New Feat: Tactical Leader

koga305

First Post
We're talking about Warlords over on the 5E board, and I brought up the point that there's no feat granting an "at-will" Warlord-style ability. So I wrote one!

Tactical Leader
You are an expert at leading your allies to victory, directing their strikes against the most powerful enemies you face. You gain the following benefits:

• Friendly creatures within 30 feet of you who can see and hear you (including yourself) gain a +2 bonus to Initiative.
  • If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to take the Help action to aid an ally in attacking your target.
  • When you score a critical hit on a creature, you may choose one ally. That ally may immediately use its reaction to make one weapon attack against the same creature.

Some concerns: The +2 initiative might be too fiddly. Alert does give a +5 bonus but that's large and easy to remember. I'd like the feat to have a "static" bonus if possible, since it already has an "active" and a "triggered" one, but I can't think of much else that's on-theme for a Warlord character. The second ability is awkwardly worded but I can't think of a better way to do it.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Maybe something involving movement? Positioning is also part of the 4E Warlord.
How about something like this for an actively chosen ability?

• If you take the Attack action on your turn to make a weapon attack, an ally of your choice that you can see can use a reaction to perform either the dash or the disengage action.

koga305

First Post
Wow. That's practically buying your party a Cunning Action (minus the hide) that they can pass around as needed every turn. I like the idea, but it's pretty strong - maybe there's a way to implement a stronger version of this ability that isn't at-will.

The Critical hit feature makes the feat very juicy for Champion fighters (and Assassins!). From a 'meta' point of view I would consider making the feat more appealing to Battle-masters and Paladins.

How about:

Tactical Leader
You are an expert at leading your allies to victory, directing their strikes against the most powerful enemies you face. You gain the following benefits:

• You gain + 1 to your Charisma or Strength Score to a maximum of 20.
  • Friendly creatures within 30 feet of you who can see and hear you (including yourself) gain a +2 bonus to Initiative.
  • If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use the Help action as a bonus action on the same turn. The ally you Help must be within 30 feet of you, and able to see and hear you to receive this benefit.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Wow. That's practically buying your party a Cunning Action (minus the hide) that they can pass around as needed every turn. I like the idea, but it's pretty strong - maybe there's a way to implement a stronger version of this ability that isn't at-will.

Admittedly, the at-will granting of a reaction on an attack is a bit much. Maybe make it only if you hit, so not every round?
Among the 4E Warlord At-Will powers, a couple of them do grant mobility: 4E's Opening Shove lets an ally shift your INT squares (or make an attack) if you hit; and 4E's Wolf Pack Tactics grants a free 1-square shift to one ally adjacent to either you or your target, before you make your attack.

Other alternative ideas: 4E's Inevitable Wave lets any ally who charges your target deal extra damage to that target (for a while) after you hit it with a melee weapon attack, while 4E's Paint the Bulls-Eye lets them deal extra damage to your target (for a while) after you hit it with a ranged weapon attack. You might want to rejigger those to make separate points about melee and ranged attacks, without trying to grant a bonus action or the use of a reaction.

Remove ads