• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New DM's Kit? Anybody?

Korgoth

First Post
I'm still amazed that they didn't put in rules for trap design (I understand monster design will be in the Monster Vault). I'm not paying $40 for something that merely regurgitates the $20 Rules Compendium I already own.

Unless you don't have the PHB1 (for the magic items... if you even actually need them), I can't see the purpose in buying this. It's called the DM's Kit and yet it's not actually a "kit".

captainspud

First Post
It's called the DM's Kit and yet it's not actually a "kit".
Err, you're kind of arguing a weird point there. The definition of "kit" is:
kit

1   noun, verb, kit·ted, kit·ting.
–noun 1. a set or collection of tools, supplies, instructional matter, etc., for a specific purpose: a first-aid kit; a sales kit.
...and the DM's kit most definitely fits that description. It's a collection of tools and supplies (maps and tokens) as well as instructional matter (DM's book) for the purpose of DMing.

Being a "kit" does not mean that the set is necessarily 100% comprehensive and all you'll ever need-- hence the common term "Starter Kit".

I share your disappointment at some of the missing passages, but the point you chose to argue is a little strange.

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
Helping new players was only supposed to be half the reason for Essentials. I was given the impression that Essentials are also supposed to be an updated version of the old rules so they don't have to reprint the core books.

I decided to buy the kit for the tokens though. Can anyone elaborate on those?

The tokens are moderately thick...not exceptionally...but workable. They are easy to punch out...and there's a HECK OF A LOT of them. They have one for most race/class combinations in essentials, or at least ones that could work, two large square pit trap tokens, some larger monster tokens, and a many character/monster tokens. By character/monster tokens I mean tokens that could actually be used to mark a character race or character, but is for an enemy representation instead. About half are for the monsters with 2/3 being for monster and enemies (estimate, I already tore mine out and have them bagged, so from memory). I believe an entire sheet is devoted to character tokens...several action point tokens are included.

That's a short summary, hope that helps a little.

Korgoth

First Post
Err, you're kind of arguing a weird point there. The definition of "kit" is:
...and the DM's kit most definitely fits that description. It's a collection of tools and supplies (maps and tokens) as well as instructional matter (DM's book) for the purpose of DMing.

Being a "kit" does not mean that the set is necessarily 100% comprehensive and all you'll ever need-- hence the common term "Starter Kit".

I share your disappointment at some of the missing passages, but the point you chose to argue is a little strange.

What tools does it actually contain? The DM's book is just "Rules Compendium Lite". If you already bought the RC for half the price, the thing that costs twice the price has almost nothing to offer you. You're basically paying $40 for tokens, an adventure and a screen.

AngryMojo

First Post
What tools does it actually contain? The DM's book is just "Rules Compendium Lite". If you already bought the RC for half the price, the thing that costs twice the price has almost nothing to offer you. You're basically paying $40 for tokens, an adventure and a screen.

The tokens, map, adventure and DM screen are all tools.

Korgoth

First Post
The tokens, map, adventure and DM screen are all tools.

Fair enough. I guess it depends partly on how you see the product. My thought is "Buy this awesome book and get some cool extras!" rather than "Buy these cardboard bits and we'll even throw in a useless book!"

By "kit" I guess I was hoping that they meant "the crunch out of DMG1 and DMG2, plus extra stuff".

captainspud

First Post
By "kit" I guess I was hoping that they meant "the crunch out of DMG1 and DMG2, plus extra stuff".
I can't even begin to figure out why the word "kit" was giving you that impression. A kit is a pile of useful objects. It has no bearing whatsoever on the quality or contents of those materials.

AngryMojo

First Post
Fair enough. I guess it depends partly on how you see the product. My thought is "Buy this awesome book and get some cool extras!" rather than "Buy these cardboard bits and we'll even throw in a useless book!"

The big question is, what rules are in the book? If it's all the rules a DM needs, and this is the only product you need to DM a game, I'd think it would be amazing as a DM starter kit.

WotC has said many times that long-term DMs won't get much out of the DM's kit, so I won't judge it based on how much I'll use it now. I'll judge it based on how much I would have used it when I started.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I guess it depends partly on how you see the product. My thought is "Buy this awesome book and get some cool extras!" rather than "Buy these cardboard bits and we'll even throw in a useless book!"

For someone completely new to the game, those cardboard bits are going to be just as important -- if not moreso -- than the book. 4e is not a game that can really be played effectively without some sort of representational board. New DM's need this stuff. Rules for traps (especially in 4e) aren't as essential as a cardboard token and a map.

Admittedly, that does drive up the cost of "things you need." A DM needs to pick up the kit, AND the Monster Vault, and maybe the RC, if they're going to do much.

FWIW, I wouldn't be surprised if traps and hazards are in the Monster Vault, since they are, basically, monsters.

I'd say this fulfills the goal of an introductory DM product, though, in the same way the Red Box fulfills the goal of an introductory player product.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads