• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Introducing the Magical Farmer The Agriculturlaist

Does this have enough to be its own class?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Other Option (explain in comments)

Votes: 1 12.5%

Jaiken

Explorer
Hello everyone, I am finished with my magical farmer the Agriculturalist class.

Backstory to the class.
In every realm and group of races exists those that tend to the nurture and well being of the communities. Inns, Taverns and even Kingdoms rely on livestock and crops to feed their constituents. Someone has to tend to keeping the societies well fed so they continue functioning. In order to cripple these areas raiders and bandits attack, commit arson and ransack the farmlands. This would ensure that their enemies would be too hungry and malnourished to fight back. Sometimes, the attack on the farmlands is successful while other times it is not. Farmers who are courageous enough to defend their livelihood and land become proficient with weapons, armor and magic. These group of farmers are called Agriculturalists.

Agriculturalists learn martial combat with traditional melee weapons. They learn magic through repetitious use and favor cantrips and spells that help them deal with invaders, pests and whatever can make their farming lives easier. Agriculturalists tend to train other Agriculturalists and form guilds of farmers who protect what is theirs.

Not all Agriculturalists stay stationary. Sometimes they need to deal with the rampaging Orcs, raiding Goblins or maybe even Vampires that threaten their town and homeland. Adventurers are not always around and even so might require huge payment for dealing with local problems. Maybe money is tight and debts need to be paid off. Or maybe the Agriculturalist does not want to pay for overly priced seeds and fertilizer and sets out to attain them another way.

Agriculturalists may be able to cast spells but they don’t recognize everything remotely magical. They are able to cast spells through their connection to the Seasons granted to them by the Harvest Moon. Casting spells through spell book is too expensive and there is no time to study the arcane. They also tend to get into tussles with the local Druid over fights of how nature should be treated. Regardless, they tend to make friends with the locals and townsfolk in the area.

Here is a link to the class.

Feedback welcome
Edit: Changes made to the class:
Got rid of Horseshoe throwing and made Lasso a Shepherd feature.-
Heavy armor is no longer a proficiency for the Agriculturalist.
Got rid of powerful magic spells that do not fit for the class.
Cultivate land now covers 10ft in all directions from the Agriculturalist and can be used to create half cover.
Changed the Harvester subclass to focus on planting magic spells as traps using magic seeds. The subclass can also turn normal terrain into difficult terrain that can be destroyed by fire, magic fire and slashing weapons.
Added the Beekeeper subclass that focuses on honey and bees and uses them in combat.
Added the Hatcheree subclass that has special features in the water and can use cultivate land to create 15ft deep water spaces.
Got rid of cantrips.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Interesting stuff. I feel like Lasso and Horseshoe should be subclass abilities, though, and I don't think you indicated what the Horseshoe damage is. Maybe increase as you level.

I'm not sure how it balances, but if a player brought that to me I would let them play it.

Jaiken

Explorer
Interesting stuff. I feel like Lasso and Horseshoe should be subclass abilities, though, and I don't think you indicated what the Horseshoe damage is. Maybe increase as you level.

I'm not sure how it balances, but if a player brought that to me I would let them play it.
I updated the Agriculturalist class and would like some feedback.

Jaiken

Explorer
I will take a look when I get a chance.
The changes I made:
Four seasons winter ability reduces damage taken by wisdom modifier.
Four seasons is a level 1 feature alongside farming tools being an arcane focus.

Cultivate land is now a 2nd level ability where the area effected is a 5ft cone shape.

Extra attack is at 5th level for the whole class and not just the shepherd subclass

Lasso is a level 3 subclass ability for Sheperds. Horseshoe throwing is now a bonus action that deals 1d4 magical damage to the target and knocks them prone on a natural critical attack roll.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
I like the idea, but overall it's kinda to narrow,
maybe this could function as a druid and/or ranged maybe barbarian subclass.
so features maybe even as a feat.

As far as class goes, scarecrow if great,
maybe range of teleport could be from anywhere on the plane even with other creaturers and you could have a number of scarecrows equal to proficiency bonus.

that way you could have a network of teleports available

Jaiken

Explorer
I like the idea, but overall it's kinda to narrow,
maybe this could function as a druid and/or ranged maybe barbarian subclass.
so features maybe even as a feat.

As far as class goes, scarecrow if great,
maybe range of teleport could be from anywhere on the plane even with other creaturers and you could have a number of scarecrows equal to proficiency bonus.

that way you could have a network of teleports available
Thanks for your input. I am really trying to make this a class that stands out on its own. Barbarian would be an interesting subclass choice and I will keep the Scarecrow idea in mind after some play testing.

Clint_L

Legend
This is definitely not my class fantasy, but I think the concept is very cool, and love the way you have used the seasons as a way of determining subclass, in effect.

I have some concerns about balance. Why do they start with medium and heavy armour proficiency, for example? They're farmers. And I would say that you have cherry-picked a spell list that is less about theme and more about giving them access to a lot of the best spells. I do think the class is a bit OP.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads