• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New errata for core books, dated 7/2/2008

Center-of-All

First Post
Um, yeah. 12 pages. For a product this size, the errata is positively tiny. Most comparable products of this magnitude (other gamebooks and textbooks) have as much or more, and are updated at a far slower rate.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Keywords [Revision]
Player’s Handbook, page 55
Replace the second and third sentences of the fourth paragraph with the
following: “Also, resistance doesn’t reduce damage unless the target has
resistance to each type of damage from the attack, and then only the weakest of
the resistances applies. For example, a character who has resist 10 lightning and
resist 5 thunder who takes 15 lightning and thunder damage takes 10 damage
because the resistance value to the combined damage types is limited by the
lesser of the two resistances.”

Excellent, they decided to implement my houserule. About time too - it was ridiculous to have higher level, multiple-keyword spells be less effective at delivering their damage. This method just makes more sense full stop.

Incidentally, it makes the specific calling out of this behaviour in Astral Storm (Cleric attack 29) redundant, since it is now the official default way of handling multiple keywords.

Cheers

Blade Cascade got (relatively) put in its place. Yay.

Next order of business is to rein in Seal of Binding (Cleric 25) and Righteous Brand (Cleric at-will).

What is broken with R. Brand, in your opinion?
STR to attack, STR modifier-worth of attack bonus for an ally.

One stat, multiple benefits. Most powers in 4e don't work that way. That's one reason.

Another reason is that attack bonuses are HUGE in 4e, and considering that this at-will gives a bigger one than any daily, yeah, it's obscene.

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer
STR to attack, STR modifier-worth of attack bonus for an ally.

One stat, multiple benefits. Most powers in 4e don't work that way. That's one reason.

Another reason is that attack bonuses are HUGE in 4e, and considering that this at-will gives a bigger one than most dailies (including its WIS-based counterpart), yeah, it's obscene.

First of all, I acknowledge that it is quite powerful. Calling it obscene however, is IMHO a gross exaggeration.

First of all, the cleric is per definition the "buffer" of 4e, along with the warlord, who can also give some pretty nifty bonuses.

Second of all, it requires the cleric to endanger himself, ie being in melee, as opposed to other powers that are usable at a distance.

Third of all, it is hardly gamebreaking. Yes, it is a great buff, but the cleric still has to use an at-will power to grant it. As you get higher level, you will be using your at-wills less and less, since you have more encounters and dailies. However, if you compare it to Blade Cascade, I am sure you will recognize the difference between good and obscene. (hint: BC was obscene, RB isn't anywhere near that). This is however based on theory from my part, as I do not have a cleric in my campaign - what are the odds with 7 players.

Cheers

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
From what I've heard, it's less that they didn't playtest the skill challenges and more that that the version the playtesters were using was different then the version in the PHB.
Which basically means that the printed version wasn't playtested... ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Incidentally, it makes the specific calling out of this behaviour in Astral Storm (Cleric attack 29) redundant, since it is now the official default way of handling multiple keywords.

It also shuts down one of the key arguments for the "Power inherits all keywords of an implement's power, even if you aren't using that power at the time" reading... since now, adding the Fire keyword to Radiant damage and making all damage Fire damage have the same effect, so the Flaming Sword example no longer proves that this reading is being used.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads