• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Epic Level Creature: The Glacial Ooze.

Krishnath

First Post
Comments would be appreciated.

-

Glacial Ooze
Colossal Ooze (Cold)
Hit Dice:
52d10+676 (962 hp)
Initiative: -4
Speed: 15’ (3 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (-8 size, -4 Dex, +22 natural); touch 0; Flat-footed 20.
Base Attack/Grapple: +39/+73
Attack: Slam +49 melee (4d6+27 plus 4d6 cold plus 2d6 acid)
Full Attack: 4 Slams +49 melee (4d6+18 plus 4d6 cold plus 2d6 acid)
Space/Reach: 30’/15’
Special Attacks: Acid, Cold, Constrict 4d6+27 plus 4d6 cold plus 2d6 acid, Engulf, Improved grab,
Special Qualities: Blindsight 240’, Damage Reduction 15/epic, Deflection, Immunity to acid, cold, and electricity, Spell resistance 30, Vulnerable to fire and sonic,
Saves: Fort +30, Ref +13, Will +13
Abilities: Str 47, Dex 1, Con 37, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1,
Skills: Hide -21*
Feats: -
Environment: Cold land.
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 25
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 53+ HD (Colossal)

A small semi-transparent glacier lies stretched out before you, in it’s murky interior you can see the frozen bones of various creatures.

Glacial Oozes are among the largest and most dangerous of all oozes. Fortunately they are also very rare, and mostly non-aggressive, only waking once every few dozen years to feed. Sometimes creatures build they homes near a glacial ooze, thinking it to be just another small glacier, not realizing the danger they are in until the glacial ooze awakens and bear down upon them with it’s full force.
A glacial ooze looks just like any ordinary glacier, its gelatinous body covered in a hard shell of frozen ice. When it moves the ice cracks and fractures, allowing the ooze to lash out with its pseudopods and consume its prey.

Combat:
Glacial Oozes are mindless predators lashing out with up to four pseudopods or simply moving over their prey.
Acid (Ex): Glacial oozes secrete a powerful acid that dissolves everything except stone, and metal. Any melee hit or constrict attack deals acid damage. Non-metallic armor and clothing dissolves and becomes useless immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 49 reflex save. The save is constitution based.
The oozes acidic touch deals 32 points of acid damage per round to organic objects, but the ooze must remain in contact with the object for one full round.
Cold (Ex): The glacial oozes body radiates cold. This does not affect creatures around the ooze due to the thick layer of ice that surrounds it, but causes the attacks of the creature to deal 4d6 points of cold damage in addition to the normal and acid damage.
Constrict (Ex): A glacial ooze deals automatic slam, cold and acid damage with a successful grapple check. The opponent’s clothing and armor take a -4 penalty on Reflex saves against the acid.
Engulf (Ex): Although it moves slowly, a glacial ooze can simply mow down gargantuan or smaller creatures as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The ooze simply has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against the ooze, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 54 reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponents choice) as the ooze moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the ooze’s acid and cold, and are considered grappled and trapped within it’ body. The save DC is Strength based.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a glacial ooze must hit with a slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.
Deflection (Su): Any ray spell that targets the glacial ooze is automatically reflected back upon the caster, make a ranged touch attack using the oozes ranged attack bonus (+27 ranged) against the caster, if successful the ray is reflected back upon the caster, if a failure, the spell is simply wasted.
Skills: * Glacial oozes recieve a +40 circumstance bonus to hide checks when immobile.

-

What do you think?

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Very cool! I think the vulnerability to sonic is a nice touch, considering that sound often triggers avalanches. :cool:

Knight Otu

First Post
Shade said:
Very cool!
Should I counter and say that it is hot? :p

A great creature! I suspect someone might come around and say that oozes don't receive natural armor, but actually, they can get natural armor now. :)

Phineas Crow

First Post
Looks great.

I do see a couple errors, though. Its attack bonus should be +49 for the full attack and its damage bonus should be 1x Str bonus since it has multiple attacks via the 4 slam attacks.

EldonG

First Post
There really aren't enough epic things...and the number of high level oozes is just abysmal. We need more. More precisely, I need more, at least. ;)

I'd love your permission to use it in the modules I'm writing - I'm rather partial to oozes. Fully credited, of course... :)

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Mm... oozes. Good ol' 1st edition style piles of deadly slime. Only now with more hit points. Nicely done, Krish.

Demiurge out.

Krishnath

First Post
Phineas Crow said:
Looks great.

I do see a couple errors, though. Its attack bonus should be +49 for the full attack and its damage bonus should be 1x Str bonus since it has multiple attacks via the 4 slam attacks.
Oops, forgot to add the str bonus to the full attack line... :p

EldonG: Credit me, and it's free to use. :D

(© 2004 Kristian L. Jensen)

Last edited:

GreyShadow

Explorer
Very nice. :)

This bit thou....

Krishnath said:
A small semi-transparent glacier lies stretched out before you, in it’s murky interior you can see the frozen bones of various creatures.

What sort of frozen bones could you see that would survive the acid?

Cheers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads