• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New DM question

Hello, has anyone here had any problems balancing what all items, spells, and abilities that should be able to stack? We recently encountered this problem in our group with one of the characters being able to give himself a godlike AC. All thoughts are welcome.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

I have yet to have such a problem in the campeign I dm- I am very careful in every magic item in every module- and keep a running chart of every item encountered and its current location.

Perhaps you could offer specifics on your situation and we can figure out if there are any problems with the player stacking bonus types they should not be stacking.

FD

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

Some bonuses do stack

The armor bonus of a shield and the armor bonus of armor stacks.

Circumstance bonuses stack when they come from different csources.

IIRC- deflection bonuses stack if they come from different sources.

FD

trentonjoe

Explorer
Furn_Darkside said:
IIRC- deflection bonuses stack if they come from different sources.

FD [/B]

Is that right?

Shield of Faith provides a deflecion bonus as does a ring of protection. Do they stack with each other?

I hadn't been playing that way.

trentonjoe said:

Is that right?

Shield of Faith provides a deflecion bonus as does a ring of protection. Do they stack with each other?

I hadn't been playing that way.

I'd say those cannot stack as they are the same kind of bonus(deflection). My major gripe is that there seems to be a whole bunch of other bonuses that can inflate the stack total.

Crothian

First Post
I don't let Deflection bonuses stack, they are pretty common. DMG seems to agree with me. It doesn't say anything about different sources stacking, at least not on page177 where it talks about these bonuses.

trentonjoe

Explorer
Crothian said:
I don't let Deflection bonuses stack, they are pretty common. DMG seems to agree with me. It doesn't say anything about different sources stacking, at least not on page177 where it talks about these bonuses.

That's what I thought.

Someone had a chart on stacking but with the search function disabled and no access to the old boards we will just have to wait.

One of the "core" bonus stack. Is it luck?

trentonjoe

Explorer
Dinaire Folsteen said:

My major gripe is that there seems to be a whole bunch of other bonuses that can inflate the stack total.

Can you post an example? I have found that most of my guys complain about how "low" their AC is. At 10th level I would say the average AC is probably 22 ish. I can think of one wizard that can get it into the 30's but he is the only one of about 15 characters that can get it that high consistently.

On second thought, their is monk that can get it in the 30's to with full defense.

That's it.

Crothian

First Post
trentonjoe said:

That's what I thought.

Someone had a chart on stacking but with the search function disabled and no access to the old boards we will just have to wait.

One of the "core" bonus stack. Is it luck?

Dodge does, I know that. Let me look at the chart again.

"Different named bonus types all stack, but usually named bonus does not stack with another bonus of the same name (except for enhancement bonuses to armor and shields, enhancement bonuses to ranged weapons and their ammunition, dodge bonuses, synergy bonuses, and some circumstance bonuses)."

Directly from the pages of the DMG. Hope that quote helps.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads