounter balancing AND focus on not using singles or doubles in encounters. The action economy, especially with nova classes (pally and mystic) hugely favor this party against small numbers of big enemies, but work against the same party for large numbers of relatively weaker enemies. Focus on providing more lower CR, high number encounters in planning and you'll get more out of them against this party.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Okay, how would you work it for Aura of Vitality, then? A multiclassed Cleric of Life/Paladin isn't a horrible theme, after all....

You know, you're right.

First, it's not really abusive so much as a bit eye rolling.

Second, it's a life cleric, may as well go with the concept.

And third, I thought about what I would actually say if a player in my group asked. And I think I would go with it.

Still think it's more than a bit cheesy but why not roll with it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

Remove ads