New Feats for review

Romotre

First Post
All Out Attack [General]

You sacrafice defense in order to aid in attacking.

Prerequisites: Base Attack +1 or higher

Benefit: You may take a dodge penalty of up to 10+dex to AC for one full round. All melee attack made in this round have a bonus of the same amount.

Basically the opposite of expertise. It giving up all dex bonus and your base armor so you can really hit that emey the last time and be a dramatic hero. Over-powered? More preq's?

Nimble Weapons [General]

You are adept at using reach weapons at close range.

Prerequisites: Base Attack of +4 or higher, Dex 13+

Benefit: As a free action, you may "switch grips" of any weapon you are proficent with so that you may attack enemies next to you. You suffer a -4 penalty to all attacks made in this way.

Improved Nimble Weapons [General]

You can mastered using reach weapons at close range

Prerequisites: Base Attack of +8 or higher, Dex 15+, Nimble Weapons

Benefit: You do not suffer the -4 penalty inccured from attacking at close range with a reach weapon.

These two remind me of Jackie Chan. High base attack keeps it out of low level characters hands, and you have to use two feats (instead of one for exotic weapon prof: spiked chain or something) but you are more versatile.

What do you smart people think?

Crothian

First Post
All Out Attack [General]

----You should limit it to a max of BAB at least.

Nimble Weapons [General]

----I'd also require the damage to be reduced by at least a die. You lose a lot of power doing this. Maybe have strength damage be normal instead of x1.5 also.

----Not bad

Romotre

First Post
On all out attack, i think you're missing the point. Your base armor (10) and you dex bonus are all con-shus efforts on you behalf to avoid getting hurt. this feat in not based on your bab, you your ability to throw caution to the wind and make a desperate attack. if you are obviously outclassed by an enemy, you aren't going to beat him straight. you need to give up perosnal safety and comfort in order to surprise them with a increbile lunge or whatever. i agree that maybe it needs to be limited (5+dex/2?) but having it based on base attack does not encompass the idea of the feat

On nimble weapon, good suggestion. I think I'll use it or something like it.

Crothian

First Post
Your right, basing it off of BAB doesn't make sense. But it still should be based off of something that grows with the character. At first level getting +5 to attack is huge. I offered the BAB because it grow with the character and PA and Expertise are both based off of it amnd those are the closest feats we have to this.

Romotre

First Post
yes, you are correct, all out attack is the missing triplet of power attack and expertise. with the modified limits, 5+dex/2, assume even a good dex of 14. that's a +6 to attack at first level. oh you did hit and kill the kobold. oh, the other kobolds turn? what's your AC? 9? oh..you lunge at the first kobold, running it straight through the heart. but you powerful lunge has left you off balance and exposed and the kobold seize the oppurtinty (sounds of pain as character drops the 3 little stabbings). i think its balanced decently. haven't playtested though. may find that 10+dex is fine (if you want a 3 AC). maybe improved all out attack with a greater limit?

Geoff Watson

First Post
The Base 10 AC is NOT a 'conshus' effort on defence. You keep it under all conditions, including surprise, and even when helpless (though the -5 dex penalty makes it pretty useless).

I think it should be limited like Expertise (maybe a 'normal' version of +2/-4 like Fighting Defensively), but even then it can be quite good. With Power Attack and Expertise the attack penalty will matter, as they are used when attacking.

There are many situations where an AC penalty does not matter; surprise attacks, fighting most spellcasters/creatures with magical attacks, where you outnumber the foe significantly or the foe has already selected a target. The archers can afford to drop their AC if the enemy is already in melee with the front rank fighters. This could be devestating with Power Attack.

Nimble Weapon:
Allow only one hold change per round, and when the weapon is used at 5' it loses reach. I don't think the -4 penalty is necessary, though -1 to damage sounds fine. Maybe have a 'normal' version where it's a move equivalent to change and they get the -4.

Improved Nimble Weapon:
Treat the weapon like a Spiked Chain, able to attack both reach and close with no penalty.

Geoff.

Romotre

First Post
ok your are right, it was bad wording. base ac of 10 is taking 10 on all AC "rolls" (see the variant in the DMG where you roll d20 every round to determine base AC)

I think it should be limited like Expertise (maybe a 'normal' version of +2/-4 like Fighting Defensively), but even then it can be quite good. With Power Attack and Expertise the attack penalty will matter, as they are used when attacking.

well superior expertise can go up to 20 (i know, two feats). but remember, usually you will be taking more hits that giving, so AC is more of a factor.

The archers can afford to drop their AC
This only works if YOU are in melee with an enemy with a MELEE weapon (sorry i guess you'd assume) otherwise, i think its pretty balanced and could make for some interesting fights.

in terms of nimble weapon (comp being weird, quote not working) i think the switching once/round is a good idea. the damage will only be str mod not 1.5 str mod. making it a move equivalent to change would make it useless (almost). the -4 gives incentive to get the other feat, makes sense, and balances them.

i also like the idea of making improved nimble weapon threaten both 5' and 10' and take away the -4. the high preq's keep it balanced

i'm not going to mess with all out attack much more...its a simple feat with a simple concept.

Romotre

First Post
Revised Feats

All Out Attack [General]

You sacrafice defense in order to aid in attacking.

Prerequisites: Base Attack +1 or higher

Benefit: You may take a dodge penalty of up to 10+dex to AC for one full round. All melee attack made in this round have a bonus of the same amount.

Nimble Weapons [General]

You are adept at using reach weapons at close range.

Prerequisites: Base Attack of +4 or higher, Dex 13+

Benefit: As a free action, you may "switch grip" (once/round) of any reach weapon you are proficent with so that you may attack enemies next to you. You suffer a -4 penalty to all attacks made in this way. The weapon becomes a regular weapon without reach and you only add 1X str mod instead of 1.5X for using two hands

You can mastered using reach weapons at close range

Prerequisites: Base Attack of +8 or higher, Dex 15+, Nimble Weapons

Benefit: You do not suffer the -4 penalty inccured from attacking at close range with a reach weapon. You also threaten 5' and 10' with reach weapons (like a spiked chain)

silasfly

First Post
comments

I agree that the base AC of 10 is not something that you can consciously drop. Besides, I think that makes the feat too powerful. I would change it so that you could consciously drop your dex bonus, as well as any or all dodge bonuses you have. This would make your feat good for people with a high Dex, as well as people with the Dodge feat. This represents a character using his dodging skills to get a better position for attacking. (incidentally gnomes and dwarves getting a +4 dodge bonus against giants could get a little boost as well). That is still extremely powerful, since the best defense is a good offense. Honestly, if you could trade +3 AC for +3 to hit, wouldn't you do it ALL the time? I would.

Romotre

First Post
the point of the feat is to be able to sacrafice personal safety to get the last/vital attack (like diving to catch something). the point is not to just trade a little. any dodge bonus to trade is a good idea. how about limiting it to once/round? make it 10+dodge but you can only do it once/round.

Remove ads