D&D 5E New DM looking for help!

hillgobs

Villager
Hello everyone! I'm not sure if this is the right subreddit, but I need some help! For the last 2.5 years, I've been playing Call of Cthulhu with my friends and absolutely love it!
So I wanted to start doing something with my husband's family, but I don't think CoC is gonna be their jam. My husband has minimal experience with CoCn I have minimal experience playing D&D and my SIL and MIL have never played a table top RPG before. I figured before I start buying books and graph paper and helping them build characters, I would make some basic characters and find a small, one- shot campaign to start them off with. Sort of a trial run, to see if they even like this type of thing to begin with before I start spending money.fedloan|irs.gov|easybib

Are there any resources online I should check out? Is my plan of attack for this a good one? Honestly open to any advice or ideas you guys have!
Thanks!!!

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Sort of a trial run, to see if they even like this type of thing to begin with before I start spending money.
This is exactly what the Starter Set and Essentials Kit are designed for. It's literally "D&D in a box!" and comes with rulebook, dice, pre-gen characters and a decent adventure.

Don't worry about getting any of the core books until you've tried one of those starter sets out!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Hello everyone! I'm not sure if this is the right subreddit, but I need some help! For the last 2.5 years, I've been playing Call of Cthulhu with my friends and absolutely love it!
So I wanted to start doing something with my husband's family, but I don't think CoC is gonna be their jam. My husband has minimal experience with CoCn I have minimal experience playing D&D and my SIL and MIL have never played a table top RPG before. I figured before I start buying books and graph paper and helping them build characters, I would make some basic characters and find a small, one- shot campaign to start them off with. Sort of a trial run, to see if they even like this type of thing to begin with before I start spending money.
Are there any resources online I should check out? Is my plan of attack for this a good one? Honestly open to any advice or ideas you guys have!
Thanks!!!
It is an excellent plan of attack. In my opinion, there is no better way to introduce someone to D&D that with some pregenerated characters and a one-shot. As people have mentioned, the Starter Set and the Essentials Box are two products designed specifically for this purpose. I haven’t gotten the Essentials Box, so I can’t comment on it, but I have heard good things about it. I have used the Starter Set and it is excellent.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases