• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Druid Spell - Rapid Growth

mwnrnc

First Post
I'm working on a new spell for 3.5 for druids (and possibly rangers). Something like what is below:

Rapid Growth
Transmutation
Level: Drd 2
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft. / 2 levels)
Target(s): Up to five plants, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You channel positive energy into the target plant(s), causing them to grow very swiftly as if time were passing more quickly. The plants grow as they would naturally in the environment in which they are located when the spell is cast. However, they are not subject to parasites, disease, or other environmental effects. Each round of concentration is equivalent to 3 months of growth for the target plant(s).

For every two caster levels beyond 3rd, you can affect an additional plant - two at 5th level, three at 7th level, four at 9th level, five at 11th level. However, the single spell covers all plants that are being affected. You cannot stop some affected plants from growing while allowing others to continue. If your concentration is broken, all affected plants cease growing.

This spell has no effect on plant creatures and affects non-magical plants only. Rapidly growing many plants in a short time exhausts the soil and prevents further plants from growing.

Some potential uses I can foresee: magically growing a sprout into a food-yielding plant, placing an acorn in an open field and growing a tree for an archer to snipe from, causing ivy to grow up along a castle wall for easy climbing.

To limit abuse (i.e. farming poisonous or magically-useful plant components), I'd rule that rapidly aging a plant for harvest over and over is a violation of druid code, plus there could be other in-world complications and consequences.

Is this a second level spell, or should it be higher or lower? Could this effect be considered a corner case of the extant Plant Growth spell and be folded into that? Any other suggestions?

Dozen

First Post
As it stands, it looks like a superior, tough more precise, version of Plant Growth. Protecting a small group of plants from any ailment and growing them at the same time is both more useful and, from a roleplaying standpoint, sounds more challenging than simply growing a bigger group of plants, even if the latter is instantaneous. I'm not saying it can't be second level, but we should check the background first. How do you justify the spell level? Does the use of life energy make the task somehow easier than the alternative? If so, why doesn't Plant Growth employ your method instead of wasting resources on Transmutation?

On another note, shouldn't this go to the Homebrew forum?

Last edited:

Remove ads