• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Druid Build....Now with the Magician!

Aus_Snow

First Post
Raven Crowking said:
Hey, Aus Snow,

Did you ever get a chance to see the pdf?
Yikes, sorry about that. :eek: I think it was something to do with ENWorld dying, and some other stuff at the time (me forgetting to reply about this, that is).

Unfortunately (well, arguably so :D) I haven't got much to say about the class variant after all that. Reason being, 'variant' is stretching it rather much. By which I mean that your Druid and Magician make much use of a whole array of house rules and campaign assumptions with which I am unfamiliar. This makes it very difficult for me to know how things a) make perfect sense for your campaign world, or b) balance out with one another, or with RAW canon. . . or with anything else actually.

This is not a criticism at all, just a statement of my inability to provide useful feedback, and the reason why.

Hm, well at least I finally replied, I guess. :heh:

Greetings and well met!

Forgive me if I missed this question already
I suppose that’s a good sign of the successes of your Druid idea

Yet my question is this and granted a Druid historically is a
(Priest of the Forest) and the English Mythical Merlin was a mix of Druid and Wizard

My idea would be just merge the classes and call her/him a
(Druid) with no Sub/Multi class Mage titels

In other words a Druid in your Realm would normally be seen with (some) powers of a Mage and not be seen/called differently....just a Druid

Last edited:

Thia Halmades

First Post
Blessed be. Word.

I apologize in advance, but I honestly have no idea what you're asking. I'm not the author or the authority, but I'm just... confused as to what you're getting at. I see part of the argument in regards to Merlin, who really was more of a 'diviner' than any sort of 'wizard' if you've read your Morte D'Arthur, and Morgana used the power of Illusion rather well, which brought about Modred by conning Arthur into bedding her.

In regards to multi-classing, I think the idea here is to develop a core class that goes with the build the author intended for the campaign setting. Admittedly, the Druid is extremly well researched and much better in design than the current 3.5 army summoning wild shaping edition that now exists.

I think you may be confused over the two builds; there's a separate build for both Druid & magician.

Thia Halmades
I apologize in advance, but I honestly have no idea what you're asking. I'm not the author or the authority, but I'm just... confused as to what you're getting at

Well Im glad to clear things up.
But before we get to the heart of the matter, lets go over some of your own post.

Thia Halmades
I see part of the argument in regards to Merlin.........if you've read your Morte D'Arthur.....
.....which brought about Modred by conning Arthur into bedding her.

Well your Morte D'Arthur.....Sounds like you are recommending real book on the matter is it?
Or were you just being eloquent in your post?

In any case I did find it humorous that you showed us your deep understanding of Arthuren legends on how Arthur was tricked into bedding a woman. ;)
All the long history of the legends of English history yet its the romantic side that stands out to some.
Yet it seem to lighten the mood as it would be never the less back to your question

Thia Halmades
think you may be confused over the two builds; there's a separate build for both Druid & magician.

Yes I know!
Or from what I read i think i do :uhoh:
The Druid can Multi into a Mage right?

Thats the title of this place......

((New Druid Build....Now with the Magician))

If so .....
My point was it seems to create more clutter in character building
“Splitting of hairs” if you will.

Why not just say and I believe truthfully that a Druid would have (some types) mage power anyway
Just like when a Druid heals or shape changes.
Granted the power would come from (Nature/Forest) for a Driud
Not Mana or Arcane power like a Wizard.

It’s a bonus I agree for the Druid but I wouldn’t see the need to add a title like Magician.

Basically call it a Druid with no new titles

As far as a Druid having a Mage book, maybe something more druids like
Perhaps several (Runes) or other symbols that she reads from to give her the knowledge needed.

Now if Druid cant Multu class into a mage or visa versa....ummm D'oh

PS I have changed my post above to better reflect my point
It may have been a bit long winded as some of my IN Char posts are well known for :lol:

Last edited:

Raven Crowking
Yes, a druid can multiclass into magician or vice versa. Both are, however, different classes with different spell lists and different powers.......

Given the extremely low-magic (in the spellcasting sense, at least) nature of Mallory's work, and your reference to the mythological Merlin, you can hardly fault Thia for using one of the few clear examples available of what such a beings powers would be.

Thank you for the info I was hoping you would pop up
This is your Realm and so like many others of the sameway the Multi classing will go on ....I happily offer my point that a Druid would never need a Mage class for her/his power would be equal to a mage with many of the same types of spells. Just from a diffrent source ....Also Thia did a grand job on her refrences like I said I enjoyed it
:cool:

Thia Halmades

First Post
And now I've been relegated to a 'her.' *sob* I'll support RC on this, indeed, welcome to ENWorld. I think I was new here all of two weeks ago, I don't tend to think about it, but I hope you enjoy your stay in the asylum.

I brought up the Morte D'Arthur because there's an astonishing misconception as to the nature of Merlin and why there was such a thing as a 'low magic' setting. Specifically because with one spell and one night, Morgana toppled an entire kingdom, which is pretty drastic. Most people don't practice that sort of subtlety, so they work more towards attempting to balance high fantasy.

I was thinking of adapting the Common/Uncommon/Rare (I forget the exact terminology) from Monte Cook's material to keep low-magic/weaker magic available, make uncommon magic worth more, and of course forcing people to blow a feat to purchase a whole uber rare spell.

RC, is that in Eldritch Might or Arca. Unearthed?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads