D&D (2024) (+) New Edition Changes for Inclusivity (discuss possibilities)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remathilis

Legend
I've been considering that species give only a few core traits: size, speed, senses, and a single racial trait like poison immunity fey ancestry or lucky. Other elements come from a package that any race can take, like Urban, Mountain-born, Forester, Shadow-touched, Underdark, etc that grant proficiencies, languages, and other traits like stealthy, innate magic, or such. Other abilities can be shunted to feats ala Pathfinder.

Hussar

Legend
That is fair.

Out of interest - what class could we apply to Native Americans (north, meso and south) or for that matter the African tribes (mid and south) or the native Australasians? An answer could be - that the class has not been created as yet.

Considering that D&D is set in a medieval setting, why would you expect classes to map on settings that are distinctly not-medieval? I mean, what classes would modern French come under?

I would say, "Classes and setting that has not been created yet for 5e" (I believe that there are setting books for d20 set in those settings).

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I have no problem with the class as it stands. The raging Barbarian archetype is a pretty clear one in fantasy fiction - Conan, Khal Drogo, Fafhrd, Red Sonja, Logen Nine-fingers, Ghengis Cohen (shoft lavatory paper), He-man, heroquest, etc etc.

Virtually none of those "barabarians" are raging beserkers that the D&D class actually models.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
"Master" as a word may have been used in slavery for the person who owns the slaves, but that isn't a compelling argument for me to change it. Master has many different meanings, is used mainly as a descriptor of someone who is an expert at a certain skill-set in D&D, and I don't think we should change it.

Right, the word "master" has been used in many different contexts. I doubt anyone has ever had a problem with the term "master of ceremonies". ;)

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Considering that D&D is set in a medieval setting, why would you expect classes to map on settings that are distinctly not-medieval? I mean, what classes would modern French come under?

Yeah, I'd say that that's a big nope. D&D hasn't been limited to medieval fantasy for a very long time, and it has strained against that restriction from at least 1e. Furthermore, D&D should strive to cover more fantasy more cultures just on the basis of world building (something many of us love to do) if for no other more lofty reason.

I have not read through this entire thread, so forgive me if I repeat things others have already said.

I am mostly familiar with the Forgotten Realms setting (though I am a Critical Role fan, too), so my thoughts will mostly be directed at Toril. My thoughts will also mostly concern lore, as, while I am very much invested in the setting and D&D, I've only actually played a few times, so I can't weigh in that much on any mechanical aspects.

With regards to orcs and drow at least, in the Forgotten Realms, actually already have an example of goodly drow and orcs. Eilistraee, the daughter of Corellon and Araunshnee/Lolth, has been present in the lore for a long time (I believe she was introduced in '91). She has been providing an alternate path for the drow for centuries. Likewise, Vhaeraun, her brother while "evil", is still a better choice than Lolth.

In 4e, WotC killed them off, because they wanted Drizzt to be the "one special drow". Kind of shot themselves in the foot there. Eilistraee and Vhaeraun were returned in 5e (having it be revealed that they in fact never died, but instead were held in stasis in the Weave for a time). Her followers were mentioned in Ed Greenwood's Death Masks, and she and Vhaeraun are in fact allied now.

There are also the Ondthi orcs, who I myself only recently learned of, but they have been around since 2e. These were goodly orcs who follow the deity Eldath. Unfortunately, they've been largely ignored, as have Eilistraee and Vhaeraun, even though they've been returned. I think if WotC/Hasbro looked to established lore, rather than changing everything, it would at least give them a start (at least in this area). I hate Lolth, but I wouldn't necessarily want her or Gruumsh to be killed (there was enough deity death in 4e). But she could be reduced in power, as more drow turn away from her and towards Eilistraee and/or Vhaeraun. This would bring back lore that has been around for years but brushed aside, and reduce the risk of more retcons.

I'm all about diversity and inclusivity. I just wouldn't want the "culture" of races (or species I guess) to be diminished (elves have a culture, dwarves have a culture, halflings have a culture, etc, especially in areas that are heavily populated by that race). That doesn't mean these cultures can't evolve, of course (and a halfling raised by orcs, rather than other halflings, may act more "orcish".)

I will admit that I am big fan of the gods (I know some people have issues with how involved they are), and I enjoy settings with well-established afterlives. This is kind of why I have stayed away from Eberron and Dark Sun--from what little I know, the settings seem to the deities far removed, and the only option for the afterlife sounds pretty grim. At least other settings have various options.

I'm honestly not sure what to think of the alignment thing. Would the change only affect the mortals? If it's based on choices--which it kind of already is--a person goes to the plane based on how they lived their life (so a person who has made evil choices would go to an evil plane, for example).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Right, the word "master" has been used in many different contexts. I doubt anyone has ever had a problem with the term "master of ceremonies". ;)
Right. The reason some realtors are removing the term isn’t that “master” is an inherently problematic term. It’s that “master bedroom” gives a lot of folks the same vibes as “plantation wedding”. It makes folks feel like they’re being sold on the appeal of the house on the basis of getting a bedroom so big they’ll feel like “the master” of the house, which only really has bad connotations. Ya got slavery, aristocracy and wealth that might as well be aristocracy, and patriarchal ideas of the man naturally and automatically being the master of his home.

“Master cylinder” and “Slave Circuit” have the master/slave dichotomy, but as technical jargon they aren’t under as much scrutiny.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
Why would they be functionally identical? Dwarves would still have Poison Resistance, Elves would have Trance, etc. It would only be the ASIs that are more freely moved around, and this would promote more character freedom when they make their characters.
The problem with this is some people like working with limitations - they encourage creativity.
I also personally struggle with the concept of a Str 18 goblin or gnome, never mind 20.

Masters degree. Master classes. Apprentice, journeyman, and master tradesman levels. Chess master levels. TV shows: Master Chef, Masters of Horror, Duels Masters, Lego Masters. Video games: Blaster Master, Star Wars Masters of Teras Kasi, Mega Man robot masters.

The word "master", per se, seems pretty innocuous to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads